Letters of recommendations question? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mikey

Platinum

Letters of recommendations question?

Post by Mikey » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:27 pm

I will be applying in the Fall 2016, and was just wondering if this time of year would be too early to ask professors for letters of recommendations? Or should I wait until the current semester ends? Also, does the professor send me the LOR and then i send it to LSAC, or do they send it directly to LSAC (email or mail?)?

tsujimoto74

Bronze

Re: Letters of recommendations question?

Post by tsujimoto74 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:18 pm

http://www.lsac.org/jd/applying-to-law- ... valuations

Unless you've got a reason to wait (eg: something upcoming that will be new info for them to write about), you may as well ask now. I waited until September/October to ask for LORs, and then I got stuck waiting for one until January. If I had it to do over, I would've started that process in the summer when the school year workload wasn't eating up all of my former professors' time.

mynameiskevin

New

Post by mynameiskevin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:01 pm

TheMikey wrote:I will be applying in the Fall 2016, and was just wondering if this time of year would be too early to ask professors for letters of recommendations? Or should I wait until the current semester ends? Also, does the professor send me the LOR and then i send it to LSAC, or do they send it directly to LSAC (email or mail?)?
Once you designate the professor as your recommender, LSAC sends an email link to him/her. Then the prof uploads your recommendation letter to LSAC directly, and LSAC sends you a notification email saying the prof successfully uploaded your recommendatin letter.

Abraham Lincoln Uni.

Bronze

Post by Abraham Lincoln Uni. » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:31 pm

It is not too soon to ask for a letter of recommendation. Professors are usually busy with grading, drafting exams, planning lectures, office hours, as well as other obligations so the sooner you ask for a letter the better so they can plan accordingly and in the event they cannot write a letter, you can make other arrangements.
The professor may ask for your resume/CV, meet with you during office hours, or have you send him/her a letter to give more information about yourself so that way he/she can write a solid letter. Due to their busy schedule, it is best to give them ample time and be considerate of their time.

You do not need to obtain the letter directly. LSAC will send the professor information needed to complete the recommendation and then you will receive a notification once it has been successfully submitted or uploaded.
Best of luck!

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:16 am

Ask for letters are early as possible.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:36 am

TheMikey wrote:I will be applying in the Fall 2016, and was just wondering if this time of year would be too early to ask professors for letters of recommendations? Or should I wait until the current semester ends? Also, does the professor send me the LOR and then i send it to LSAC, or do they send it directly to LSAC (email or mail?)?
Might as well ask now. It's not too early. And the professor will create an account on LSAC (if they haven't already) and then upload the letter. If they're a boomer who doesn't know how the internet works, then you can offer to provide them with the LSAC LOR affidavit, envelope, postage, and address they need to send the letter to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”