Who should write my LORs? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
arthrod

New

Who should write my LORs?

Post by arthrod » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:03 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm applying for the JD this semester. I'm an international attorney, who has an LLM in the US. I graduated in my home country more than 10 years ago. Although I was able to get a letter from a professor my home country, I was planning to send three letters, one from my current employer and two from my LLM professors, not sending any from my old school. Should I go with this or should I include the letter from my college/law school professor instead of one of my LLM letters?

My college in my home country was a Law degree.

Best,

Aeon

Silver

Re: Who should write my LORs?

Post by Aeon » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:43 pm

Unless the school to which you're applying expressly requests a letter from an undergraduate professor, I think your plan is fine. Ten years is a long time, and your current employer and LL.M. professors can probably speak better to your qualifications presently.

Is there any particular reason why you wish to undertake a J.D. program? An LL.M. already allows you to take the bar and practice law in New York and a few other states.

arthrod

New

Re: Who should write my LORs?

Post by arthrod » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:49 pm

Thanks for your comments, Aeon.

In fact, I am already barred in NY, but having an LLM was not sufficient to get a meaningful job for me in the US. So, that's why I'm applying to JD.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”