PSA regarding academic advisors/academic probation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Billy Madison

Bronze

PSA regarding academic advisors/academic probation

Post by Billy Madison » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:08 am

So a while back I emailed my advisor regarding my stint in UG prior to serving in the military, after which I was returning to school. During this time, I was an idiot, lost my financial aid because I dropped/failed too many classes, and I thought I remembered being placed or nearly placed on academic probation. My advisor's response to me was a copy of my advising report and a message that stated that my GPA had never dropped below 2.0 and therefore I was never on probation. This week I've been filing out apps and upon review of my LSAC ASR, I discovered a note stating an "academic action" in 2009-2010. When I went back to my advising report, I found a code "S ACTN PP" next to Winter '10. As it turns out, I WAS briefly placed on academic probation for a few weeks while I petitioned to drop a class retroactively. Once the petition was approved, my GPA returned to 2.01 and I was removed from probation. I don't remember how or why this was possible and there's no question here, because I'm going to disclose exactly what happened. I just wanted to share this with TLS because I was going to answer "no" regarding any sort of academic probation, after being told specifically by my advisor that I'd never been on probation, and I suspect there would have been an issue when every school looked at my LSAC report and saw that "academic action" note. :shock:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”