Letters of Recommendation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cdotson2

Silver

Letters of Recommendation

Post by cdotson2 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:40 pm

I have read on here that it is always better to get a great LOR rather than one from someone important, that being said what if I can get semi equivalent ones from the Associate Dean of Students, or Assistant Director for Student Conduct and Outreach, both of which I have had extensive contact with and have worked under through the student conduct board which I am the president of at my university. The final question is how would those compare to a slightly less personable LOR from the Dean of Students?
Last edited by cdotson2 on Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Letters of Recommendation

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:42 pm

cdotson2 wrote:I have read on hear that it is always better to get a great LOR rather than one from someone important, that being said what if I can get semi equivalent ones from the Associate Dean of Students, or Assistant Director for Student Conduct and Outreach, both of which I have had extensive contact with and have worked under through the student conduct board which I am the president of at my university. The final question is how would those compare to a slightly less personable LOR from the Dean of Students?
The former two are better than the latter.
Even letters from regular profs who knew you well would still be better than one from a dean of students who doesn't.

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:45 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:I have read on hear that it is always better to get a great LOR rather than one from someone important, that being said what if I can get semi equivalent ones from the Associate Dean of Students, or Assistant Director for Student Conduct and Outreach, both of which I have had extensive contact with and have worked under through the student conduct board which I am the president of at my university. The final question is how would those compare to a slightly less personable LOR from the Dean of Students?
Even letters from regular profs who knew you well would still be better than one from a dean of students who doesn't.
but what about between the first two? the Associate Dean is the Boss of the other one.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:47 pm

cdotson2 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
but what about between the first two? the Associate Dean is the Boss of the other one.
Whichever one is the better letter.

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:57 am

rinkrat19 wrote: Whichever one is the better letter.
But I cannot read the letters.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:52 pm

cdotson2 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote: Whichever one is the better letter.
But I cannot read the letters.
:roll: Whichever person you think will write the better letter, including more flattering descriptions of you and their detailed knowledge of how well you'd do in law school.

LORs are a box to be checked, not anything worth getting this neurotic over. A bad LOR can hurt you, but one additional point on the LSAT is worth more than the difference between the LOR options you've described.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”