Who's Outperformed Their Numbers? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FredTheFish

New

Re: Who's Outperformed Their Numbers?

Post by FredTheFish » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:17 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Shib26 wrote: But that does raise the question of what exactly would be considered outperforming, below median with both numbers? below 25th?
Non-urm getting in with both numbers below median would be outperforming. Or with one number below a school's traditional floor.
Agreed. This was more of what I was looking for. Also if you were maybe slightly over median in one, but around the 25th or a little below in another (~50/~25). Even if someone got in off the waitlist, i'd be interested to hear a few success stories.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:23 am

Bluex12 wrote:3.3/172 KJD. In at Michigan so far. Surprised to see a T14 acceptance at all honestly, I figured I sunk my T14 hopes with my crap GPA. But I guess LSAT can be a big game-changer!
are you kidding? it's super easy to get into law school now

Bluex12

New

Post by Bluex12 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:30 am

El Pollito wrote:
Bluex12 wrote:3.3/172 KJD. In at Michigan so far. Surprised to see a T14 acceptance at all honestly, I figured I sunk my T14 hopes with my crap GPA. But I guess LSAT can be a big game-changer!
I guess generally it's much easier than in years past. But still, T14 is T14. I was pleasantly surprised.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:32 am

Bluex12 wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
I guess generally it's much easier than in years past. But still, T14 is T14. I was pleasantly surprised.
I would have bet everything I have that you'd get into Michigan.

DLM17

New

Post by DLM17 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:06 pm

I would be interested to hear from someone who outperformed their numbers and demolished 1L .. like bam I had low numbers AND finished top of my class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:42 pm

Clearly wrote:
Bluex12 wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
+1

but i would go even farther and say you would have gotten in to Michigan with a 3.0

FredTheFish

New

Post by FredTheFish » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:46 pm

kwabedi wrote:
Clearly wrote:
Bluex12 wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
+1

but i would go even farther and say you would have gotten in to Michigan with a 3.0
I'll go further and say at least one T14 would accept you if you had a 2.5/170+, as long as you decent reasons why your GPA was that low (maybe you were in undergrad 10 years ago and young and stupid but turned your life around since).

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:02 pm

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:09 pm

FredTheFish wrote:
kwabedi wrote:
Clearly wrote:
Bluex12 wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
+1

I'll go further and say at least one T14 would accept you if you had a 2.5/170+, as long as you decent reasons why your GPA was that low (maybe you were in undergrad 10 years ago and young and stupid but turned your life around since).
I'm 2/2 in the T14 (GULC and UVA) so far with a 2.7. I have really good reasons and WE though, and my LSAT is > all 75ths.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MDguy

New

Post by MDguy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:01 pm

Do I count as overperformed? In med school, 3.71, no LSAT, 97%ile MCAT, 2 yr WE, good softs, 1 mid impact LR pub. In at HYS and 7 other T14s. Thought I had no chance at T6 but very pleasantly surprised bob now getting in this early with a mediocre GPA.

Any idea how much money I can bargain for? Totally new to this, MD is not so numbers-driven. Is HYS with FA-only loans/scholly worth it over other T14s with more money if the end goal is health policy?

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:15 pm

MDguy wrote:Do I count as overperformed? In med school, 3.71, no LSAT, 97%ile MCAT, 2 yr WE, good softs, 1 mid impact LR pub. In at HYS and 7 other T14s. Thought I had no chance at T6 but very pleasantly surprised bob now getting in this early with a mediocre GPA.

Any idea how much money I can bargain for? Totally new to this, MD is not so numbers-driven. Is HYS with FA-only loans/scholly worth it over other T14s with more money if the end goal is health policy?
I realize that you got into the school, but this is for comparing those who got into the law school.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:30 pm

MDguy wrote:Do I count as overperformed? In med school, 3.71, no LSAT, 97%ile MCAT, 2 yr WE, good softs, 1 mid impact LR pub. In at HYS and 7 other T14s. Thought I had no chance at T6 but very pleasantly surprised bob now getting in this early with a mediocre GPA.

I am confused... this is a law school forum. Hence "TOP-LAW-SCHOOLS.COM"

MDguy

New

Post by MDguy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:01 pm

lymenheimer wrote:

I realize that you got into the school, but this is for comparing those who got into the law school.
I'm talking about law schools I got into?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MDguy

New

Post by MDguy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:02 pm

kwabedi wrote:

Yeah I know. I applied and got into law school, trying to do MD/JD

cranburial

New

Post by cranburial » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:52 pm

MDguy wrote:
kwabedi wrote:

With no LSAT? How?

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:54 pm

MDguy wrote:
kwabedi wrote:

Makes much more sense... my apologies. It is going to be tough for people to give you accurate advice. I have yet to see someone even remotely close to your situation. especially without an LSAT score

Shib26

Bronze

Post by Shib26 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:24 pm

kwabedi wrote:
MDguy wrote:
kwabedi wrote:

Makes much more sense... my apologies. It is going to be tough for people to give you accurate advice. I have yet to see someone even remotely close to your situation. especially without an LSAT score
Yeah I don't even know how to evaluate that. I might have said yes you outperformed, but the fact that you went 3 for 3 at HYS and 7 other t14s indicates that there's something beyond the typical formula.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MDguy

New

Post by MDguy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:05 pm

cranburial wrote:With no LSAT? How?
Apparently, the predictive nature of the MCAT is accurate enough for law schools to waive the LSAT for med students applying out. Same for GRE/GMAT for Master's/MBA. YLS specifically said they used to require it until everyone above a certain MCAT always broke 170 so they stopped wasting the time.
kwabedi wrote:Makes much more sense... my apologies. It is going to be tough for people to give you accurate advice. I have yet to see someone even remotely close to your situation. especially without an LSAT score
Shib26 wrote:Yeah I don't even know how to evaluate that. I might have said yes you outperformed, but the fact that you went 3 for 3 at HYS and 7 other t14s indicates that there's something beyond the typical formula.
Damn, okay thanks guys. But what if for the sake of argument I had a 171, a 97th LSAT? Since my MCAT was 97th. So 3.7/171 with amazing softs (if I count my top MD as a soft lol?). What's the current scholly market rate to expect/ask for?

Hornet2011

Bronze

Post by Hornet2011 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:35 pm

Depends on the school but HYS does not do merit scholarships

FredTheFish

New

Post by FredTheFish » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:48 pm

MDguy wrote:
cranburial wrote:With no LSAT? How?
Apparently, the predictive nature of the MCAT is accurate enough for law schools to waive the LSAT for med students applying out. Same for GRE/GMAT for Master's/MBA. YLS specifically said they used to require it until everyone above a certain MCAT always broke 170 so they stopped wasting the time.
kwabedi wrote:Makes much more sense... my apologies. It is going to be tough for people to give you accurate advice. I have yet to see someone even remotely close to your situation. especially without an LSAT score
Shib26 wrote:Yeah I don't even know how to evaluate that. I might have said yes you outperformed, but the fact that you went 3 for 3 at HYS and 7 other t14s indicates that there's something beyond the typical formula.
Damn, okay thanks guys. But what if for the sake of argument I had a 171, a 97th LSAT? Since my MCAT was 97th. So 3.7/171 with amazing softs (if I count my top MD as a soft lol?). What's the current scholly market rate to expect/ask for?
Going off that scenario, then you very much outperformed your numbers. Check out mylsn.com for more details. Also, as someone who did pre-med as an undergrad, and was intrigued about doing MD/JD, what made you decide to do both and are you worried it is going to be an insane amount of work?

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:05 am

MDguy wrote:
kwabedi wrote:

Would like to see the language you received waiving your lsat. From duke: "all jd applicants must have an lsat score. All md applicants must have an mcat"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MDguy

New

Post by MDguy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:14 am

Hornet2011 wrote:Depends on the school but HYS does not do merit scholarships
Yeah I know that. Which is why I'm only asking about merit. I'm dirt poor, gonna get that sweet FA
FredTheFish wrote:Going off that scenario, then you very much outperformed your numbers. Check out mylsn.com for more details. Also, as someone who did pre-med as an undergrad, and was intrigued about doing MD/JD, what made you decide to do both and are you worried it is going to be an insane amount of work?
I'm not sure yet. Just trying to get as much info as possible. See my other thread...I'm most likely going to go MPP instead but since I have the options I'm gonna explore it
lymenheimer wrote:Would like to see the language you received waiving your lsat. From duke: "all jd applicants must have an lsat score. All md applicants must have an mcat"
Hence I did not apply to Duke JD; I only did Sanford's MPP. Same goes for the rest of the T14; they would not waive it or I would've blanketed all of them because I didn't think I stood a chance at half of them. HYS + B was no questions asked, MVPN required petitioning through my med school but it went through.

KiltedKicker

Bronze

Post by KiltedKicker » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:41 am

Last edited by KiltedKicker on Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alive97

Bronze

Post by Alive97 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:47 pm

If I get in off the priority waitlist it will be with <25/just above 25 (lower t14). I will be sure to promptly inform this thread.

mimimimi

New

Post by mimimimi » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:01 am

So far this post is disheartening!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”