Corporate Lawyer types

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MikeRoss2568

New

Corporate Lawyer types

Postby MikeRoss2568 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:00 pm

Hey again guys, another question.

Wasn't sure where to put this one, hopefully a moderator can move it if it is in the wrong spot.

As someone doing an undergraduate degree in Commerce (finance specifically), naturally I am attracted to corporate law. I understand that within corporate law, there are many specialties and I'm having troubles picking a specific one.

What type of corporate lawyer specialty (if any) would allow me opportunity to meet clients and has the potential to go to court? The one thing I am not fond of is sitting in a desk for the majority of my career, working on a few cases that never seem to progress, never meet clients, and never go to court. I am a very outspoken individual so I do like the notion of going to court to verbally fight it out with someone, and I do enjoy being on the move frequently to visit new companies, clients, etc. I don't mind working long hard hours: I'm prepared to dedicate my entire life to my job at a law firm.

For the record, I have a 4.0 GPA and a 174 LSAT and in my third year so I believe this is a good time to begin asking these types of questions.

Thanks!:)

Platinum

Re: Corporate Lawyer types

Postby 071816 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:03 pm

MikeRoss2568 wrote:Hey again guys, another question.

Wasn't sure where to put this one, hopefully a moderator can move it if it is in the wrong spot.

As someone doing an undergraduate degree in Commerce (finance specifically), naturally I am attracted to corporate law. I understand that within corporate law, there are many specialties and I'm having troubles picking a specific one.

What type of corporate lawyer specialty (if any) would allow me opportunity to meet clients and has the potential to go to court? The one thing I am not fond of is sitting in a desk for the majority of my career, working on a few cases that never seem to progress, never meet clients, and never go to court. I am a very outspoken individual so I do like the notion of going to court to verbally fight it out with someone, and I do enjoy being on the move frequently to visit new companies, clients, etc. I don't mind working long hard hours: I'm prepared to dedicate my entire life to my job at a law firm.

For the record, I have a 4.0 GPA and a 174 LSAT and in my third year so I believe this is a good time to begin asking these types of questions.

as far as going to court, none. look into commercial litigation or something. but even with that, 95%+ of cases settle and you'll rarely go to court (especially as a junior associate).

MikeRoss2568

New

Postby MikeRoss2568 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:09 pm

chimp wrote:

as far as going to court, none. look into commercial litigation or something. but even with that, 95%+ of cases settle and you'll rarely go to court (especially as a junior associate).

Interesting.

From my limited research thus far, an M&A lawyer sticks out the most. I'm still doing research on that career type, but if you or anyone else knows about it, I'd be interested in hearing your insights!

Platinum

Postby 071816 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:17 pm

MikeRoss2568 wrote:
chimp wrote:

Interesting.

From my limited research thus far, an M&A lawyer sticks out the most. I'm still doing research on that career type, but if you or anyone else knows about it, I'd be interested in hearing your insights!

just go on law firm websites and read the description of their mergers and acquisitions practice. or google what m&a and other transactional attorneys do. their job is generally to keep clients out of court. transactional attorneys don't go to court (unless they do litigation AND transactional work for some reason, which pretty much never happens).

Cogburn87

Bronze

Postby Cogburn87 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:40 pm

MikeRoss2568 wrote:The one thing I am not fond of is sitting in a desk for the majority of my career

I would recommend picking a different profession.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Postby UnicornHunter » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:42 pm

Even the lead attorney in a trial just mostly sits, but instead of a desk it's a table.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�