Admission Index Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Nolachicken

Bronze

Admission Index

Post by Nolachicken » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:46 pm

Could someone explain to me what the admissions index is and how it is used? I have the list of the different law schools numbers, but are they used? Is there a corresponding list of scores that law schools use to admit or deny? Thank you!

SPerez

Bronze

Re: Admission Index

Post by SPerez » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:56 pm

I don't think anyone here could really answer that in any definitive way. I believe every law school HAS an index (calculated by LSAC), but every school uses it (or doesn't) in different ways. Some ignore it. Others do use it to set auto-admit/auto-ding boundaries. Some just use it for statistical purposes. One would have to ask each individual school how they use theirs, specifically.

I just use it for generic "statistical" purposes, i.e. sorting my spreadsheet by quality in the generic sense. It's handy for that since the formula includes both GPA and LSAT. Our formula (and most schools, I believe) is supposed to produce a number that tries to predict the applicant's probable first-year GPA. Obviously, that's more or less predictive depending on the school. I don't use it that way, like I said. A lot of schools also tweak the LSAC suggested formula to produce a number that is used for a different purpose so of course, then the number doesn't really mean anything in and of itself.

Dean Perez
Texas Tech Law

Nolachicken

Bronze

Re: Admission Index

Post by Nolachicken » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:03 pm

Thank you Dean Perez for the explanation!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”