I'm taking some time off before law school, besides numbers what is the best way to make my application stand out? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lillawyer2

Silver

I'm taking some time off before law school, besides numbers what is the best way to make my application stand out?

Post by lillawyer2 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:20 pm

I am working on fluency for multiple languages: Spanish, Russian, Chinese and maybe Hebrew. I'm hoping this will work in my favor for employment.

I currently work as a assistant to a CFO in Manhattan.

In the meantime, before I take my June 2016 LSAT, what can i do to look better on paper?

I was thinking about working in the legal field, as a second job or an internship, but I don't think it makes much of a difference and the hassle/stress isn't worth it.

Law1491

Bronze

Re: I'm taking some time off before law school, besides numbers what is the best way to make my application stand out?

Post by Law1491 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:50 pm

It looks like you already have a lot to stand out. You just need the numbers, legal job is not necessary at all. If you have some time, volunteering might be nice to show community service, but again it is not necessary at all.

pancakes3

Platinum

Re: I'm taking some time off before law school, besides numbers what is the best way to make my application stand out?

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:57 pm

Languages are good, substantive work experience is good, but really this helps once you get into LS and are interviewing for jobs. I don't know how much this is going to help the LS application itself.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:20 pm

Law1491 wrote:It looks like you already have a lot to stand out. You just need the numbers, legal job is not necessary at all. If you have some time, volunteering might be nice to show community service, but again it is not necessary at all.
Thank you, so basically there isn't much to stand out in the application itself...

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:21 pm

pancakes3 wrote:Languages are good, substantive work experience is good, but really this helps once you get into LS and are interviewing for jobs. I don't know how much this is going to help the LS application itself.
my substantive work experience is for the most part clerical/administrative...is that still okay?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Law1491

Bronze

Post by Law1491 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:11 pm

yes, administrative job is fine. What is your GPA? How are you scoring on LSAT? because this is all that matters: your LSAT and GPA.

WillieBeasley

New

Post by WillieBeasley » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:41 am

The more you'll work right now,sweeter the results will be.I suggest intern ship would really be nice option only if you get an intern ship certificate with it.Try to be an intern at a law firm with big credentials.This hard work would really pay off.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:47 am

WillieBeasley wrote:The more you'll work right now,sweeter the results will be.I suggest intern ship would really be nice option only if you get an intern ship certificate with it.Try to be an intern at a law firm with big credentials.This hard work would really pay off.
I like this guy already.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:04 am

Law1491 wrote:yes, administrative job is fine. What is your GPA? How are you scoring on LSAT? because this is all that matters: your LSAT and GPA.
3.75 gpa lsat have to retake. It was low. I aim for 170 to get into columbia.

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:44 am

consider transitioning to a different/non-gender

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”