Need some clarity on timing Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
O.J.

Bronze

Need some clarity on timing

Post by O.J. » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:42 pm

Hey guys, hope you are all well. :)

I'm a junior in college. Quick question. In order to maximize my GPA by including my senior year grades, I decided to wait until the fall after my senior year to apply to LS (following my spring graduation), instead of next fall when I begin my senior year. Has anyone done this before, and did it help you?

I need to do this because my freshman year was terrible, so the math gives me an entire senior year to elevate my GPA into the 3.6-3.8 range.

If I'm working the time correctly, this means I will essentially have a gap year. If you applied this way, did you use the gap year for volunteering at law offices, and, did it make it onto your applications in time to really count?

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

O.J.

Bronze

Re: Need some clarity on timing

Post by O.J. » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Also, I plan to begin the 12-wk (or 16-wk) LSAT Trainer course beginning in June after my senior year, so I can take in October, and retake in December if needed. Is that a reasonable schedule? I thought it best since I will have those 4 months off after school. Lastly, if I had to retake in December, but I've already applied earlier in November, do LSAC and schools get that updated score in time?

Thanks again guys, sorry for so many questions. :)

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:02 pm

I'm a junior in college. Quick question. In order to maximize my GPA by including my senior year grades, I decided to wait until the fall after my senior year to apply to LS (following my spring graduation), instead of next fall when I begin my senior year. Has anyone done this before, and did it help you?
I did not do this (as I applied several years after UG) but obviously having a better GPA will give you better admission prospects, so sounds like a good idea. Aside from GPA concerns, it is certainly a good idea to give yourself some time off before law school for many reasons.
If you applied this way, did you use the gap year for volunteering at law offices, and, did it make it onto your applications in time to really count?
Again, not speaking from experience, but the general wisdom on here is that work experience matters very little, especially for applicants who have only been out of college a short time, unless it is incredibly impressive or possibly if military-related. Law-related work won't help your application, but might be a good idea for you personally to be able to assess whether a career in law is what you want. Otherwise, just get a job you like and/or where you can make as much money as possible in preparation for the expense of law school. Preparing for the LSAT and getting a top score is infinitely more important than where you decide to work.
Also, I plan to begin the 12-wk (or 16-wk) LSAT Trainer course beginning in June after my senior year, so I can take in October, and retake in December if needed. Is that a reasonable schedule?
Possibly. The ultimate test of whether a schedule is reasonable is results. What are your PTs looking like? If you do the 12-week course and your are scoring in the 170s consistently on practice tests, then it was a reasonable schedule. If not, you might need more time. In general, I think 6-months is probably a good time-frame, but certainly 3 or 4 months can be enough. Given that you have some time, I would start doing some light prep now, just to familiarize yourself with the test format and question types, and then ramp up your intensity as the test approaches.
Lastly, if I had to retake in December, but I've already applied earlier in November, do LSAC and schools get that updated score in time?
Depends. If you apply in November, a school could conceivably ding you before your Dec scores come out, in which case obviously they wouldn't get the updated score. If you get waitlisted, held, or just remain in limbo until January, then, yes, they will get the updated score and consider it.

That said, you should not apply until you have an actual score. If your Oct score puts you in solid contention at a school or schools, put in your applications. If your scores make you competitive, chance are you will either be accepted, or you will remain in the pool long enough for your retake to be considered. If your score is low, just wait until you do a retake and get a better score to apply.

O.J.

Bronze

Post by O.J. » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:15 pm

Perfect answers, thanks!

One follow up. So, let's say that October score isn't great. You suggest holding my aps until my December score, but wouldn't it be too late to apply in late December when results are released, or is there still plenty of time?

Thanks again!

hew

New

Post by hew » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:38 am

I don't think it's going to make much of a difference tbh. Especially if you use that year off to volunteer at a law office. Law offices have interns that are law students, so you would essentially be doing the grunt work and won't really be getting too much out of it. I also would recommend taking it in June if that's your plan. December will be a bit late depending on what your GPA ends up being and your LSAT score. Then, if you don't like the June score, you can retake in October, and that would give you significantly better prospects. I just finished applying this cycle and these are just my thoughts on the process. I wish I would have applied earlier, like after the October test. That way you give yourself a really good chance of getting scholarship money. There's also fewer applicants, so less competition.

Now, as far as the GPA goes, you are not the only person who has screwed up their GPA freshman year. I'm not sure that you would need an addendum (unless there's a real reason behind those grades), but regardless of how you finish your UG, those freshman grades are not changing. If your grades have been better sophomore and junior year, then the LS will notice that and see it as a change that YOU made. The GPA is looked at critically, so just because you have a 4.0 does not mean that you will be looked at differently than someone with a 3.8. They look at what classes you took, how hard they were, and where did you fall on the spectrum in both your overall graduating class and those specific classes. GPA is dissected. My source on this is talking to MANY admissions officers at various schools. I can name them if you want, lol but I don't think it makes a difference.

I think a year off should be used to your advantage if you take it. Do something useful but something that you also really want to do. You will have time to work at a law office basically 2/3 years of law school and potentially the rest of your life. It won't do a whole bunch for you other than show you what the life of a lawyer is like working at an office. I say "a whole bunch" meaning it won't help you get into LS. Let me know what you decide and feel free to DM with any other questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”