Duke Early Decision Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Scalvert

Silver

Duke Early Decision

Post by Scalvert » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:29 pm

Maybe this is a dumb question, but has anyone done this?

I just received an app fee waiver and an invitation to apply ED. I would love to attend Duke, but I don't see them giving me any $. LSN graphs show everyone with similar numbers to mine got waitlisted. I'm confused as to why they would ask me to consider ED if they were likely to waitlist me.

If you apply ED, they get back to you within 10 days. If I were accepted, would the scholarship offer be included with the acceptance? How does it work exactly? At what point does the "binding" part kick in? I couldn't find any specifics on their website.

fredfred

Bronze

Re: Duke Early Decision

Post by fredfred » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:42 pm

Scalvert wrote:Maybe this is a dumb question, but has anyone done this?

I just received an app fee waiver and an invitation to apply ED. I would love to attend Duke, but I don't see them giving me any $. LSN graphs show everyone with similar numbers to mine got waitlisted. I'm confused as to why they would ask me to consider ED if they were likely to waitlist me.

If you apply ED, they get back to you within 10 days. If I were accepted, would the scholarship offer be included with the acceptance? How does it work exactly? At what point does the "binding" part kick in? I couldn't find any specifics on their website.
You wont get scholarship with ED. It is why they want you to apply as a marginal candidate. If you get in ED, then they don't offer you money. There are only a few schools that give scholarships with ED. Northwestern, GW, apparently BU (correct me if I am wrong).

Ironically I applied ED to Duke. Got rejected. Retook the lsat for a third time, crushed it, and now attending Duke with a very large scholarship. It ended up working out even better for me. Like 100k better not getting in the first time ED.

Scalvert

Silver

Post by Scalvert » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:53 pm

Thanks!

I keep forgetting about that the thin line dividing "who wants me" from "who wants my money." Looks like I need to crush my third take as well, and congrats on the scholly!

urbanist11

Silver

Post removed.

Post by urbanist11 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:59 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by urbanist11 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:01 pm

urbanist11 wrote:You are referring to priority track which is non-binding

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Scalvert

Silver

Post by Scalvert » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:28 pm

So Priority Track is basically ED minus the "binding" part? I'm guessing if your numbers are above median, they send you that option?

urbanist11

Silver

Post removed.

Post by urbanist11 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:48 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by urbanist11 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BiglawAssociate

Bronze

Post by BiglawAssociate » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:34 pm

ED is the 300k worst decision you could ever make in your life. Don't be a stupid poor.

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:39 pm

Seriously, don't ED somewhere unless A) you have a VERY good reason to go there, B) you will get a substantial amount of $$$ doing so (think NU), and/or C) know there is literally nowhere else that you would rather be than there.

Edit: It is always better to have options and pick the best one for yourself after careful consideration of all significant factors (e.g. COA, COL, job prospects, etc.).

Scalvert

Silver

Post by Scalvert » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:05 am

Since I have a waiver, I'll go ahead and send the app and get waitlisted (and ignore ED). I hadn't even considered applying to Duke because my numbers aren't quite there, so I just went momentarily insane after getting the email.

Now I'm gonna go wistfully observe the joy of the 2019 Duke Thread PTers like some pitiful Dickensian street urchin.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”