CLASS OF 2018 MEDIANS! (LSAT/GPA/Class Size) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: CLASS OF 2018 MEDIANS! (LSAT/GPA/Class Size)

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:53 pm

I for one appreciate Cooley's efforts to give individuals from underrepresented communities a chance to move up the economic ladder and fight for social justice.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:55 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I for one appreciate Cooley's efforts to give individuals from underrepresented communities a chance to move up the economic ladder and fight for social justice.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:43 pm

JCougar wrote:
Rigo wrote:The long awaited...
~*~Cooley~*~
138(-3)-141(-4)-147(-2)
2.51(-.02)-2.85(-.05)-3.19(-.09)

Class size: 448 (+3)
Holy fuck.

There's no way that dumpster fire of a school survives this. A 141 median? That's like 17th percentile. And a good proportion of those that actually manage to get good grades there will transfer out after 1L.

It's hard to imagine how anyone from that school is going to pass the bar.
I think this is the lowest median we've ever recorded, with the exception of the Puerto Rico ones (which don't really count).

I predict Cooley is still thriving in five years. Has the ABA ever actually taken action on anything besides outright fraud?

duras92

New

Post by duras92 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:02 pm

Why does Cooley exist?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:24 pm

duras92 wrote:Why does Cooley exist?
For the same reason that any business exists.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

duras92

New

Post by duras92 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:32 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Then cooley law school is a business and the clients are (debatably) law students?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:27 pm

duras92 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Then Cooley law school is a business and the clients are (debatably) law students?
I don't know if "clients" is the word I would use. But the customers are law students. I don't think that's really debatable.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:53 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote: I predict Cooley is still thriving in five years. Has the ABA ever actually taken action on anything besides outright fraud?
Hard to argue that schools like Cooley, Thomas Jefferson, and the Infilaw trio aren't already committing outright fraud. TJ is ready to collapse; the students entering this year are unlikely to complete three years there. I mean, they get to discharge their loans if it collapses before they graduate, but Uncle Sam will pick up the tab.

This is the same country that has close to 0 funding for entry-level lawyers in FedGov.

We're paying off law profs at scam schools while cutting Honors programs for new attorneys. Pretty much an embezzlement/RICO scam in the broad light of day that nobody will do anything to stop.

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:00 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:I for one appreciate Cooley's efforts to give individuals from underrepresented communities a chance to move up the economic ladder and fight for social justice.
I couldn't agree with this more if they charge a quarter of the tuition they are charging now.

They do give a chance to those who are only short of a JD degree before they can do something big though. But they are probably not socioeconomically disadvantaged minority, but the reverse.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:18 pm

JCougar wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote: I predict Cooley is still thriving in five years. Has the ABA ever actually taken action on anything besides outright fraud?
Hard to argue that schools like Cooley, Thomas Jefferson, and the Infilaw trio aren't already committing outright fraud. TJ is ready to collapse; the students entering this year are unlikely to complete three years there. I mean, they get to discharge their loans if it collapses before they graduate, but Uncle Sam will pick up the tab.

This is the same country that has close to 0 funding for entry-level lawyers in FedGov.

We're paying off law profs at scam schools while cutting Honors programs for new attorneys. Pretty much an embezzlement/RICO scam in the broad light of day that nobody will do anything to stop.
They're not making up employment numbers or saying tuition is lower than it really is or something. It's not fraud just because an entity doesn't highlight its weaknesses, even if they're extensive. In the post-transparency climate, it's easier than ever to put two and two together, but as has been said many times, if any of these kids had the ability to recognize a shitty argument when they saw one, they'd have gotten better than a 141 on their LSAT.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:54 pm

They are hiding the fact that there's very little chance Thomas Jefferson will survive another year, let alone the three years needed for this year's entering class to graduate. That US taxpayers are propping this school up for just enough time to allow private investors to wring a little less of a loss out of it has got to be some kind of criminal activity. Fraud, embezzlement, racketeering--or just generalized corruption. Call it whatever you want, it still should be stopped.

That money could be going to getting jobs for people who have already graduated and passed the bar.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:23 pm

JCougar wrote:They are hiding the fact that there's very little chance Thomas Jefferson will survive another year, let alone the three years needed for this year's entering class to graduate.
I hope so but this seems too confident.

JGMotorsport

New

Post by JGMotorsport » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:06 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JGMotorsport

New

Post by JGMotorsport » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:40 pm

JCougar wrote:They are hiding the fact that there's very little chance Thomas Jefferson will survive another year, let alone the three years needed for this year's entering class to graduate. That US taxpayers are propping this school up for just enough time to allow private investors to wring a little less of a loss out of it has got to be some kind of criminal activity. Fraud, embezzlement, racketeering--or just generalized corruption. Call it whatever you want, it still should be stopped.

That money could be going to getting jobs for people who have already graduated and passed the bar.
Of the 235 that took the bar in California this year a total of 105 passed!

You get to go massively in debt and then graduate with a less than 1/2 chance of passing the bar for the state the school is in. That's unacceptable.

FullRamboLSGrad

New

Post by FullRamboLSGrad » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:44 pm

JGMotorsport wrote:
JCougar wrote:They are hiding the fact that there's very little chance Thomas Jefferson will survive another year, let alone the three years needed for this year's entering class to graduate. That US taxpayers are propping this school up for just enough time to allow private investors to wring a little less of a loss out of it has got to be some kind of criminal activity. Fraud, embezzlement, racketeering--or just generalized corruption. Call it whatever you want, it still should be stopped.

Of the 235 that took the bar in California this year a total of 105 passed!

You get to go massively in debt and then graduate with a less than 1/2 chance of passing the bar for the state the school is in. That's unacceptable.
What about Arizona Summit

For a reasonable 289k you too can graduate with a 30% chance of even passing the bar, then 1/5 chance of landing a legal-related job.

265 still matriculated to this dumpster fire.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:10 am

We should label and put tracking chips in these dumpster fires, finally escalating to full on gas chambers.

reasonableperson

New

Post by reasonableperson » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:17 am

JGMotorsport wrote:The ABA 509s are up!

http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/
Why would two people transfer from Michigan State -> Cooley? :o

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:16 am

Has anyone reconciled the spreadsheet with the 509s? (would be a painstaking task). It would be interesting to see what has changed and the actually data that will go to USNWR (although in most cases it should be the same as the spreadsheet I would imagine).

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:17 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:Has anyone reconciled the spreadsheet with the 509s? (would be a painstaking task). It would be interesting to see what has changed and the actually data that will go to USNWR (although in most cases it should be the same as the spreadsheet I would imagine).
I have.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:10 pm

Rigo wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:Has anyone reconciled the spreadsheet with the 509s? (would be a painstaking task). It would be interesting to see what has changed and the actually data that will go to USNWR (although in most cases it should be the same as the spreadsheet I would imagine).
I have.
That's crazy but awesome. Thanks!

Were any schools way off?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:26 pm

I don't really remember (did it all the day 509's came out) but most class sizes are few less students than initially leaked. I figure it's just a few people here and there dropping out.

Restricting the spreadsheet permissions has helped cut down on huge discrepancies. I remember a couple years ago how people would put in phony data to make (presumably their own) schools look better.

The biggest difference was that we put Cornell at a class size of 190 initially, but I was a bit thrown when it was 203 on the 509. Seemed like a big disconnect from unofficial and official. Since it was 203 last year, I'm still wondering if the 203 for this year is a mistake.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:41 pm

I should get the USNWR rankings a day early and will let everyone here know if I do :)

jetsfan1

Silver

Post by jetsfan1 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:57 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:I should get the USNWR rankings a day early and will let everyone here know if I do :)
No prediction competition this year?

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:25 pm

jetsfan1 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:I should get the USNWR rankings a day early and will let everyone here know if I do :)
The prediction contests were started the last 2 years on February 18th, and February 19th, so it's a bit premature to start it just yet (assuming North is generous enough to run it again this year).

jetsfan1

Silver

Post by jetsfan1 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:59 am

cannibal ox wrote:
jetsfan1 wrote:
The prediction contests were started the last 2 years on February 18th, and February 19th, so it's a bit premature to start it just yet (assuming North is generous enough to run it again this year).
Ah my bad. For some reason I thought I had remembered Spivey running them.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”