Getting into S/Y Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jb00020

New

Getting into S/Y

Post by jb00020 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:53 am

Hi all,

I just graduated in May with a 3.9+ and got a 173 LSAT in June. I realize I have a good shot at H, but is there anything I can do from now to application time to improve my chances at S/Y? I'm working a 30 hour/week office job so I have plenty of time to volunteer and do other things. FWIW, I'm from Cali and I'd really like to stay on the west coast.

Thanks!

malleus discentium

Silver

Re: Getting into S/Y

Post by malleus discentium » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:54 am

Other than taking several years off to do something impressive, no.

WolfOf127WallStreet

New

Post by WolfOf127WallStreet » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:31 pm

I think you have a good shot at S. Y is a mystery

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:34 pm

Keep in touch with your recommenders and make sure they love you and know you well.

abitaman6363

Bronze

Post by abitaman6363 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:58 pm

First and foremost, congratulations on the numbers. You will go somewhere great and you should take a moment to be proud of yourself. The application process will be hard work (but also a great intellectual exercise). In the meantime, you are in a great place and should congratulate yourself.

Now, onto the question. Doing something impressive (in the sense we are discussing here) would not take years. I took a few months off and traveled to a rather outlandish country and became involved in the female education movement. Yes, Yale does seem to like these off off-kilter and colorful experiences. However, you should only undertake such things if they are something you would like to do anyways. I think that Yale is less concerned with the experience than your passion behind the experience. This is what will echo throughout your application.

So, if I had to give a bit of advice, it would simply be to think of your passion and pursue it to the extreme between now and your applications. Whether this is collaborating to start a new library in a small village or lobbying for LGBT rights--find something you love and go for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:07 pm

Can't believe I'm the first person to say "retake." (or rather, study and retake in Sept/Oct)

Make sure your essays are good. I spent a solid amount of time on them, although it's hard to distinguish from memory because I was doing all my MBA essays at the same time. I think that self-reflective process definitely spilled over into the personal statement and the Yale 250, however, and I imagine those two things made a difference (given that I got into both as a KJD).

Think a lot about what you've done that makes you a unique person likely to enhance the experience of the other 179 students (or 200 whatever at Yale) you'll be going to school with for three years. These two schools focus a TON on building a truly holistic class.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:50 am

yeah if you were PTing higher you could retake for Y

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”