What is your maximum commute?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Max commute

2:00 hr
3%
1:45 hr
No votes
1:30 hr
8%
1:15 hr
8%
1:00 hr
22%
0:45 hr
14%
0:30 hr
28%
0:15 hr
13%
dorm within walking distance of class
5%

Total votes: 64

Maplesyrup

Bronze

What is your maximum commute?

Postby Maplesyrup » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:39 pm

Would i be crazy to drive an hour and a half one way to school each day?

blsingindisguise

Silver

Re: What is your maximum commute?

Postby blsingindisguise » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Crazy, no, but there has to be some kind of tradeoff that's worth it for you. If it means saving $60-80K in debt because you are living at home or something, I can see it being worth it. It will mean you'll need a little extra discipline to study, because you'll have less time and be more tired from the drive. Maybe you can record lectures to listen to in the car or make some kind of audio study aid.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Postby blsingindisguise » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Also consider parking -- does 1.5 hrs include time to park? Is there a dedicated parking lot that will always have room or are you going to be scrambling for a street space?

emkay625

Gold

Postby emkay625 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:49 pm

Maplesyrup wrote:Would i be crazy to drive an hour and a half one way to school each day?

Yes. Barring some kind of atypical circumstance (like you're married with children and own your home and thus can't move) this seems like a terrible idea.

Edited to add: Law school is graded on a curve. That's three extra hours come finals time that your classmates have to study and you don't.

doublehoohopeful

Silver

Postby doublehoohopeful » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:56 pm

I've commuted between two and four hours every day for a while now. If it is possible, do not do it.

unsweetened

Silver

Postby unsweetened » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:09 pm

emkay625 wrote:
Maplesyrup wrote:Would i be crazy to drive an hour and a half one way to school each day?

Yes. Barring some kind of atypical circumstance (like you're married with children and own your home and thus can't move) this seems like a terrible idea.

Edited to add: Law school is graded on a curve. That's three extra hours come finals time that your classmates have to study and you don't.

About that study time... if you aggregate that time, you are losing 150ish hours each semester to commuting that you could have used to study instead.

hairbear7

Silver

Postby hairbear7 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:17 pm

Yeah unless you're saving tens of thousands of dollars this seems crazy. That's a lot of wasted time.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:24 pm

Don't worry about the lost study time. People grossly overestimate / exaggerate the amount of time spent actually doing work/studying during 1L. Finals, sure...but regular semester, its much less than a 9-5 job.

That being said, I still wouldnt want to commute that long, but if its a possibility, I am sure there are valid reasons for it.

Maplesyrup

Bronze

Postby Maplesyrup » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:13 pm

thanks for the replies everyone. it looks like if i wake up super early and beat traffic then i could cut it down to 1 hr, the intent is to keep from uprooting my wife from her job. i'll weigh the pros and cons carefully, i was worried mostly about the lost time, on the other hand i don't really mind driving, it sort of relaxes me.

RareExports

Silver

Postby RareExports » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:25 pm

1.5 hours is pretty bad. My commute is between 45 and 60 minutes one way most days, and although I don't mind it too much, I enjoy driving, and I'm not sure I could do much longer. Some time is nice to reflect on and plan for the day. But 1.5 hours is pretty bad -- you would need to like driving and not mind buying gas every few days for it to be advisable.

Minnietron

Silver

Postby Minnietron » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:38 pm

1) Record your notes and listen to them on the drive. Auditory reinforcement will cement the concepts better than visual alone. 2) Destroy 1L exams due to said cementation. 3) Sell your recordings to 1Ls with your class rank as proof that it works. 4) If you receive complaints from 1Ls about efficacy of recordings, let them know that it was anecdotal proof and remind them they paid way more to learn less from the actual class.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadthrone7

New

Postby deadthrone7 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:04 am

I do it 5 days a week. No doubt about it, it sucks. I try to make up that time lost by listening to barbri lectures or Sum and Substance CDs. Its doable, just have to make use of time in the car.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Postby blsingindisguise » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:59 am

Maplesyrup wrote:thanks for the replies everyone. it looks like if i wake up super early and beat traffic then i could cut it down to 1 hr, the intent is to keep from uprooting my wife from her job. i'll weigh the pros and cons carefully, i was worried mostly about the lost time, on the other hand i don't really mind driving, it sort of relaxes me.

It would be crazy to have your wife give up income for you to go to law school imo. Crazier than a long commute. But be realistic and not optimistic about the time, and, again, factor in parking too (don't be the guy who is always late because "couldn't find parking!" i.e. didn't factor in extra time for parking).

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:18 am

My commute during law school was probs 45 min to an hour one way depending on traffic. It isn't the greatest but you can manage and still do well in law school no doubt.

lawyerinlouboutins

New

Postby lawyerinlouboutins » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:20 am

It will suck, but it is definitely possible. Make the time worth your while. Like someone else said, listen to class recordings you make during the trip. Are you going to be saving money by commuting?

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:24 am

unsweetened

Silver

Postby unsweetened » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:13 pm

sublime wrote:
unsweetened wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

About that study time... if you aggregate that time, you are losing 150ish hours each semester to commuting that you could have used to study instead.

Your peers will waste much more time drinking while you waste much more time driving.

While I'm inclined to agree with you there, peer tendencies are outside the scope of OP's control. Commute time is within OP's dominion and would allow more time for... drinking.

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:51 pm

Platinum

Postby 03152016 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:51 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FredTheFish

New

Postby FredTheFish » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:44 pm

unsweetened wrote:
sublime wrote:
unsweetened wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

Your peers will waste much more time drinking while you waste much more time driving.

While I'm inclined to agree with you there, peer tendencies are outside the scope of OP's control. Commute time is within OP's dominion and would allow more time for... drinking.

He can just combine the two for maximum efficiency.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�