Can you write too many essays during the application process?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AlexandraHope

Can you write too many essays during the application process?

Postby AlexandraHope » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:20 am

So far I am sending a personal statement, diversity statement, why x school, and my GPA addendum. However, I'm starting to believe that is too many essays for my application. Should I just combine my diversity statement and why x statement?

I'm applying to : Duke, Emory, UTk, UT-Austin, Vandy, University of Memphis, and possibly one or two others.

LawsRUs

Re: Can you write too many essays during the application process?

Postby LawsRUs » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:33 am

I think you'll be fine. But if you feel that you are starting to sound repetitive, you might need to combine them.

Also, you might be able to get away without writing a DS if your PS is your DS, i.e. Your PS says that you come from a diverse background and how that would contribute to the law school and legal communities. In other words, it depends on how your essays turn out and what they are about.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:28 am

Can you combine your why x and PS or DS? Especially if the school claims specialization or some proficiency in a particular area of law that you're writing about.

i.e. "PS about doing public interest. And I know that <school>'s dedication to public service, as evinced by blah, would help me further those goals."

AlexandraHope

Postby AlexandraHope » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:33 am

encore1101 wrote:Can you combine your why x and PS or DS? Especially if the school claims specialization or some proficiency in a particular area of law that you're writing about.

i.e. "PS about doing public interest. And I know that <school>'s dedication to public service, as evinced by blah, would help me further those goals."

I can combine my why x and ds for some of the schools.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”