Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawman84
Posts: 3302
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Postby lawman84 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:17 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Bob, you really gonna make your stand on the grounds that buying your way into a school is just as much unfair as buying preptest material?


To be fair, the advantage gained from having prep materials for the LSAT over a person that can't afford them is likely greater than the advantage that a consultant can give you. That all said, I don't agree with Bob's argument. Still, if someone wants to get a consultant, let them. Who cares?

User avatar
smaug
Posts: 12633
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Postby smaug » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:17 pm

lawman84 wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Bob, you really gonna make your stand on the grounds that buying your way into a school is just as much unfair as buying preptest material?


To be fair, the advantage gained from having prep materials for the LSAT over a person that can't afford them is likely greater than the advantage that a consultant can give you. That all said, I don't agree with Bob's argument. Still, if someone wants to get a consultant, let them. Who cares?

i agree with all of this.

i just wanted to make fun of bob.

User avatar
Skool
Posts: 1028
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Postby Skool » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:40 pm

lawman84 wrote:Who cares?

I guess I care because I feel some allegiance to applicants and don't want them to be fleeced.The coolest thing about TLS is that it makes it harder to fleece kids. I like adding my experience to the conversation if it makes applicants better informed.


(I know that was rhetorical).

lawman84
Posts: 3302
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Postby lawman84 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:50 pm

Skool wrote:
lawman84 wrote:Who cares?

I guess I care because I feel some allegiance to applicants and don't want them to be fleeced.The coolest thing about TLS is that it makes it harder to fleece kids. I like adding my experience to the conversation if it makes applicants better informed.


(I know that was rhetorical).


You're taking that a bit out of context. I'm not saying that in relation to giving them advice on whether or not to do it. I'm saying that in relation to judging them after they did it.

User avatar
Skool
Posts: 1028
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Postby Skool » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:54 pm

I mean, the preceding sentence was: "Still, if someone wants to get a consultant, let them. Who cares?" (Emphasis added).

The let them/who cares seems to happen on the front end and the wants is present tense rather than retrospective/on the back end. But whatever.

lawman84
Posts: 3302
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Postby lawman84 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:03 pm

Skool wrote:I mean, the preceding sentence was: "Still, if someone wants to get a consultant, let them. Who cares?" (Emphasis added).

The let them/who cares seems to happen on the front end and the wants is present tense rather than retrospective/on the back end. But whatever.


No real need to argue over semantics here. I already clarified what I meant by the statement.

I could have done a better job of making it more clear at the outset but this is a forum so I don't typically proofread what I'm writing. Regardless, the point being made is if somebody wants to work with a consultant (not somebody seeking advice as to whether or not it's worth it), why judge them for it?

User avatar
Skool
Posts: 1028
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Postby Skool » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:16 pm

I guess by publicly judging you have an open conversation about the merits of the decision so that the pros and cons are laid bare for others who are still deciding what they are going to do. Similar to how people around here give EDers shit before during and after the decision. (See, e.g., warheit before during and after Chicago fin aid came out).

Eta: I don't concede that I've been publicly retrospectively judg-y, although my tone has admittedly been shitty and in my head I'm judging hard as shit.

lawman84
Posts: 3302
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Postby lawman84 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:32 pm

Skool wrote:I guess by publicly judging you have an open conversation about the merits of the decision so that the pros and cons are laid bare for others who are still deciding what they are going to do. Similar to how people around here give EDers shit before during and after the decision. (See, e.g., warheit before during and after Chicago fin aid came out).

Eta: I don't concede that I've been publicly retrospectively judg-y, although my tone has admittedly been shitty and in my head I'm judging hard as shit.


No, I totally agree that I think it's a waste of $5000. But hey, if they want to do it, I'm not going to consider it "buying their way into law school" or be bitter about it.(not saying you did...that's just what I mean by my earlier statements)

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1920
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Postby cron1834 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:14 pm

My $.02:

If you're rich enough, there's literally no downside. If you're willing to do legwork, there's not much upside. Overall I do think it's a Bear Patrol situation, tho perhaps if you're a truly unique candidate it might make sense.

Also, myspiritanimal is just the worst.

User avatar
Wildcard
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:55 pm

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Postby Wildcard » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:33 pm

cron1834 wrote:My $.02:

If you're rich enough, there's literally no downside.


You don't think that maybe a consultant could actually talk a candidate out of a more compelling and authentic application presentation into one more flat and traditional?

mgschiet
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Postby mgschiet » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:02 pm

Wildcard wrote:
cron1834 wrote:My $.02:

If you're rich enough, there's literally no downside.


You don't think that maybe a consultant could actually talk a candidate out of a more compelling and authentic application presentation into one more flat and traditional?

Most of the consultants I've seen have been adcoms at highly regarded schools. They know what comes across as compelling and what doesn't.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22842
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:26 pm

Wildcard wrote:
cron1834 wrote:My $.02:

If you're rich enough, there's literally no downside.


You don't think that maybe a consultant could actually talk a candidate out of a more compelling and authentic application presentation into one more flat and traditional?

I suspect what a lot of applicants think is "compelling and authentic" is really just nope nope nope nope nope.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Postby Clearly » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:17 pm

Wildcard wrote:
cron1834 wrote:My $.02:

If you're rich enough, there's literally no downside.


You don't think that maybe a consultant could actually talk a candidate out of a more compelling and authentic application presentation into one more flat and traditional?

No.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:51 pm

Wildcard wrote:
cron1834 wrote:My $.02:

If you're rich enough, there's literally no downside.


You don't think that maybe a consultant could actually talk a candidate out of a more compelling and authentic application presentation into one more flat and traditional?


Lol no

User avatar
Wildcard
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:55 pm

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Postby Wildcard » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:48 pm

Well then. :lol:

That's really kind of depressing, though.

TheatreofDreams1
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Postby TheatreofDreams1 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:19 am

I can't speak to a comparison of both services as I only used Anna Ivey, but can safely say their service helped me get into a T-13. I was below median on the LSAT, a 3rd time test taker, had a median GPA, and no unusual softs.

PM me if you want more details, but I would recommend Ivey Consulting. A few thousand dollars could mean a lot, when it comes to scholarships and getting into a better school.

lawman84
Posts: 3302
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Postby lawman84 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:41 pm

TheatreofDreams1 wrote:I can't speak to a comparison of both services as I only used Anna Ivey, but can safely say their service helped me get into a T-13. I was below median on the LSAT, a 3rd time test taker, had a median GPA, and no unusual softs.

PM me if you want more details, but I would recommend Ivey Consulting. A few thousand dollars could mean a lot, when it comes to scholarships and getting into a better school.


Okay but how far below the median were you on the LSAT?(and keep in mind that their median might have dropped a point or two with the new class) If you were right around the median on both LSAT and GPA, you're not talking about a long shot to get in. Not to say that you made the wrong decision. They might have given you the extra boost needed but you might also be a rareish case.

TheatreofDreams1
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Postby TheatreofDreams1 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:55 pm

lawman84 wrote:
TheatreofDreams1 wrote:I can't speak to a comparison of both services as I only used Anna Ivey, but can safely say their service helped me get into a T-13. I was below median on the LSAT, a 3rd time test taker, had a median GPA, and no unusual softs.

PM me if you want more details, but I would recommend Ivey Consulting. A few thousand dollars could mean a lot, when it comes to scholarships and getting into a better school.


Okay but how far below the median were you on the LSAT?(and keep in mind that their median might have dropped a point or two with the new class) If you were right around the median on both LSAT and GPA, you're not talking about a long shot to get in. Not to say that you made the wrong decision. They might have given you the extra boost needed but you might also be a rareish case.


Fair enough. I was not too far off the median for LSAT. Maybe a 1-2 points. GPA was right on. But I was a third time test taker FWIW.

I think their services definitely helped, and in retrospect I am happy that I spent the money. But had I not gotten in, I might have a slightly different view of this.

But IMO, the essay help was only $999, and I don't think that's too much of an investment to make, given that law school scholarships/rankings could mean a large difference down the road.

lawman84
Posts: 3302
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Postby lawman84 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:55 pm

TheatreofDreams1 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
TheatreofDreams1 wrote:I can't speak to a comparison of both services as I only used Anna Ivey, but can safely say their service helped me get into a T-13. I was below median on the LSAT, a 3rd time test taker, had a median GPA, and no unusual softs.

PM me if you want more details, but I would recommend Ivey Consulting. A few thousand dollars could mean a lot, when it comes to scholarships and getting into a better school.


Okay but how far below the median were you on the LSAT?(and keep in mind that their median might have dropped a point or two with the new class) If you were right around the median on both LSAT and GPA, you're not talking about a long shot to get in. Not to say that you made the wrong decision. They might have given you the extra boost needed but you might also be a rareish case.


Fair enough. I was not too far off the median for LSAT. Maybe a 1-2 points. GPA was right on. But I was a third time test taker FWIW.

I think their services definitely helped, and in retrospect I am happy that I spent the money. But had I not gotten in, I might have a slightly different view of this.

But IMO, the essay help was only $999, and I don't think that's too much of an investment to make, given that law school scholarships/rankings could mean a large difference down the road.


You seem excited about where you got in so I'd agree it was worth the money. Congrats!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests