What causes someone with high numbers to be rejected? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MikeRoss2568

New

What causes someone with high numbers to be rejected?

Post by MikeRoss2568 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:48 pm

So I've been looking at the websites that let you see what GPAs/LSATs tend to be accepted at law schools, and I'm confused. I understand schools like Harvard and Columbia are number orientated, so what could possibly cause someone with a GPA in the 4.0-4.2 and a 173+ LSAT range to get rejected? It seems both these schools reject people in that range every year...
I know this isn't unheard of at schools like Yale and Stanford which tend to be black boxes, but for schools which practically have come out and said they place a huge emphasis on numbers, why would they reject such seemingly stellar applicants based on numbers? Is it safe to assume these people probably just had absolutely 0 softs and completely bombed any essays they had to write? I just find that hard to believe that students in probably the 95 percentile of applicants in terms of GPA and LSAT would make such errors.

nerd1

Bronze

Re: What causes someone with high numbers to be rejected?

Post by nerd1 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:51 pm

You are probably mistaken about Columbia. Columbia selects almost purely based on numbers.

Harvard, on the other hand, weeds out aspies and weirdos through its interviews. From my experience, I can say that Stanford is not so black box. If you have stellar numbers (GPA especially) and strong softs, you will get in or at least be waitlisted.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:10 pm

People may have C&F issues.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:38 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:10 pm

I'll add in that Columbia will YP a bit, especially for people with high GPA. I think their general logic is that they cannot really make use of a 3.95+, while someone like Chicago can so they are willing to 'pay more' for that, thus Columbia might not risk competing without a clear reason.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nerd1

Bronze

Post by nerd1 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:24 pm

Auxilio wrote:I'll add in that Columbia will YP a bit, especially for people with high GPA. I think their general logic is that they cannot really make use of a 3.95+, while someone like Chicago can so they are willing to 'pay more' for that, thus Columbia might not risk competing without a clear reason.
No, Columbia, Chicago and NYU are always willing to offer scholarships to those with very high numbers. Only schools below CCN yield-protect.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:30 pm

nerd1 wrote:
Auxilio wrote:I'll add in that Columbia will YP a bit, especially for people with high GPA. I think their general logic is that they cannot really make use of a 3.95+, while someone like Chicago can so they are willing to 'pay more' for that, thus Columbia might not risk competing without a clear reason.
No, Columbia, Chicago and NYU are always willing to offer scholarships to those with very high numbers. Only schools below CCN yield-protect.

Just look the previous cycle's threads for Columbia. There were a lot of people above median who were either waitlisted, or admitted right at the end of the cylce and offered very little in money. Even NYU had their #DLSNever thing.

Fiddlesticks

New

Post by Fiddlesticks » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:34 pm

Last edited by Fiddlesticks on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nerd1

Bronze

Post by nerd1 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:35 pm

Auxilio wrote:
nerd1 wrote:

Just look the previous cycle's threads for Columbia. There were a lot of people above median who were either waitlisted, or admitted right at the end of the cylce and offered very little in money. Even NYU had their #DLSNever thing.
Don't know much about NYU. But for Columbia, if you are above their 75th percentiles for both GPA and LSAT, and you are not a KJD, then you get either a Butler or Hamilton offer. I think Columbia may waitlist those who they do not want to give out Butler or Hamiltons to. (like GPA and LSAT between median and 75th percentile.) And Columbia also interviews some applicants.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nerd1

Bronze

Post by nerd1 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:40 pm

Fiddlesticks wrote:Other than some points mentioned already, (being socially weird, C&F, YP)
People who have high numbers sometimes lack in the humility department, and come off as a dweeby entitled bitch (science term) in their Personal statements and interviews.
Exactly. For some people, you don't need to interview them to know that they are arrogant, "entitled bitches". Their personalities come off on their personal statements.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:41 pm

nerd1 wrote:
Auxilio wrote:
nerd1 wrote:

Don't know much about NYU. But for Columbia, if you are above their 75th percentiles for both GPA and LSAT, and you are not a KJD, then you get either a Butler or Hamilton offer. I think Columbia may waitlist those who they do not want to give out Butler or Hamiltons to. (like GPA and LSAT between median and 75th percentile.) And Columbia also interviews some applicants.

Yeah that is exactly the situation I think Columbia YPs at. 172-3 and a high GPA (3.85+). I agree if you hit 174 you will get an offer.

nerd1

Bronze

Post by nerd1 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:47 pm

Auxilio wrote:
nerd1 wrote:
Auxilio wrote:
nerd1 wrote:

Yeah that is exactly the situation I think Columbia YPs at. 172-3 and a high GPA (3.85+). I agree if you hit 174 you will get an offer.
Yeah. That's also what Chicago does. Schools in the same tier think alike.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:06 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:17 pm

There are a couple of yellow dots in the very upper right of the graph on LSN for Columbia. Might have just come off as totally obvious they wouldn't attend. But as MG said you're looking at 90%+ to get in so it's not something to be especially worried about.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:43 pm

Just lol at Harvard, or any law school, filtering out aspies and entitled dweebs.

But yes try not to come off as a racist, bigoted asshole.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”