Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Questions987654321

New

Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Post by Questions987654321 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:39 pm

I know almost everyone will say TLS is a better resource than either, but assuming I want to waste $5K does anyone - preferably someone who has actually used an admission consultant - have any feedback on Ann Levine, Anna Ivey or another admissions consultant?

Wildcard

New

Re: Ann Levine vs Anna Ivey

Post by Wildcard » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:10 pm

Does it really cost 5k?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:22 am

Spiveys the usual answer around here, most qualified people on staff there from what I can tell

Wouldn't pay 5k for anyone tho

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:26 am

5k for admissions advice? really?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:57 am

I'd pay 5k if I felt assured that person could help me outperform my numbers and/or gain at least 5k more scholarship than I would otherwise.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alexjinye

Bronze

Post by alexjinye » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:01 am

Spivey saves your mony. /thread

Questions987654321

New

Post by Questions987654321 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:16 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:I'd pay 5k if I felt assured that person could help me outperform my numbers and/or gain at least 5k more scholarship than I would otherwise.
That was my thinking. Thanks for the replies

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:11 am

Can't you just buy levines book and use tls for any questions and stuff?

I guess I could see how a consultant might be able to help a non-traditional applicant sharpen their application, but I'm skeptical of how much advantage they would confer a standard cookie-cutter applicant.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:21 am

using spivey is probably worth the money if you're clueless or don't have a strategy. i didn't use him but had a phone conversation with him and am confident in saying that the money you spend on him will probably nearly always be returned and then some re: scholarships.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:37 am

I mean yeah a consultant is most valuable for splitters/reverse splitters because your numbers can't predict too well. If you're below both medians, a consultant can't help you, and if you're above both medians, just don't put together an abysmal app and you should be okay.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:07 am

What do you expect a law school admissions consultant to do for you ?

myspiritanimal

New

Post by myspiritanimal » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:12 am

I worked with Ann this past cycle, and I’m so happy I did. She’s absolutely fantastic. And she helped me to create an application that provided me the perfect outcome.

The decision to hire a consultant, such as Ann, is a very personal one. You must conduct a cost-benefit analysis. Consider the following:

The value of a consultant depends on the type of applicant. The better the numbers, the lesser the value. But I really believe that mostly anyone, regardless of numbers, can gain from hiring a consultant. I say this because, while numbers matter, other factors, do as well, particularly at YS. These other factors are often better determinants of future star power in law or business than numbers alone. And because consultants help you craft those other factors, they may likely, in the end, positively impact your chances of admission.

The TLS obsession with numbers is, in some cases, a dangerous game. If I paid attention to much of the advice here, I wouldn’t have hired Ann and, I can say with much certainty, wouldn’t have gotten into the schools I did. It really, really mattered for me. Ann provided valuable insight into the often opaque admissions process and helped me craft a cohesive and compelling application. She made a real difference.

The admissions process is stressful. The ability to call Ann at any time to discuss any issue not only helped me understand and react to different events, but also really put my mind at ease. That alone perhaps made the decision to hire her worth it.

In the end, each candidate must individually compare the value and cost of hiring a consultant. I’m jazzed I hire Ann. Feel free to PM me for more details.

hokie6260

New

Post by hokie6260 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:18 am

myspiritanimal wrote:I worked with Ann this past cycle, and I’m so happy I did. She’s absolutely fantastic. And she helped me to create an application that provided me the perfect outcome.

The decision to hire a consultant, such as Ann, is a very personal one. You must conduct a cost-benefit analysis. Consider the following:

The value of a consultant depends on the type of applicant. The better the numbers, the lesser the value. But I really believe that mostly anyone, regardless of numbers, can gain from hiring a consultant. I say this because, while numbers matter, other factors, do as well, particularly at YS. These other factors are often better determinants of future star power in law or business than numbers alone. And because consultants help you craft those other factors, they may likely, in the end, positively impact your chances of admission.

The TLS obsession with numbers is, in some cases, a dangerous game. If I paid attention to much of the advice here, I wouldn’t have hired Ann and, I can say with much certainty, wouldn’t have gotten into the schools I did. It really, really mattered for me. Ann provided valuable insight into the often opaque admissions process and helped me craft a cohesive and compelling application. She made a real difference.

The admissions process is stressful. The ability to call Ann at any time to discuss any issue not only helped me understand and react to different events, but also really put my mind at ease. That alone perhaps made the decision to hire her worth it.

In the end, each candidate must individually compare the value and cost of hiring a consultant. I’m jazzed I hire Ann. Feel free to PM me for more details.
+1 I am working with Ann this cycle and have been completely happy with the time and effort she gives me. I am a non-traditional applicant for what its worth, but its been worth my money so far.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheodoreKGB

Bronze

Post by TheodoreKGB » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:18 am

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:23 am

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:29 am

Educational consultants offer a knowledgeable source with whom to speak during a stressful process. Some view this as a primary benefit, while others just want positive results.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:57 am

myspiritanimal wrote:I worked with Ann this past cycle, and I’m so happy I did. She’s absolutely fantastic. And she helped me to create an application that provided me the perfect outcome.

Nonsense. Assuming you're "real" (low post #s, just like the booster below you), you actually have no basis whatsoever to conclude that she made any difference in your admission to any particular school. The only way I'd believe you is if you could show a consistent pattern of "outperforming your numbers" in admissions to a variety of schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:08 pm

If you're a fully formed person with a point of view and good judgment, you don't need any of these guys. If not, maybe you should hire them.

I think Spivey is a cool dude. Not sure about the other two. But none of them are worth the money. Frankly, they're just parasites.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:15 pm

Skool wrote:If you're a fully formed person with a point of view and good judgment, you don't need any of these guys. If not, maybe you should hire them.

I think Spivey is a cool dude. Not sure about the other two. But none of them are worth the money. Frankly, they're just parasites.
They're "rainmakers" in the Clay Davis sense

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:25 pm

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:17 pm

I spoke to Dean Meeker (also has a thread on here) and bought about 2 hours of advice/guidance from him and found it all extremely helpful. I couldn't afford any of the packages (and didn't really think I needed them), but he was willing to work with me on a budget, bill hourly, was generous with his time, and helped with everything I needed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

myspiritanimal

New

Post by myspiritanimal » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:32 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:

Nonsense. Assuming you're "real" (low post #s, just like the booster below you), you actually have no basis whatsoever to conclude that she made any difference in your admission to any particular school. The only way I'd believe you is if you could show a consistent pattern of "outperforming your numbers" in admissions to a variety of schools.
Don't call something nonsense unless you know it to be nonsense. In this case, you don't.

I have low post numbers because I spend my time doing others things and, at times, take a look at this site. I previously applied and did relatively poorly. When I applied with Ann, nothing had changed from the prior year's application, and I did really well, across T6. Still nonsense?

myspiritanimal

New

Post by myspiritanimal » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:35 pm

Skool wrote:If you're a fully formed person with a point of view and good judgment, you don't need any of these guys. If not, maybe you should hire them.

This is a moronic post. There are many reasons to hire one of them that don't involve a person's lack of point of view or judgment. Another baseless (if you didn't use one, as I assume you didn't, how can you know they wouldn't have helped?) and harmful opinion.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:12 pm

I think if you got the $$$ to blow, spending a few thousand to get a better cycle seems logical. A majority of applicants (I assume) don't have such discretionary funds and anyways there is more than enough information on TLS/online in general. I'm kinda skeptical about how helpful these people actually are/what they can do for you

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:33 pm

K. I guess I'm dumb.

Again, if you know who you are, have a point of view, and have good judgment in how you communicate in a professional context, what good reason is there to hire these people? If you're a cohesive and compelling person, why can't you craft a cohesive and compelling application?

So you can pay someone to listen to your stressed out December worry-warting? ("That alone perhaps made the decision to hire her worth it"). Sounds like a bull shit luxury to me.

And admissions is not that fucking "opaque". Those guys are responsive to really clear incentives that have been discussed to death (see Campos, TLS, and the Internet, et al., passim, ad naseum).

EDIT:

I would say, hiring for negotiation purposes is kind of the only reason to hire these guys. Notice how clammy spivey has been on negotiation strategy lately. He says things like oh, you know, the admissions offices have been adapting to our published advice, so I don't want to show too much of my/my clients' hands publicly. I think that even Spivey must know that the negotiation game is really one of the only ways he's really adding value people can't easily access through other sources. I don't think it's just about keeping tricks up his sleeve for his paying clients; I think there's an element of incentivizing people to pay for his services, which is smart and appropriate on his part. I could be reading this wrong, but I doubt it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”