Is everyone that good?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jurssiczz

Is everyone that good?

Postby Jurssiczz » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:49 am

HLS's class profile

6000 applicants
900 offers
500 enrolled

I was wondering whether 90% of those 6000 applicants had amazing stats ( 3.7+, 170+) or were most just trying their luck. What do you guys and gals think?
Last edited by Jurssiczz on Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Clemenceau

Re: Is everyone that good?

Postby Clemenceau » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:57 am

Well I think there were only like 2500 applicants with 170+ lsats this cycle. So no, not even half of those applicants had 170s.

I'm sure tons of people apply to harvard as a hail mary despite not having numbers near their range.

R. Jeeves

Postby R. Jeeves » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:04 am

^ya

plus if youre worried that there are a bunch of people who are at/around the medians, and only the special people with such numbers get in, that isnt the case. Generally, applicants who are above both medians (GPA/LSAT medians for the most recent incoming class) or at one and above the other, are likely to get in.

Jurssiczz

Postby Jurssiczz » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:10 am

Clemenceau wrote:Well I think there were only like 2500 applicants with 170+ lsats this cycle. So no, not even half of those applicants had 170s.

I'm sure tons of people apply to harvard as a hail mary despite not having numbers near their range.

Thanks for replying!

Still, 2500 applicants with 170+ is impressive and very competitive. So I ask you then, why do people always say that law school admissions is a numbers game when that doesn't seem to apply to HYS? A lot of applicants have great numbers but not all of them can get in. How do you differentiate yourself then? People on TLS constantly say that majors, ECs, personal statements/essays and experience don't matter when clearly they must at these schools.

Jurssiczz

Postby Jurssiczz » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:11 am

pulstar wrote:^ya

plus if youre worried that there are a bunch of people who are at/around the medians, and only the special people with such numbers get in, that isnt the case. Generally, applicants who are above both medians (GPA/LSAT medians for the most recent incoming class) or at one and above the other, are likely to get in.

That is what I was worried. I'm glad that that isn't the case :D

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:12 am

Jurssiczz wrote:HLS
Jurssiczz wrote:I was wandering whether or not . . .

LOL.

Jurssiczz

Postby Jurssiczz » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:22 am

Traynor Brah wrote:

LOL.

English isn't my first language.

You laugh but I have 173 LSAT with a 3.97 GPA majoring in Math and Economics. All in all, I would say that i'm much smarter than you.

:mrgreen:

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:23 am

Jurssiczz wrote:
Traynor Brah wrote:

LOL.

You laugh but I have 173 LSAT with a 3.97 GPA majoring in Math and Economics. All in all, I would say that i'm much smarter than you.

Bragging about your intelligence on an online forum is a true mark of genius.

Jurssiczz

Postby Jurssiczz » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:29 am

RZ5646 wrote:
Jurssiczz wrote:
Traynor Brah wrote:

LOL.

Bragging about your intelligence on an online forum is a true mark of genius.

So is mocking someone's grammar...

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:30 am

Jurssiczz wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:Well I think there were only like 2500 applicants with 170+ lsats this cycle. So no, not even half of those applicants had 170s.

Thanks for replying!

Still, 2500 applicants with 170+ is impressive and very competitive. So I ask you then, why do people always say that law school admissions is a numbers game when that doesn't seem to apply to HYS? A lot of applicants have great numbers but not all of them can get in. How do you differentiate yourself then? People on TLS constantly say that majors, ECs, personal statements/essays and experience don't matter when clearly they must at these schools.

What brings you to that conclusion? A 170 alone doesn't make you a competive applicant at hls.

Of those 170+ scorers, hundreds of them won't have the the gpa needed for hls, and hundreds more will be clustered around the 170-172 range, which is actually on the low end for hls. From a statistical point of view, its really not hard to imagine that of 2500 170+ applicants, only about 900 had numbers good enough to snag hls.

It's a numbers game.

R. Jeeves

Postby R. Jeeves » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:31 am

Jurssiczz wrote:

Thanks for replying!

admission at YS isnt as focused on numbers as all the other schools are. For YS your softs matter. For Harvard it's still *mostly* about the numbers. A lot of people with 170+ LSATs may not have GPAs that harvard considers competitive. Also 170 is below their median too.

eta: scooped by clemenceau
Last edited by R. Jeeves on Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jurssiczz

Postby Jurssiczz » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:34 am

Clemenceau wrote:
Jurssiczz wrote:

Thanks for replying!

What brings you to that conclusion? A 170 alone doesn't make you a competive applicant at hls.

Of those 170+ scorers, hundreds of them won't have the the gpa needed for hls, and hundreds more will be clustered around the 170-172 range, which is actually on the low end for hls. From a statistical point of view, its really not hard to imagine that of 2500 170+ applicants, only about 900 had numbers good enough to snag hls.

It's a numbers game.

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:34 am

Jurssiczz wrote:Still, 2500 applicants with 170+ is impressive and very competitive. So I ask you then, why do people always say that law school admissions is a numbers game when that doesn't seem to apply to HYS? A lot of applicants have great numbers but not all of them can get in. How do you differentiate yourself then? People on TLS constantly say that majors, ECs, personal statements/essays and experience don't matter when clearly they must at these schools.

The refrain is usually "those things don't matter except at YS and maybe H."

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:35 am

Jurssiczz wrote:I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Wow I'm shocked you even needed clarification given how smart you are

Jurssiczz

Postby Jurssiczz » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:37 am

Kinky John wrote:
Jurssiczz wrote:I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Wow I'm shocked you even needed clarification given how smart you are

Cool story bro

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:04 am

Jurssiczz wrote:
Traynor Brah wrote:

LOL.

LOL.

ryangreenspan

Postby ryangreenspan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:05 am

Jurssiczz wrote:
Traynor Brah wrote:

LOL.

I have your same majors, a 3.99 gpa at a top ug, and a 175 LSAT. Just retook in June for a better chance at $$$$ at CCN. So since grades and standardized test scores are what we're going to use to measure intelligence, where does that put me in relation to you? Slightly smarter or much smarter?

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:10 am

Jurssiczz wrote:All in all, I would say that i'm much smarter than you.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jurssiczz

Postby Jurssiczz » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:12 am

ryangreenspan wrote:
Jurssiczz wrote:
Traynor Brah wrote:

LOL.

I have your same majors, a 3.99 gpa at a top ug, and a 175 LSAT. Just retook in June for a better chance at $$$$ at CCN. So since grades and standardized test scores are what we're going to use to measure intelligence, where does that put me in relation to you? Slightly smarter or much smarter?

I am not going to dispute that you're smart. I admire math majors that manage to get a gpa over a 3.8. What bugs me is when polisci/english/soft majors that think they're so smart because they can correct a sentence.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:21 am

Wtf are you ~4.0's in math/econ doing going to law school?

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:26 am

pancakes3 wrote:Wtf are you ~4.0's in math/econ doing going to law school?

We'd understand if only we could STEM

Just stick to correcting grammar and pretending like liberal arts majors get to play at a big kids' table like those intellectual heavyweight math majors

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:27 am

Ya I can't imagine many more effective ways to piss away a strong quantitative background than going to law school

Jurssiczz

Postby Jurssiczz » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:45 am

I'm also applying to MFIN and MFE programs. If I get into my top choice finance program, i'll probably go for it. However, if I don't, I would like to go to a top 5 law school.

BizBro

Postby BizBro » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:51 am

Jurssiczz wrote:

I'm also applying to MFIN and MFE programs. If I get into my top choice finance program, i'll probably go for it. However, if I don't, I would like to go to a top 5 law school.

What's top 5? Also, it'll be terribly sad when you end up with median grades at law school despite being so much smarter with your math and econ background :(

Jurssiczz

Postby Jurssiczz » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:56 am

BizBro wrote:
Jurssiczz wrote:

What's top 5? Also, it'll be terribly sad when you end up with median grades at law school despite being so much smarter with your math and econ background :(

By top 5, I mean HYSCC. BTW, I only took 1 month to prep for the LSAT because I also took the GMAT

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”