Can June LSAT help me get off the Waitlist? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Can June LSAT help me get off the Waitlist?

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:41 pm

I'm on Boston College's waitlist. This is my first choice school because it has a similar biglaw placement as those in the top 20 and I like Boston in general. With my current numbers (160 LSAT, 3.5 GPA), BC was my sole beacon of hope that would give me a reasonable chance of landing a biglaw job (~25% of its grads get into big law).

I will be retaking LSAT in June. Let's say that I get a score above their median ( >162). Would this help at all in getting my name off the WL into the Admit pile? How likely does a WL candidate get admission? Should I just consider WL as a rejection?

deant286

Bronze

Re: Can June LSAT help me get off the Waitlist?

Post by deant286 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:33 pm

Yes, if you increase your score above their median that would improve your chances of coming off the wait list.

Some people get accepted off of WL just as classes are starting up, so it's definitely still a possibility that you will be accepted sometime in the next half year or so.

SullivanLSAC

New

Post by SullivanLSAC » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:17 pm

Definitely take it again, and if it is higher than 160, and especially if it is higher than BC’s median (which I’ve seen reported recently as high as 164), then it will definitely help you. I always advise waitlisted applicants to engage through the spring and summer in a campaign to “keep their file out of the cobwebs.” By that I mean keep the admissions director informed of your continuing interest in the school and of all the significant events that occur during this period that would have enhanced, and so now might enhance, your application. The most obvious is the 4.0 you get your final semester, but an even better one is a higher LSAT score. I always at least broach the topic of taking it again. Even if it’s a small increase, it gives you an excuse to contact the admissions director, and it shows you are a fighter.

By the way, deant286’s advice is excellent. Never give up trying to get off the waitlist. Unlike college waitlists, law school waitlists are not death row, and large percentages of each law school class each year got in off its waitlist. Also, good things can happen insanely late in the process. I know one guy who attended the first week’s classes at his second-choice school before finding out he had been admitted off the waitlist at his top choice!

One more thing. Since you have the time, I recommend you get a copy of The PowerScore LSAT Logic Games Bible. Work through it, but also get in the habit of doing one or two random games each day, the way people do crossword puzzles daily. It will pay off in June.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Dan Sullivan

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:09 pm

Thanks for the responses.

So what usually happens after June LSAT? Does LSAC automatically transmit the new score to law schools? Or do I have to notify each school of the new score through LOCI or phone call?

SullivanLSAC

New

Post by SullivanLSAC » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:13 am

Both. Using a LOCI is half the point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”