What is a LOCI and should I send one? LOCI Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
iwantwisconsin

What is a LOCI and should I send one? LOCI Law School

Postby iwantwisconsin » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:37 pm

Ok, so I just got a "hold" letter from Miami, telling me that my file will be reviewed again before April 30, 2008. I called Miami and asked if there was a difference between hold and waitlist, and a woman said there was. She said couldn't tell me which one was better. Which is better? WL or Hold? Secondly, the letter says that I should send more stuff (i.e. new LSAT score, final grades, personal statement not included in original). I have no idea what I could possibly send because I already through in everything, including a resume, sample brief from my current job (paralegal), PS, and addendum discussing my freshman year grades. I have a pretty eclectic background (teaching in Japan, paralegal for legal aid, internships througout college), but I discuss all of this in my PS and it would be redundant--what else could I possibly write about in a LOCI? I'm having my boss write a LOR for me, but other than that, I can't think of anything else to send. Any advice?

logicallauren

Re: What the hell is a LOCI and should I send one?

Postby logicallauren » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:41 pm

A hold is better than a waitlist, IMO and from what I hear around here. There are some threads on this already, but with a hold they're just taking more time to make a decision, and with a waitlist they've already decided that they only want you if more room opens up.

A LOCI is a short letter that shows the school you're still interested. Here, you tell them why you want to go there, why you'd make a good match, etc.

The letter of rec. is good, also send an updated transcript (if you're still in college).

Pyke

Postby Pyke » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:55 pm

An LOCI is basically a letter, generally 1 page, that talks about your continued interest in the school and what you've been up to. Generally you want to provide them with new information.

I did withdraw from Miami this week - and as more people follow suit that will help you :P

futurelawyer413

Postby futurelawyer413 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:05 pm

Letter of Continued Interest

= LOCI!

Ken

Re: What is a LOCI and should I send one? LOCI Law School

Postby Ken » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:24 am

A great post about LOCI with two examples can be found at:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=60839&p=1289371#p1289371

Below is an excellent post (from Sockpuppet) that discusses the LOCI for Law School.

Letter of Continuing Interest. Law schools ask for them, and candidates may send them, in order to let schools know that they still want to attend after the school offers a wait list spot, or if it's just been three to six months and the applicant has heard nothing.

Quote:
What should they contain? Should they be mailed or emailed? What is the appropriate length?

What to include will depend on what they say or ask for in any wait list or defer letter that you get. Often they ask that you send specific things, or that you reply by email or phone or using their paper form to confirm that you want a wait list spot. Unless they ask for some extended response, I would say they should be no more than one page. Other than that, just write a standard format business letter along the lines of:

Code:
Pyke
Groveling Hovel, Canada
LSAC: 00000000

January 1, 2008

Too Good For Me Law School
123 Superior Avenue
Uptown, USA

Dear Admissions Officer Who Spurned My Affection:

(or Admissions Committee if you have no signed letters from them)

Thanks for taking your time to consider me ... blah blah blah has happened since I first applied ... The offer of my first born child for a spot in your Fall 2008 class still stands ... Please let me know if you need anything else, and also to whom I should send this really huge sack of cash.

Sincerely,

Desperate To Attend

For more information on LOCI Law School, use the search function at the top left of the forum:

index.php

overprivileged

Postby overprivileged » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:57 pm

Ken wrote:A great post about LOCI with two examples can be found at:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=60839&p=1289371#p1289371

Below is an excellent post (from Sockpuppet) that discusses the LOCI for Law School.

Letter of Continuing Interest. Law schools ask for them, and candidates may send them, in order to let schools know that they still want to attend after the school offers a wait list spot, or if it's just been three to six months and the applicant has heard nothing.

Quote:
What should they contain? Should they be mailed or emailed? What is the appropriate length?

What to include will depend on what they say or ask for in any wait list or defer letter that you get. Often they ask that you send specific things, or that you reply by email or phone or using their paper form to confirm that you want a wait list spot. Unless they ask for some extended response, I would say they should be no more than one page. Other than that, just write a standard format business letter along the lines of:

Code:
Pyke
Groveling Hovel, Canada
LSAC: 00000000

January 1, 2008

Too Good For Me Law School
123 Superior Avenue
Uptown, USA

Dear Admissions Officer Who Spurned My Affection:

(or Admissions Committee if you have no signed letters from them)

Thanks for taking your time to consider me ... blah blah blah has happened since I first applied ... The offer of my first born child for a spot in your Fall 2008 class still stands ... Please let me know if you need anything else, and also to whom I should send this really huge sack of cash.

Sincerely,

Desperate To Attend

For more information on LOCI Law School, use the search function at the top left of the forum:

index.php

Helpful AND genius. Thanks so much!

Chudancha

Postby Chudancha » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:42 am

Should the letter of Loci be sent through LSAC or directly to the admissions office? Is there a choice?

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:12 am

directly to admissions office

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”