Degree equivalence Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
habitant49

New

Degree equivalence

Post by habitant49 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi everybody,

I actually own 120 european credits from a first degree in law. I want to apply for us law schools but i am wondering: is it sufficient enough ?
At the end of the year i will own sixty more credits for a total of 180 but most deadlines are by february so i will not own them by the time i could apply. Is it a problem ? What do you think about it ?

Hand

Gold

Re: Degree equivalence

Post by Hand » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:46 pm

habitant49 wrote:Hi everybody,

I actually own 120 european credits from a first degree in law. I want to apply for us law schools but i am wondering: is it sufficient enough ?
At the end of the year i will own sixty more credits for a total of 180 but most deadlines are by february so i will not own them by the time i could apply. Is it a problem ? What do you think about it ?
You can apply before you graduate; lots of students at US institutions do so.

Note that 120 ECTS represents the equivalent of two years of full-time study at a US college or university. 180 ECTS, which is normally required for a European bachelor's degree, represents three years of full-time study. A US bachelor's degree requires 120 semester units, which represents four years of full-time study. I'm actually not sure that you can gain admission to a law school in the US solely on the basis of a 3-year European BA, without first completing a one-year master's degree there--I didn't try, so I honestly don't know.

habitant49

New

Re: Degree equivalence

Post by habitant49 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:00 pm

Yeah that seems about right... i sent my transcript of records to the LSAC maybe they'll tell me if i am able or not to get into law school with only a three year degree but i really hope. Actually in France it's very poorly looked to stop after only one year of master in law so...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”