Is Teach for America a strong soft in 2015? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hunt godlink

Bronze

Is Teach for America a strong soft in 2015?

Post by hunt godlink » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:14 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows how the T14 schools view TFA nowadays and whether TFA corps members get a meaningful leverage in admissions besides the fee waiver.

Calbears123

Bronze

Re: Is Teach for America a strong soft in 2015?

Post by Calbears123 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:49 pm

The only "strong" soft in admissions seems to be URM and military.
Last edited by Calbears123 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:18 am

no, just average.

snagglepuss

Gold

Post by snagglepuss » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:25 am

I sure by now the Yale adcoms keep a barf bucket around for every time they have to read about someone's TFA experience.

Ron Howard

Bronze

Post by Ron Howard » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:29 am

Yeah, since around two years work experience seems to be the norm for T14 students these days, TFA is now probably just an average soft. But that does not mean it is not worthwhile.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:48 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:no, just average.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ood

New

Post by ood » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:01 pm

As a TFA alum, it's just an okay soft. I try to avoid mentioning I'm TFA. It's on my resume, but I never speak about my "TFA Experience." In some parts of the country I've found TFA to be a hinderance. There's a lot of press, mostly bad, about TFA today.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:07 pm

Northwestern still likes TFA a lot.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:13 pm

the only tangible benefit with respect to most admissions processes will be free applications. but if your numbers are any good they'll be free anyway. It's an average soft that some people might even look at negatively.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Post by Chrstgtr » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:18 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Northwestern still likes TFA a lot.
Depends on the school.

I would say I outperformed my numbers at all of the T14 but that was most noticeable with Harvard, NYU, and NU.

ETA: So yes I would say it is a pretty good soft but not one where you see a super significant difference in your cycle. So still a "soft."

SufficientCondish

New

Post by SufficientCondish » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:05 pm

State School

TFA 2014 Corp

in at Penn and Georgetown w/ $$

I thought it helped ;-)

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:46 pm

SufficientCondish wrote:161

State School

TFA 2014 Corp

in at Penn and Georgetown w/ $$

I thought it helped ;-)
Maybe, but the above 75ths GPA is really why you're getting action.

Also, you should strongly consider retaking the LSAT. You could easily go to law school - a really amazing law school - for free.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:57 pm

Agree that it is a strong soft for Northwestern.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hogscienceavatarlost

New

Post by hogscienceavatarlost » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:54 pm

In this past cycle I performed pretty much exactly as MyLSN predicted with my numbers. I guess the question becomes: would I have under-performed without TFA? I reckon it's better than K-JD, but still average work experience. When it comes down to it, we're just public school teachers.

hunt godlink

Bronze

Post by hunt godlink » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:17 am

Also, what if I only decide to do it for one year and withdraw to focus on the LSAT. Would that affect my chances/would law schools care?
Last edited by hunt godlink on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

John_Luther1989

Bronze

Post by John_Luther1989 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:28 am

TFA is starting to fall into "This is how my mission trip to [poor country] changed my life" territory. I think people are starting to view it for what it is: a 2-year deferral before law school or banking rather than some high minded program for people committed to education.

SufficientCondish

New

Post by SufficientCondish » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:54 am

I only did one year...I Applied during the fall. Only one school (Villanova) even asked about it.

But here is the truth. TFA is not a thing you can just "do to get into law school". It is impossibly challenging and takes over your life. You will not be able to study for the LSAT while also teaching 8 hours a day, lesson planning, grading, doing TFA PD and also having break time to recoup.

I was passionate about being a teacher and... Then plans changed, but you have to want to do the work... Or else you'll quit in a month... And no law school wants to hear about that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:27 pm

SufficientCondish wrote: But here is the truth. TFA is not a thing you can just "do to get into law school". It is impossibly challenging and takes over your life. You will not be able to study for the LSAT while also teaching 8 hours a day, lesson planning, grading, doing TFA PD and also having break time to recoup.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. I was teaching at a tough high school while studying for my June LSAT and it was entirely doable. It's certainly not comfortable, though.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:58 pm

Joscellin wrote:
SufficientCondish wrote: But here is the truth. TFA is not a thing you can just "do to get into law school". It is impossibly challenging and takes over your life. You will not be able to study for the LSAT while also teaching 8 hours a day, lesson planning, grading, doing TFA PD and also having break time to recoup.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. I was teaching at a tough high school while studying for my June LSAT and it was entirely doable. It's certainly not comfortable, though.
Yea, you can definitely study for the LSAT while doing TFA -- you have paid summers off. Just spend June through August prepping for the October exam.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:47 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
Yea, you can definitely study for the LSAT while doing TFA -- you have paid summers off. Just spend June through August prepping for the October exam.
My point is that the workload isn't so tremendous that you can't study during the year, as well. Honestly, budgeting LSAT study time while teaching should be fairly good practice for law school anyway.

New

Post by 7777777 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:25 pm

Joscellin wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
My point is that the workload isn't so tremendous that you can't study during the year, as well. Honestly, budgeting LSAT study time while teaching should be fairly good practice for law school anyway.
Maybe you are an anomaly, but I agree with SufficientCondish here. W/r/t the vast majority of people, it is exceedingly difficult to be a good teacher while also taking seriously another pursuit (ie increasing your LSAT in a meaningful way). Very few inexperienced educators could cope with the heavy demands of good teaching while, say, improving their LSAT from 163 to 174. I am not saying you are this kind of guy or girl. But, the people who do this kind of next-steeping in their 16th month of teaching are, by and large, among the few that make TFA look bad.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

New

Post by 7777777 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:26 pm

John_Luther1989 wrote:TFA is starting to fall into "This is how my mission trip to [poor country] changed my life" territory. I think people are starting to view it for what it is: a 2-year deferral before law school or banking rather than some high minded program for people committed to education.
evidence?

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Post by Chrstgtr » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:36 pm

It is probably worth mentioning that if you cannot find time to study for the LSAT when you are young and have summers off, extended spring breaks and winter breaks in addition to a facetime requirement of only about 40 hours a week, you will likely have a rough time in LS where everything is about balancing and managing your time or after LS when most law jobs are extremely demanding. Just something to think about.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:41 am

7777777 wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
Maybe you are an anomaly, but I agree with SufficientCondish here. W/r/t the vast majority of people, it is exceedingly difficult to be a good teacher while also taking seriously another pursuit (ie increasing your LSAT in a meaningful way). Very few inexperienced educators could cope with the heavy demands of good teaching while, say, improving their LSAT from 163 to 174. I am not saying you are this kind of guy or girl. But, the people who do this kind of next-steeping in their 16th month of teaching are, by and large, among the few that make TFA look bad.
That is probably fair. I wasn't TFA myself, but I was teaching public high school. It probably helped me that I was in my third year when I was doing my LSAT prep work in the run up to this past June (and got my increase in the range you specified :p). A few years in and you learn a lot of skills to minimize the crushing workload of your first year or two, I was probably underestimating the experience aspect.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:44 am

7777777 wrote:
John_Luther1989 wrote:TFA is starting to fall into "This is how my mission trip to [poor country] changed my life" territory. I think people are starting to view it for what it is: a 2-year deferral before law school or banking rather than some high minded program for people committed to education.
evidence?
There are definitely a lot of people who view TFA this way.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”