Law school from undergrad Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
deant286

Bronze

Re: Law school from undergrad

Post by deant286 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:46 pm

Last edited by deant286 on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

cheeseballs

New

Post by cheeseballs » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:57 pm

Fwiw I feel that I outperformed my numbers this cycle when applying in my third and final year as an undergraduate at a run of the mill public school. Then again, I had other stuff on my resume too. One school out of the fifteen I applied to asked me for an updated transcript with final fall grades. The school that asked happened to be a safety outside of the t-14. Due to varying cut-off dates by state and district of when people start school, I think I am basically the same age as other k-jds. Just do what is best for you.

UpandDown97

Bronze

Post by UpandDown97 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:10 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
deant286 wrote:
KMart wrote:By any chance can you get a thesis published?
Just happened to come across this thread and read this, but how much bearing does completing a thesis during undergrad have on law school admissions? How about co-authoring a publication in an academic journal? Are these two the sort of softs that actually can give you an edge? I always assumed not, but now that you are posing this question to OP my curiosity has been piqued.
Average soft at best. They're required in a lot of programs so you're not really going to stick out much imo
How in the world could that be average? It's a pretty big deal to get published.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:15 pm

Don't go to law school until you're at least, like, 25. Going when you're like 22-23 is a huge mistake. Your early 20s are far too precious.

D
O
N
'
T

D
O

I
T

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:25 pm

UpandDown97 wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
deant286 wrote:
Just happened to come across this thread and read this, but how much bearing does completing a thesis during undergrad have on law school admissions? How about co-authoring a publication in an academic journal? Are these two the sort of softs that actually can give you an edge? I always assumed not, but now that you are posing this question to OP my curiosity has been piqued.
Average soft at best. They're required in a lot of programs so you're not really going to stick out much imo
How in the world could that be average? It's a pretty big deal to get published.
I was referring to just completing a thesis, but getting something published probably would just be another average soft as well. There's lots of people with PHDs and lots of published work on LSN/TLS and they generally perform as their numbers usually would.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:14 pm

Kjd shouldn't be a thing. Go do something first.

JedBartlet2016

New

Post by JedBartlet2016 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:21 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:Kjd shouldn't be a thing. Go do something first.
+1

You'll realize if Law School is in fact what you really want to do

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:00 am

I'm not going to advise someone to not go straight from undergrad to JD because I would be a hypocrite. I started law school less than two weeks after I graduated from college. However, I will say that it appears to me from my 1L section that the older students with work experience did better than the K-JDs on average. A lot of the people that did well were 25 to 30 years old. Hell, one of the guys that did really well is in his 40s.

At the same time, I also did really well as a 1L and I'm 23 years old. I wouldn't say you're necessarily at a disadvantage. It just depends on your work ethic. I feel like the older students tend to have a better work ethic. They weren't stuck in that undergrad mindset. I also did not get stuck in that undergrad mindset. But I know many friends that did. And honestly, I am surprised I didn't because I tended to slack a bit in undergrad. But I worked hard as a 1L and did well.

So it would probably help you to get work experience but you can still do well if you're mature and willing to work extremely hard.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:39 am

lawman84 wrote:I'm not going to advise someone to not go straight from undergrad to JD because I would be a hypocrite. I started law school less than two weeks after I graduated from college. However, I will say that it appears to me from my 1L section that the older students with work experience did better than the K-JDs on average. A lot of the people that did well were 25 to 30 years old. Hell, one of the guys that did really well is in his 40s.

At the same time, I also did really well as a 1L and I'm 23 years old. I wouldn't say you're necessarily at a disadvantage. It just depends on your work ethic. I feel like the older students tend to have a better work ethic. They weren't stuck in that undergrad mindset. I also did not get stuck in that undergrad mindset. But I know many friends that did. And honestly, I am surprised I didn't because I tended to slack a bit in undergrad. But I worked hard as a 1L and did well.

So it would probably help you to get work experience but you can still do well if you're mature and willing to work extremely hard.
Yeah but it's not really about doing well in school, it's more about caring what should be cared about and getting maximum enjoyment out of life.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:02 am

K-JD here as well. Not only will WE probably help with OCI in general, it will also help in every single interview when you are asked "why law," "why big firm," "why XYZ practice area." It's hard to give a compelling answer as a liberal arts grad, and while it still works out, it's just much easier for you to work for a year and then easily be able to communicate "I want to do XYZ because I have experience in this or ABC and blah blah blah."

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:23 am

scottidsntknow wrote:K-JD here as well. Not only will WE probably help with OCI in general, it will also help in every single interview when you are asked "why law," "why big firm," "why XYZ practice area." It's hard to give a compelling answer as a liberal arts grad, and while it still works out, it's just much easier for you to work for a year and then easily be able to communicate "I want to do XYZ because I have experience in this or ABC and blah blah blah."
Eh, depends on what type of direction you have coming out of college. I know exactly what I want to do and I know exactly how I want to accomplish it. We'll see if I succeed in doing that. Because of that, those questions won't be difficult for me to answer.
BigZuck wrote:
lawman84 wrote:I'm not going to advise someone to not go straight from undergrad to JD because I would be a hypocrite. I started law school less than two weeks after I graduated from college. However, I will say that it appears to me from my 1L section that the older students with work experience did better than the K-JDs on average. A lot of the people that did well were 25 to 30 years old. Hell, one of the guys that did really well is in his 40s.

Yeah but it's not really about doing well in school, it's more about caring what should be cared about and getting maximum enjoyment out of life.
I'm getting plenty of enjoyment out of life and am quite happy with the choice I made.

UpandDown97

Bronze

Post by UpandDown97 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:38 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
UpandDown97 wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
deant286 wrote:
I was referring to just completing a thesis, but getting something published probably would just be another average soft as well. There's lots of people with PHDs and lots of published work on LSN/TLS and they generally perform as their numbers usually would.
I'd love to see proof if you've got it.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:42 am

I'm not saying that it will be difficult to come up with an answer in general, but it will be more difficult to come up with a good answer that you won't be further grilled on.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:39 am

scottidsntknow wrote:I'm not saying that it will be difficult to come up with an answer in general, but it will be more difficult to come up with a good answer that you won't be further grilled on.
Good. Will keep them away from topics that I might not be able to answer well. :wink:

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:23 am

UpandDown97 wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
UpandDown97 wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
deant286 wrote:
Go look at LSN profiles lol

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:50 am

UpandDown97 wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
UpandDown97 wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
deant286 wrote:
Pretty sure this is correct. Publications are decent softs, but not in the very small category of softs that overcome your numbers. PhDs are a good example - the PhD is a good soft and most PhDs do have publications, but they still don't generally outperform their numbers (the ones I know of who did especially well with admissions had stellar numbers to start with). Also, a lot of undergrad publications are in undergrad specific venues or as one of multiple authors, so not all publishing is a big deal (in the sense of making a candidate stand out for admissions purposes). If it's something like Elizabeth Wurtzel writing Prozac Nation that's going to be different, or if you've written a lot or won numerous prizes.

victory

Bronze

Post by victory » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:17 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:KJD has been very bad for HYS admissions recently

CCN don't give a shit they'll take you if they have the numbers
Anywhere I can find more info on this? The only person I've seen underperform their numbers wrt HYS this cycle was a KJD, but their performance was more KJD + weak softs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hat.trick

Bronze

Post by Hat.trick » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:51 pm

I'm K-JD and i got my undergrad degree in three years so they only had four semester to judge my grades, same as you. My GPA wasn't that great at 3.76 and i got accepted everywhere that i applied, including Harvard, which was my dream school and where i'll be attending in the fall. I think what worked well for me were my internships and the fact that i had worked with two startup companies. But dont be discouraged at all, it can defiently happen.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”