Impact on Admission: Loss of Employment Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
goldoldman

New

Impact on Admission: Loss of Employment

Post by goldoldman » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:47 am

Hey guys, I am an engineer by qualification and for the last couple months, I have not been working. The company I worked for ran out of work, and was trying to force a lot of the employees into taking temp positions elsewhere as technicians, so a lot of us quit to save our resumes. What if I do not find a job for another 6 months? How does it impact my admission prospects? I have been working as an engineer for more than 12 years and I do not have any other gaps in my resume.

I would appreciate your input.
Last edited by goldoldman on Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Impact on Admission: Loss of Employment

Post by Rigo » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:46 pm

Won't really matter. The 12 years will be a plus, if anything.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:28 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

goldoldman

New

Post by goldoldman » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:47 pm

Rigo wrote:Won't really matter. The 12 years will be a plus, if anything.
Thanks.

Dishydiana

New

Post by Dishydiana » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
1) Go find a job

2) Don't go to law school.
Plenty of IP lawyers have significant backgrounds in the hard sciences...and there's a shortage of IP lawyers...and they can make lots and lots of money...and some people genuinely enjoy IP work (perhaps as an in-house as a patent author, or as a litigator on behalf of behemoth companies...or even on the other side of the fence in Big Fed)

I'm assuming OP is interested in IP law, based off of their stated background. Kind of curious what they're interested in, if not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iamapipersson

New

Post by iamapipersson » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
goldoldman wrote:Hey guys, I am an engineer by qualification and for the last couple months, I have not been working. The company I worked for ran out of work, and was trying to force a lot of the employees into taking temp positions elsewhere as technicians, so a lot of us quit to save our resumes. What if I do not find a job for another 6 months? How does it impact my admission prospects? I have been working as an engineer for more than 12 years and I do not have any other gaps in my resume.

1) Go find a job

Hilarious when he does better on lsat than you, fox.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:13 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
iamapipersson wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
goldoldman wrote:Hey guys, I am an engineer by qualification and for the last couple months, I have not been working. The company I worked for ran out of work, and was trying to force a lot of the employees into taking temp positions elsewhere as technicians, so a lot of us quit to save our resumes. What if I do not find a job for another 6 months? How does it impact my admission prospects? I have been working as an engineer for more than 12 years and I do not have any other gaps in my resume.

1) Go find a job

Well, he'd have to do better than 176.

But I'm not saying he's stupid or can't get a biglaw job. I'm sure he could. It's just not worth it.
If TLS has hit the point where we're advising people that 12 years of engineering experience and a 176 isn't enough to go to law school, maybe we should take the retake out of "retake or don't go."

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:41 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:If TLS has hit the point where we're advising people that 12 years of engineering experience and a 176 isn't enough to go to law school, maybe we should take the retake out of "retake or don't go."
OP hasn't taken the LSAT yet and has an international GPA, which tend to under-perform in admissions IIRC. I think DF is saying that the better value move for OP is to just continue being an engineer with a decade of experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:55 pm

North wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:If TLS has hit the point where we're advising people that 12 years of engineering experience and a 176 isn't enough to go to law school, maybe we should take the retake out of "retake or don't go."
OP hasn't taken the LSAT yet and has an international GPA, which tend to under-perform in admissions IIRC. I think DF is saying that the better value move for OP is to just continue being an engineer with a decade of experience.
I kinda got that. I just made the quip because apparently maxing out the LSAT at this point still doesn't make law school a no-brainer.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:58 pm

I think DF's also referring to the brutal hours relative to the pay, uncertain career life given how people start getting pushed out after only a couple years, and just the general uncertainty as to whether any of us will still have jobs year to year anymore given the uncertain legal economy?

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:31 am

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:39 am

TLS made me turn interest, ideal, etc. into a financial spreadsheet, which is a solid perspective, but sometimes people seem to overdo it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

goldoldman

New

Post by goldoldman » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:39 am

Dishydiana wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
1) Go find a job

Plenty of IP lawyers have significant backgrounds in the hard sciences...and there's a shortage of IP lawyers...and they can make lots and lots of money...and some people genuinely enjoy IP work (perhaps as an in-house as a patent author, or as a litigator on behalf of behemoth companies...or even on the other side of the fence in Big Fed)

I'm assuming OP is interested in IP law, based off of their stated background. Kind of curious what they're interested in, if not.
I have been advised not to think too much about the eventual specialty as apparently a year or so in law school is usually instructive in making that decision. I have not done much coding, if any, during the last decade, and that might be an impediment in becoming an expert at IP law.

I am more interested in M&A in NYC or LA.

My background is in environmental engineering. I hope the worst case scenario would be that I join the EPA as an environmental lawyer.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by goldoldman on Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldoldman

New

Post by goldoldman » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:54 am

Desert Fox wrote:The math doesn't work out. The dood is probably 35.

We are talking about 200k in debt and interest. Another 200k in opportunity cost.

It'll take me basically 4 years to just get back to ZERO net worth. Another 1-2 to be debt free. I may never to where I'd be if I just was an engineer from the get go.

And that's not even considering the fact that I work 50% more than I would have.
Last edited by goldoldman on Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldoldman

New

Post by goldoldman » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:58 am

Last edited by goldoldman on Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:53 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

seashell.economy

Bronze

Post by seashell.economy » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:57 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
iamapipersson wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

1) Go find a job

Well, he'd have to do better than 176.

But I'm not saying he's stupid or can't get a biglaw job. I'm sure he could. It's just not worth it.
If TLS has hit the point where we're advising people that 12 years of engineering experience and a 176 isn't enough to go to law school, maybe we should take the retake out of "retake or don't go."
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”