Should I even try to find a job/intern for my GAP year or... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
smilesmilesmile

New

Should I even try to find a job/intern for my GAP year or...

Post by smilesmilesmile » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:14 pm

Hi everyone,
I've done tons of research on this topic and I know there's different voices on TLS. But my situation is a little different. So I'm an international student studying at an American college, and it is very hard to find a job that would pay me and let me work (even harder to get a sponsorship) in the U.S. So here is the question, does it even worth spending tons of time applying for jobs/interns for my gap year instead of studying for LSAT? I've also dreamed about backpacking around different countries, mostly in Asia, Africa and South America. So I'm thinking to spare half a year doing that since I probably won't have any other time to do that after I start law school.
I'm planning to take my lsat in June and October if June didn't go well. I'm aiming at 172+ and will postpone my application cycle if I can't get into any T14. I'm grateful to have my parents paying my tuition and COL so I'm just trying to get into the best school I can.
Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

ltbenn

Bronze

Re: Should I even try to find a job/intern for my GAP year or...

Post by ltbenn » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:23 pm

If money's not an issue, I would suggest you split your time LSAT-prepping and doing volunteer work - could be a good way of keeping busy / adding something to the resume, and particularly for those who come from the kind of background that allows for parents to fund american is degrees from overseas, it could help off-set the sheltered/privileged vibe.
Alternatively - is going back to your home country and working in a semi-legal capacity an option? Interning in a governmental position or a local firm could be a great experience and a twist on the standard american prototype (and make local connections for future jobs/transnational deals if you work in the states).

Just some thoughts... Good luck!

Alive97

Bronze

Post by Alive97 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:45 pm

I don't think you need to worry about having a privileged/sheltered vibe.

smilesmilesmile

New

Post by smilesmilesmile » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:58 pm

ltbenn wrote:If money's not an issue, I would suggest you split your time LSAT-prepping and doing volunteer work - could be a good way of keeping busy / adding something to the resume, and particularly for those who come from the kind of background that allows for parents to fund american is degrees from overseas, it could help off-set the sheltered/privileged vibe.
Alternatively - is going back to your home country and working in a semi-legal capacity an option? Interning in a governmental position or a local firm could be a great experience and a twist on the standard american prototype (and make local connections for future jobs/transnational deals if you work in the states).

Just some thoughts... Good luck!
Thanks a lot for your input!
My family doesn't have much connection in the legal fields, but I can ask my parents/friends to ask around. So from your reply, it sounds like working at an legal institution/government will be an advantage for me instead of a generic intern in the U.S.? And what do you mean the American prototype?
So if I'm interning in the U.S., I'm thinking about some non-profit (maybe religious) organizations, or student development/intern works for higher education. And if I'm traveling, I'm thinking to spend minimal money, and volunteer for local organizations along the way.

passedge

New

Post by passedge » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:29 am

If you can make your story interesting enough to admissions, don't worry about the money if you don't need it!

smilesmilesmile

New

Post by smilesmilesmile » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:26 pm

Thanks everyone! I'll probably just get an interesting internship at home and spend time traveling and volunteering while studying for the LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”