Florida Coastal vs. Arizona Summit vs. Regent Law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
joeycxxxx09

Bronze

Florida Coastal vs. Arizona Summit vs. Regent Law

Post by joeycxxxx09 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:59 pm

Jk.
How and why do these schools exist and why in the f*** does anyone go to them? Does anyone go to them??? This makes the legal profession look horrible. No way anyone gets jobs coming out of these shit holes. I've gotten probably 10 emails from FL in the past 10 days that I won't have to pay tuition...they sound so desperate

Tiny123

New

Re: Florida Coastal vs. Arizona Summit vs. Regent Law

Post by Tiny123 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:32 pm

joeycxxxx09 wrote:Jk.
How and why do these schools exist and why in the f*** does anyone go to them? Does anyone go to them??? This makes the legal profession look horrible. No way anyone gets jobs coming out of these shit holes. I've gotten probably 10 emails from FL in the past 10 days that I won't have to pay tuition...they sound so desperate
People who want to practice in FL and they has enough connections for a job later on? In this case is great they don't have to pay. Because law school education for some people is just a prerequisite for the bar.

Troianii

Silver

Post by Troianii » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:30 pm

joeycxxxx09 wrote:Jk.

Florida Coastal? Idk, there are a lot of lower end schools in the area better than this one. Arizona summit? No idea why anyone ever goes here. Regent? Yeah, I can at least see why some people go there.

It's not a great school, but it's a school that at least to some extent seems to be about more than the $ (not saying they aren't making money off of unfortunate souls, just saying they're not as bad as other 2). They seem to be pretty serious about their religious affiliation. They also seem to be something of a GOP pipeline haha - I heard someone say that disparagingly and so checked it out haha. And, for what they are, their employment figures aren't that bad. They're not gold mind you, I'm just saying that I've seen ranked schools (that is, top 100) or nearly ranked schools with worse employment figures. Oh, and apparently Regent has made a real effort to recruit top notch professors - I think it was Princeton Review that said Regent had one of the top 10 groups of professors. It's a new school, and this to me is an indication that the school is serious about becoming a good law school, and they aren't just in it to make money off a few unfortunates a la Arizona summit style.

Regent isn't great, but if you're making a 3 bottom rung group or something like that, it doesn't belong there. Again, just for clarity, I'm not saying it's good - it definitely shouldn't be in the top 100 - but there are plenty worse.

Troianii

Silver

Post by Troianii » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:32 pm

Tl;dr - Regent has a very specific profile that will match and draw certain students. Selling points: very Christian, good location, good professors (based on Princeton review), very conservative - it's been disparagingly called a GOP pipeline, but I think that might draw in students.

PrayFor170

Bronze

Post by PrayFor170 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:17 pm

Florida costal told me they could give me a MacBook for free if I attend. lol at this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Troianii

Silver

Post by Troianii » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:02 am

PrayFor170 wrote:Florida costal told me they could give me a MacBook for free if I attend. lol at this.
Got same offer. Had same response.

Tiny123

New

Post by Tiny123 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:21 pm

Troianii wrote:
PrayFor170 wrote:Florida costal told me they could give me a MacBook for free if I attend. lol at this.

I actually looked into the school because I really want to practice in Florida. Seems like a bad idea now lol

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:28 pm

Troianii wrote:
Kind of comical that the case calls these students sophisticated consumers when they're making 200k decisions on the basis of an $800 computer.

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:31 pm

I have to admit it feels kinda good to have a couple of "attend us!" emails in the inbox every morning when I wake up. TTT as they are, they do boost ego especially at first :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Troianii

Silver

Post by Troianii » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:23 pm

ihenry wrote:I have to admit it feels kinda good to have a couple of "attend us!" emails in the inbox every morning when I wake up. TTT as they are, they do boost ego especially at first :D
Yup. And honestly, worst case scenario, some are decent IF YOU want to work in the area. But there is zero national appeal to them, so you're basically getting jobs based on networking + alumni.

Biglaw1990

Bronze

Post by Biglaw1990 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:40 pm

Last edited by Biglaw1990 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leagles5161

Bronze

Post by Leagles5161 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:13 pm

Biglaw1990 wrote:I am getting tons of emails from Florida Coastal as well.
Question: What if we (high scorers) call the dean and say that we are considering attending, but we would like to visit. Do you think the school would refund a trip to visit the school (aka vacation to Jacksonville) if we asked? If they are willing to give us a full scholarship and a laptop, wouldn't they oblige?
Hell itself is better than a free trip to Jacksonville.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:16 pm

hubris, guys. just because someone runs a scam school doesn't mean they're idiots. collecting sallie mae checks beats working for a living.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Leagles5161

Bronze

Post by Leagles5161 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:26 pm

pancakes3 wrote:hubris, guys. just because someone runs a scam school doesn't mean they're idiots. collecting sallie mae checks beats working for a living.

Idiots? no. Pieces of shit? Yes. Gotta love unbridled capitalism. Where taking full advantage of less than intelligent people is encouraged for the $$$.

But to get back to the OPs question: as long as unaware and dumb people are willing to cough up the dough, these schools will most likely stick around. Unless the ABA grows some balls and regulates law schools with standardized requirements and yearly evaluations (maybe even placing a school on probation), then yeah they'll be here for awhile IMO.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:48 pm

Question: What if we (high scorers) call the dean and say that we are considering attending, but we would like to visit. Do you think the school would refund a trip to visit the school (aka vacation to Jacksonville) if we asked? If they are willing to give us a full scholarship and a laptop, wouldn't they oblige?
One of these types of schools asked me why I was taking the LSAT a second times as I was already about 20 points over their median and when I told them I felt I could do better, I was waitlisted the next day, then rejected after I emailed asking to be taken off. You are just going to get taken off. Schools like this aren't looking 10 years down the line.

PrayFor170

Bronze

Post by PrayFor170 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:16 am

That'd be really great. They'll pay for the flight tickets and I can rent a car and drive to Orlando to enjoy my time in Disneyland and Universal Studio :)

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:43 am

PrayFor170 wrote:
That'd be really great. They'll pay for the flight tickets and I can rent a car and drive to Orlando to enjoy my time in Disneyland and Universal Studio :)
Yes. Please kindly keep your receipt/flight iternary/proof of purchase. The full fee will be refunded to you immediately upon your enrolment.

Best Regards,

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”