Need advice for law school apps!! Help appreciated. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kapenak

New

Need advice for law school apps!! Help appreciated.

Post by kapenak » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:07 pm

Hey guys,

So this past year I was unsure of whether or not to apply to law school but decided to go ahead with it kinda late in the process (apps in late January-mid February). I have a low GPA and low LSAT (for the schools I applied to, anyways), but ended up being WL'd by some schools that I really wanted to get into and would love to attend (GW, WashU, Emory, William & Mary). My dream school is GW, so that is the school I really want to go to, and because I didn't get off the WL (at least so far lol) I'm going to study for the LSAT and retake it in hopes of a higher score in December. My question to you guys is this:

Would it be better to reapply with my original score very early in the process (September) or wait for my new, hopefully improved, LSAT score to come in and again apply relatively late in the process. I got WL'd even though I applied so late last year, so would I stand a good chance of getting in if I apply very early? Or should I just focus on increasing my LSAT score and apply after that?

Thanks!! :D

UG-GPA: 3.1
Grad-GPA: 3.4
LSAT: 162
BS and Master in Engineering from Cornell
Last edited by kapenak on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Need advice for law school apps!! Help appreciated.

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:08 pm

Many schools waitlist a huge portion of the applicant pool. Unfortunately, it's really not any better than a rejection for the large majority of students who never move off of it.

Probably best to hold re-applying until you have a better score.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:11 pm

^That. A waitlist is in no way indicative of "almost being accepted"

Study like hell for your retake and reapply

hairbear7

Silver

Post by hairbear7 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:16 pm

As long as you improve your score, applying the first week of January (when your December LSAT comes back) is totally fine.

shump92

Bronze

Post by shump92 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:19 pm

Above posts are all spot on. Even if you were "almost admitted" that would have been at full cost of attendance. Assuming you nail your retake, your scholarship chances would be much better and that is always a good thing for application cycles. There is no benefit you are losing if your apps are still in by early January.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:26 pm

OP: It might help if you shared your current numbers.

kapenak

New

Post by kapenak » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:30 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: It might help if you shared your current numbers.
^^True! Numbers added to my original post.

benwyatt

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by benwyatt » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:35 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by benwyatt on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

shump92

Bronze

Post by shump92 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:49 pm

OP, hit GW's 75th (168) on your retake and I think you should be in a good spot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

benwyatt

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by benwyatt » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:54 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by benwyatt on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:55 pm

hairbear7 wrote:As long as you improve your score, applying the first week of January (when your December LSAT comes back) is totally fine.
+1.

Why don't you take this fall as well?

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:58 pm

Two engineering degrees from cornell and you wanna go to some average t1 law school? Man oh man

kapenak

New

Post by kapenak » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:17 pm

Clemenceau wrote:Two engineering degrees from cornell and you wanna go to some average t1 law school? Man oh man
Haha well I want to do patent law and GW is pretty much the perfect place to do it, especially because I want to stay in DC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:39 pm

kapenak wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:Two engineering degrees from cornell and you wanna go to some average t1 law school? Man oh man
Haha well I want to do patent law and GW is pretty much the perfect place to do it, especially because I want to stay in DC.
Fair enough. Good luck on the lsat/with your cycle

Ron Howard

Bronze

Post by Ron Howard » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:44 pm

shump92 wrote:OP, hit GW's 75th (168) on your retake and I think you should be in a good spot.
Consensus with the above, and maybe you can ED if you are really sure you want to go there, that is, if their full ride early decision is still a thing.

kapenak

New

Post by kapenak » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:17 pm

Thank you everyone for the help and advice!! One more question:

What do you guys think about personal statement, diversity statement, and letters of recommendations?? I don't really think I can write a better personal statement/diversity statement... I basically poured my all into them and can't think of anything better to possibly write about. Also, I haven't made any really quality academic/professional connections in the past year for new LORS. Will the admissions office look down on my application because I would be applying with basically the same application (bar an increased LSAT score)?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:28 pm

Basically nothing matters but LSAT and GPA. Massive errors or red flags in other parts of your application, or winning a nobel prize, might tip the scales. But otherwise nah. GPA and LSAT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:39 pm

did you just graduate in 2015? have you tried being an engineer? GW is going to put you worse off than being an engineer imo. id be an engineer for a couple years before you write it off.

kapenak

New

Post by kapenak » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:54 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:did you just graduate in 2015? have you tried being an engineer? GW is going to put you worse off than being an engineer imo. id be an engineer for a couple years before you write it off.

Hmm I'm curious as to why you say this? Now I know there are a lot of different factors to look at but looking at if from the financial standpoint, I would make more money coming out of law school than I would ever make as an engineer (rarely do engineers break $150k while lawyers start with it). I know GW isn't the best law school out there but all top law firms in DC and a lot from NYC recruit there, also looking specifically for IP which is what I plan to do. Maybe there is something you know that I don't though...

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:10 pm

if you like being an engineer youll do well for yourself without having to pay back loans. my engineer friends seem happy with their lives and definitely happier than biglaw lawyers. if this is simply just trying to max out your career earnings, you should probably work for a year to get some perspective, and then if you still feel the same way go to law school. k-jds usually dont make the best career decisions.

shump92

Bronze

Post by shump92 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:15 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:if you like being an engineer youll do well for yourself without having to pay back loans. my engineer friends seem happy with their lives and definitely happier than biglaw lawyers. if this is simply just trying to max out your career earnings, you should probably work for a year to get some perspective, and then if you still feel the same way go to law school. k-jds usually dont make the best career decisions.
I agree with this. I'll be a quasi KJD while applying but I've had exposure to what attorneys in my goal area actually do. Applying to law school without a good sense of what the job will entail in the pursuit of money alone doesn't seem the most prudent. Waiting one year could only help you be sure that law is what you really want.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”