Can using this site get me in trouble? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschoolismylife

New

Can using this site get me in trouble?

Post by lawschoolismylife » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:47 am

Hi,

I've been reading this site for a while and I want to try to make some friends but I'm worried that if schools that have already admitted me are able to match my account here to my real name that they might not give me as much scholarship money if they think I don't really want to go there.

Does this happen?

Sorry if I'm not in the right place to ask this question i just want to be careful

Thank you for your help

mt2165

Silver

Re: Can using this site get me in trouble?

Post by mt2165 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:02 pm

There is always some justified paranoia vis a vis getting outed, and I think you should mind what you say even though this is an anonymous forum. But I don't think adcomms monitor this website that diligently. Be cautious with personal information, and you should be fine.

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:22 pm

They'll give you more money if they think you don't really want to go there.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:28 pm

Adcomms do 110% monitor this site closely, just keep relatively anonymous and you'll be ok.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:33 pm

I'm also pretty sure they're not measuring their offers by your desire or lack thereof to attend a particular school expressed here, but by your application. The concern about being outed is if you act especially unprofessionally here. But schools know people weigh a lot of factors when ultimately deciding. Maybe if you said something like "I would NEVER in a MILLION YEARS go to school X, I only applied to have the satisfaction of turning those fuckers down," that would have some effect. But the fact that you applied generally means you're at least considering the school, even if it's not a tip top choice, and that's enough to be considered seriously.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:36 pm

Clearly wrote:Adcomms do 110% monitor this site closely, just keep relatively anonymous and you'll be ok.
+1. I had an unfortunate experience where Adcomms figured who I was based on my postings. I know this because I had a contact within the LS in question who informed me that my TLS postings led back to my LS application. Didn't change anything, got in with scholarship, but it was an awkward two-three weeks between outing and admissions decision. Didn't matter in the end anyway because I opted for a different school in the end anyway. I would recommend just keeping the personal details as little as possible. Adcomms love to read sites like TLS to get a sense what is going on with the people on the other side of the admissions process.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:41 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:
Clearly wrote:Adcomms do 110% monitor this site closely, just keep relatively anonymous and you'll be ok.
+1. I had an unfortunate experience where Adcomms figured who I was based on my postings. I know this because I had a contact within the LS in question who informed me that my TLS postings led back to my LS application. Didn't change anything, got in with scholarship, but it was an awkward two-three weeks between outing and admissions decision. Didn't matter in the end anyway because I opted for a different school in the end anyway. I would recommend just keeping the personal details as little as possible. Adcomms love to read sites like TLS to get a sense what is going on with the people on the other side of the admissions process.
That adcom needs to get a life

You hear that adcom? GET A LIFE

I do think it's kinda cute when they pretend like they're doing work and the admissions process is SUPER SERIOUS BUSINESS and not 99% GPA/LSAT

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:42 pm

A pretty well-known ex-moderator was outed and got in trouble on a couple occasions for comments he made about his law school. Just be smart and don't give out a lot of personal details.

Also, pretty sure being an adcomm is the only job in the world where an employer knowingly pays you to TLS.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:42 pm

Just don't use real name/stats/dates

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:44 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Just don't use real name/stats/dates
This.

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:51 pm

Actually, I would worry about my Facebook page much earlier than about my account on TLS..

chalky

Bronze

Post removed...

Post by chalky » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:18 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by chalky on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Judgeasaurus_Rex

Bronze

Post by Judgeasaurus_Rex » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:30 pm

ihenry wrote:Actually, I would worry about my Facebook page much earlier than about my account on TLS..
Is this really thing? I read in Anne Levine's book that adcomms don't look into applicants Facebook pages (despite applicants believing they do).

Should I temporarily delete my Facebook account during this application cycle??!?!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:01 pm

Just set your profile to private like a normal person

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:23 am

The more awkward thing is when everyone at your school knows who you are when you move in and you look like a dick online so that's their default impression

DavidConeSplitter

Silver

Post by DavidConeSplitter » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:24 am

As long as adcoms don't lurk in the lounge

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:34 am

If I were an adcomm, I'd definitely be a shitpoaster

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PrayFor170

Bronze

Post by PrayFor170 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:41 pm

How exactly did they match if I don't reveal my name, numbers, home address and undergrad institution?
By email address?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:44 pm

No, no one here can see your email address. Many people do post numbers, undergrad, PS drafts, and/or enough other identifying information (usually specific softs) that adcomms can figure out who they are, so if you don't post that stuff, you're fine. No one posting here has access to your email address.

Judgeasaurus_Rex

Bronze

Post by Judgeasaurus_Rex » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:43 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:No, no one here can see your email address. Many people do post numbers, undergrad, PS drafts, and/or enough other identifying information (usually specific softs) that adcomms can figure out who they are, so if you don't post that stuff, you're fine. No one posting here has access to your email address.
Do adcomms look back at previous posts in order to see LSAT scores, UG institution, etc to try and figure out who you are? Wondering if I should delete more of my older posts mentioning GPA and test scores.

Also, I really like your picture!

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:58 am

Judgeasaurus_Rex wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:No, no one here can see your email address. Many people do post numbers, undergrad, PS drafts, and/or enough other identifying information (usually specific softs) that adcomms can figure out who they are, so if you don't post that stuff, you're fine. No one posting here has access to your email address.
Do adcomms look back at previous posts in order to see LSAT scores, UG institution, etc to try and figure out who you are? Wondering if I should delete more of my older posts mentioning GPA and test scores.

Also, I really like your picture!
I'm inclined to believe that if you recently posted stuff that screams who you are (like, you are the only applicant from Tajikistan and you created multiple threads giving this information) and one or two admission officers happen to saw them, then yes, they are probably able to figure out who you are. But I don't think they will a) trace all posters for their identities and match with the application file or b) try to figure out TLS IDs for every apolicant barring the high chance that most don't have one. (See how algorithmically complex they are?) And they don't have much incentive too, because 99.99% posts say nothing about their potential in law school. In other words, a post here won't kill your chance anywhere.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:16 am

I don't know how often it happens, I just know that a number of posters here have reported having adcomms comment to them about their TLS posting/say they know who the poster was here. It's certainly easy enough to look at someone's post history. My impression is that adcomms are most likely to watch the threads devoted to their school, rather than wading through the bulk of this site.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:16 am

pancakes3 wrote:If I were an adcomm, I'd definitely be a shitpoaster
It's the perfect cover story!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”