What are my chances?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ellewoods1

New

What are my chances?

Postby ellewoods1 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:52 pm

Hi, I'm new here, I'm taking the LSAT next Saturday. I've never been a great test taker though. I want to apply to Columbia Law from Columbia College, I have a 3.95 GPA in a STEM major but my LSAT practice test averages between 168 and 170... I always seem to psych myself out on test day. What I'm asking is:
A) are my chances still good (applying ED and a legacy if it matters)
B) any advice
Thanks so much

grades??

Silver

Re: What are my chances?

Postby grades?? » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:17 pm

ellewoods1 wrote:Hi, I'm new here, I'm taking the LSAT next Saturday. I've never been a great test taker though. I want to apply to Columbia Law from Columbia College, I have a 3.95 GPA in a STEM major but my LSAT practice test averages between 168 and 170... I always seem to psych myself out on test day. What I'm asking is:
A) are my chances still good (applying ED and a legacy if it matters)
B) any advice
Thanks so much

your chances are zero until you actually take the lsat. My practice tests were in the mid 170s and first test I got a high 150s. Now I was able to fix it on a later test, but don't count your eggs before you have them. Study.

LetsGoNow

New

Postby LetsGoNow » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:19 pm

Most people will likely say

1. You need an actual LSAT score first and/or

2. Go to LSN.

You mentioned ED, so I'm assuming you are applying next cycle, and not this one, am I right? If so, I would say 168-170 with 3.95 gives you a solid chance. However, you should have plenty of time to study for June if you score anywhere under 170. Worst case, you have October/December too. A 172+ would nearly lock you in, especially being from Columbia (at that point, I would even suggest going the RD route for competing scholarships).

ellewoods1

New

Postby ellewoods1 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Thanks! My problem is that I can't seem to improve my scores, I feel like I've studied endlessly but it's been hard on top of work (as a legal research assistant and as a teaching assistant) and five classes with two labs.
Any advice for someone who cant seem to increase her score? I keep making the same mistakes, almost always on the logical reasoning section and I'm worried I'm going to do worse than I have been doing on my practice tests next Saturday.
And yes, I'm applying next cycle, unless I do really well on Saturday in which case I'd consider AILE...

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Postby BirdLawExpert » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:28 am

ellewoods1 wrote:Thanks! My problem is that I can't seem to improve my scores, I feel like I've studied endlessly but it's been hard on top of work (as a legal research assistant and as a teaching assistant) and five classes with two labs.
Any advice for someone who cant seem to increase her score? I keep making the same mistakes, almost always on the logical reasoning section and I'm worried I'm going to do worse than I have been doing on my practice tests next Saturday.
And yes, I'm applying next cycle, unless I do really well on Saturday in which case I'd consider AILE...

What method are you using to study? Do you learn better on your own with the material, one-on-one with an instructor, or in a classroom setting? I used 7sage because I wanted to study at a faster pace than classroom sessions offer and the price was significantly more palatable than tutoring sessions, but what worked for any of us might not work for you.

That being said, you've got two or three more opportunities after next week to improve if you don't get the score you want; the absolute worst thing you can do next week is terrify yourself into making simple mistakes and getting a low score.

Additionally, testing fatigue is absolutely real for the LSAT. If you've hit a significant plateau you should consider stepping back from the test and focusing on other things until Wednesday or Thursday, then briefly revisiting some concepts you've been struggling with a day or two before the test; unfortunately you're at the point in the testing calendar where it's incredibly difficult to make significant improvements and not at all guaranteed even if you work eight hours a day. Do not overload the week before, I did and I ended up missing a few questions that I never would have had I been properly rested and relaxed.

RedWhite&Blonde

Bronze

Postby RedWhite&Blonde » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:53 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
ellewoods1 wrote:Thanks! My problem is that I can't seem to improve my scores, I feel like I've studied endlessly but it's been hard on top of work (as a legal research assistant and as a teaching assistant) and five classes with two labs.

What method are you using to study? Do you learn better on your own with the material, one-on-one with an instructor, or in a classroom setting? I used 7sage because I wanted to study at a faster pace than classroom sessions offer and the price was significantly more palatable than tutoring sessions, but what worked for any of us might not work for you.

That being said, you've got two or three more opportunities after next week to improve if you don't get the score you want; the absolute worst thing you can do next week is terrify yourself into making simple mistakes and getting a low score.

Additionally, testing fatigue is absolutely real for the LSAT. If you've hit a significant plateau you should consider stepping back from the test and focusing on other things until Wednesday or Thursday, then briefly revisiting some concepts you've been struggling with a day or two before the test; unfortunately you're at the point in the testing calendar where it's incredibly difficult to make significant improvements and not at all guaranteed even if you work eight hours a day. Do not overload the week before, I did and I ended up missing a few questions that I never would have had I been properly rested and relaxed.

You don't want to test too many times, though, so be careful of that...also, you might want to go back and edit your posts to remove potentially identifying details.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�