Low GPA, Any Decent Schools I Could Get Into? Advice?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Solon

Low GPA, Any Decent Schools I Could Get Into? Advice?

Postby Solon » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:25 am

So I took the LSAT 3 years ago after I graduated from college (around the time I created this account back in October 2012, tempus fugit!). I didn't take any classes or anything, I bought a self-study book which I only browsed through to get an idea of what would be on the test.

I scored a 164.

I probably could have scored higher had I done rigorous studying and taken classes like I did for the SAT, on which only the Math section denied me a perfect score. I figured the LSAT would be all verbal and no annoying geometry questions so it would be easy. However I was unprepared for the "Logic Games" section which tripped me up badly. I wish I had taken studying for the test more seriously back then. It's been so long since I took the test (or any test for that matter since I've been out of school) that I doubt I could raise my score higher if I were to retake it now.

My GPA is a lousy 3.06, primarily due to my foolish decision to waste my first two years of college in pre-med courses when the hard sciences are definitely not my specialty. Organic Chemistry is a GPA killer. :evil:

In the meantime I've been active in politics, I worked for a state assemblyman for 2 years up until recently and have been active on election campaigns and engaged in political activism. I'm presently unemployed because I resigned from the assembly office to work on a congressional campaign full-time having been told I would have a job in the congressman's office, however he lost the election and never became a congressman, so there was no job for me.

The whole law school application process is daunting to me. Are there any decent schools I could get into? Is it too late to apply for Fall admission? Any advice? I asked professors for letters of recommendation but now I'm regretting it as I'm dubious as to whether I could get into any good schools with my mediocre numbers.

rinkrat19

Re: Low GPA, Any Decent Schools I Could Get Into? Advice?

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:36 am

Your only rational option is to study properly for the LSAT and retake.

PoopNpants

Re: Low GPA, Any Decent Schools I Could Get Into? Advice?

Postby PoopNpants » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:44 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Your only rational option is to study properly for the LSAT and retake.

Yep. Aim for a 170+

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”