Charlotte School of Law Scholarship

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
YinFireHare

New

Charlotte School of Law Scholarship

Postby YinFireHare » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:28 pm

I was wondering if anyone who received a full ride for the full-time and/or part-time program could provide details on how to keep the scholarship after the first year. What are the requirements - 3.0 GPA?

nlee10

Gold

Re: Charlotte School of Law Scholarship

Postby nlee10 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:36 pm

viewtopic.php?t=226760

This might be of help.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Postby Winter is Coming » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:48 pm

Charlotte School of law is owned by the cabal of investors behind Infilaw. It is a for-profit school designed to prey on students and simply a money-making scheme to funnel loan money from the government to Infilaw investors and it is quite possibly the worst law "school" in the country. Everyone involved in this should be rounded up and tossed into prison.

http://outsidethelawschoolscam.blogspot ... -prof.html
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... am/375069/
http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id=12 ... 0805154028

Please reevaluate your options, going to this place would be terrible decision and ruin your chances of becoming an attorney before you even begin.

YinFireHare

New

Postby YinFireHare » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:08 pm

Thank you. I am going to re-consider.

One of the reasons I was looking at Charlotte School of Law specifically was because my family lives in Charlotte. I wish UNC-Charlotte had its own law school.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:40 pm

NC has good law schools, go to one of them (Duke, UNC/Wake)

YinFireHare

New

Postby YinFireHare » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:25 pm

Yes... But they are not in Charlotte... I figured if I could get a free ride, and work full time (with the part time four year program) with my family in the same house as me, it would work great.

I'm not a single college student anymore and my significant other is established here so moving is going to be difficult.

John_Luther1989

Bronze

Postby John_Luther1989 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:41 pm

Going to a school that designed their scholarships to be lost is a bad idea. It's probably not a stretch to say that CSL section stacks and section stacking doesn't just cost gullible candidates their $$$, but it also indicates that the school itself doesn't actually care about if their students get jobs. You'd expect schools that did to give good students every opportunity to succeed and section stacking doesn't accomplish that.

Furthermore, along with not getting a job, you're going to have a degree from a school with a poisonous reputation in the legal world and which will come with a very low chance of passing the bar. Your family will survive without you for a stretch. If you aren't willing to tolerate that, don't go to law school. No matter what, do not send CSL a single dime.

YinFireHare

New

Postby YinFireHare » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:43 pm

Thank you... What is section stacking? Is it the same as ranking students into percentiles (class rank), and the top percentage of students keep their scholarships?

John_Luther1989

Bronze

Postby John_Luther1989 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:52 pm

No. Almost every school ranks their students and having a scholarship include a stipulation that you remain in good standing or in X-percentile isn't unusual. Section stacking is taking all the kids on scholarship and putting them in all the same classes while the non-scholarship peeps are in their own sets of classes (law schools divide incoming classes into 3+ subgroups "sections" that take most, sometimes all, of their classes together). In combination with grading on a curve, you ensure that some number of your scholarship students will lose that scholarship and have to start paying full price. It's basically honeydicking someone.

You lure them in by saying they have a full scholarship and they can only lose it if they're outside, for example, the top 25%. A book smart person says "hey, I'm smart, I did decently well in school. I can totally manage that!" Then you realize that a ton of people in your classes are on scholarship and the curve dictates most of you get grades that'll cause you to lose your scholarship.
Last edited by John_Luther1989 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:39 pm

YinFireHare wrote:Yes... But they are not in Charlotte... I figured if I could get a free ride, and work full time (with the part time four year program) with my family in the same house as me, it would work great.

I'm not a single college student anymore and my significant other is established here so moving is going to be difficult.

lol lots of people move across the country to go to law school even if they want to return to their home state. If you are too inflexible to move a couple hours away for law school it is probably not worth pursuing

YinFireHare

New

Postby YinFireHare » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:20 pm

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to my questions. After some consideration, I have decided to register for another LSAT and plan what to do after the scores are back.

hairbear7

Silver

Postby hairbear7 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:23 pm

YinFireHare wrote:I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to my questions. After some consideration, I have decided to register for another LSAT and plan what to do after the scores are back.

Great choice, good luck!

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Postby Winter is Coming » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:27 pm

hairbear7 wrote:
YinFireHare wrote:I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to my questions. After some consideration, I have decided to register for another LSAT and plan what to do after the scores are back.

Great choice, good luck!

Awesome, good luck.

YinFireHare

New

Postby YinFireHare » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:55 pm

Thank you!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:31 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
YinFireHare wrote:Yes... But they are not in Charlotte... I figured if I could get a free ride, and work full time (with the part time four year program) with my family in the same house as me, it would work great.

lol lots of people move across the country to go to law school even if they want to return to their home state. If you are too inflexible to move a couple hours away for law school it is probably not worth pursuing

Yeah, this. You have to accept that making law school work is going to require leaving Charlotte. If that absolutely can't happen, you should probably look at other career options.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�