T6 PS and work experience Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
libertttarian

New

T6 PS and work experience

Post by libertttarian » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:17 am

Hey guys. I'm a recent grad with a 3.90-3.95 gpa and 177 lsat. I'm taking this year off to work in state politics, LA type stuff with a focus on an issue like healthcare, education, etc.

Goal would be HYS or CCN with $$; I'm wondering how I should frame my work experience, if I should make it a point at all in my PS. Should my resume just speak for itself or is it ok to use the PS to talk about my passion for politics and how a law degree opens doors in that field?

If it matters, I have no real softs. I was a STEM major and didn't join many groups in college, although I have work experience in civic type jobs. Is my lack of engagement with ug going to matter, or will work experience and a focus on relevant goals make up for it?
Does the calculus change for YS vs HCCN?

Thanks for the time!

nerd1

Bronze

Re: T6 PS and work experience

Post by nerd1 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:15 am

Don't worry about anything. You didn't need to post this.

You will get into at least one, probably two, of HYS. Don't bother applying to N. Just apply to CC only. You will get substantial scholarship offers from CC.

Congrats!

-- From my own experience with similar stats

Sotfs? Your WE would be an ok soft, and besides, numbers>>softs for law school admissions.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:38 pm

Yeah I wouldn't worry at all about your application. Ignore what the person above said about skipping NYU though. You are not guaranteed (although good chances) at a Hamilton or Ruby, so throwing your name out for a Vanderbilt (if not even going a little lower) is definitely the right approach.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:45 pm

nerd1 wrote: Don't bother applying to N. Just apply to CC only. You will get substantial scholarship offers from CC.
Whoa whoa whoa there. I don't think this is helpful advice. A full ride at cc is never guaranteed. Furthermore, whose to say an nyu fully might not be the best fit for op?

Sure, op will probably end up at hys, but that's not the point.

Edit : scooped by aux

libertttarian

New

Post by libertttarian » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:03 pm

Thanks for the replies. I definitely plan on applying to all of CCN, plus probably one or two of PMVD.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:38 pm

libertttarian wrote:Hey guys. I'm a recent grad with a 3.90-3.95 gpa and 177 lsat. I'm taking this year off to work in state politics, LA type stuff with a focus on an issue like healthcare, education, etc.

Goal would be HYS or CCN with $$; I'm wondering how I should frame my work experience, if I should make it a point at all in my PS. Should my resume just speak for itself or is it ok to use the PS to talk about my passion for politics and how a law degree opens doors in that field?

If it matters, I have no real softs. I was a STEM major and didn't join many groups in college, although I have work experience in civic type jobs. Is my lack of engagement with ug going to matter, or will work experience and a focus on relevant goals make up for it?
Does the calculus change for YS vs HCCN?

Thanks for the time!
Don't talk about your job in your PS unless you have an insightful thing to say about it. I doubt you do, because "passion for politics and how a law degree opens doors in that field" is both trite and wrong. Write about something else.
Not having softs isn't going to matter for CCN. It might for H, and it will for YS, but joining college groups isn't a soft anyway.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:24 pm

given your background and experience, don't forget to apply for the RTK and furman schollies
i know several people in these programs, they're fantastic for those interested in policy/gov't
and the scholars themselves are a v impressive group

gl w/ your cycle

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:45 pm

Brut wrote:given your background and experience, don't forget to apply for the RTK and furman schollies
i know several people in these programs, they're fantastic for those interested in policy/gov't
and the scholars themselves are a v impressive group

gl w/ your cycle

I've been looking into the Furman the past few weeks, would you mind if I PM you to talk about it?

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:47 pm

sure

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:02 am

Lol at not applying to NYU.

Any work experience is better than college softs, so you will be fine.

Abraham Lincoln Uni.

Bronze

Post by Abraham Lincoln Uni. » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:14 pm

Hello There!

I hope all is well.

That is great that you are going to gain experience in state politics. It will definitely help in whatever area of law you choose to practice.

In terms of your experience, depending on the specific call of the personal statement, you can always apply how your work experience shaped your interest and passion for law, as you noted. If it does not seem to fit or belong in your personal statement, then you may include it in your supplemental application if need be.

Although you might not have many extracurricular activities or club involvement, your work experience should suffice to illustrate you were involved in other activities outside of undergraduate studies.

Best of luck!

nerd1

Bronze

Post by nerd1 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:07 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Lol at not applying to NYU.

Who would pick NYU $$ over Columbia $$?
With right numbers, CC scholarship offers are to be expected.
I was just speaking from my own experience. Lol all you want.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:06 pm

nerd1 wrote:

Anyone? They're peers, NYU is also stronger in PI. If someone liked the culture of NYU more then they should go there..

Ron Howard

Bronze

Post by Ron Howard » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:22 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
nerd1 wrote:

Anyone? They're peers, NYU is also stronger in PI. If someone liked the culture of NYU more then they should go there..
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”