Vanderbilt worth 150k?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nickt92

Re: Vanderbilt worth 150k?

Postby nickt92 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:53 pm

Most importantly, I want to avoid being another struggling attorney.. I want to go wherever my chances for success are the greatest.

Traynor Brah

Postby Traynor Brah » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:56 pm

well richmond is a dumpster fire of a school with dogshit job prospects so I probably wouldn't go there

DasEggs

Postby DasEggs » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:12 pm

I normally don't hop aboard the retake train because there are so many factors at play but with your situation I have to agree with everyone else. +5 points and your entire future changes. I know absolute jack about Richmond other than its raw job data which is not great.

Waiting a year to setup the rest of your life is not wasted time. Any additional scholarship $ you get because of waiting that extra year is basically money you made. Additionally so many other doors can open if you pull off +7 or 8 on LSAT.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:18 pm

nickt92 wrote:Most importantly, I want to avoid being another struggling attorney.. I want to go wherever my chances for success are the greatest.

With that gpa, the sky is the limit if you retake. Next year you could be at UVA for way less than Vandy would cost. UVA with money is a very attainable given your gpa and residency. They shelled out a lot of money to high 160's/3.9's this past cycle.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:53 pm

I would recommend

Retaking

nickt92

Postby nickt92 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:26 am

By looking on Lawschoolnumbers, it appears vandy does not give out huge scholarships even with people near or above their median lsat. Full scholarships are extremely rare with most qualified applicants receiving 25-35k per year.. Do any Vandy students know if this is accurate?

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:31 am

nickt92 wrote:By looking on Lawschoolnumbers, it appears vandy does not give out huge scholarships even with people near or above their median lsat. Full scholarships are extremely rare with most qualified applicants receiving 25-35k per year.. Do any Vandy students know if this is accurate?

They seem to have a pretty formulaic model for giving scholarships. 110k seems to be the highest non-full ride award. ~4 people get full rides each class year.

nickt92

Postby nickt92 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:39 am

They seem to have a pretty formulaic model for giving scholarships. 110k seems to be the highest non-full ride award. ~4 people get full rides each class year.[/quote]

So if you want to go to vandy you almost always have to take on at least 75k in debt, regardless of how well your numbers stack up?

I wonder how they convince students with competitive numbers to attend.. I'm sure they receive better offers to others schools

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:49 am

nickt92 wrote:They seem to have a pretty formulaic model for giving scholarships. 110k seems to be the highest non-full ride award. ~4 people get full rides each class year.

So if you want to go to vandy you almost always have to take on at least 75k in debt, regardless of how well your numbers stack up?

I wonder how they convince students with competitive numbers to attend.. I'm sure they receive better offers to others schools[/quote]

Yeah 75k is probably the minimum for a lot of people. If you can get 110k at Vandy you probably got a full ride at WUSTL. But other than them, Vandy is pretty competitive with it's peers. Gtown is notoriously stingy and DC CoL is a lot higher than nashville. UT can be generous but they have a limit on out of state people.

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:04 am

nickt92 wrote:I'm from VA about an hour outside of Richmond. I wouldn't mind working in Richmond but don't know how big the market is there.. I've heard it's over saturated with lawyers. Would love to work and live in the south ideally Atlanta. But I'd go wherever the best job prospect is.

As far as what I want to do.. I'd like to make the most out of my investment so big law would be nice. But anything that pays reasonable is fine with me.

The Richmond legal market is large for the size of the metro area, but tiny compared to other secondary markets. I think the SA classes in Richmond end up being around 25 for the entire city, with probably half, or more, of that belonging to Hunton & Williams and McGuireWoods. You would probably need to be around the top 1/4 of your class to get either of those out of Vanderbilt. Not sure about Troutman and some of the others.

Edit: If your'e getting money from Vanderbilt I'm assuming the scholarships from William and Mary, U of R, and Washington and Lee are pretty big. If you really want to stay in the state a full-ride at any of those schools wouldn't be a terrible idea.

nickt92

Postby nickt92 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:21 am

Edit: If your'e getting money from Vanderbilt I'm assuming the scholarships from William and Mary, U of R, and Washington and Lee are pretty big. If you really want to stay in the state a full-ride at any of those schools wouldn't be a terrible idea.

So you're saying a full ride to Richmond is something I should take over Vandy? I got 18k per year to W+M and 30k per year to W+L..

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:24 am

Dude. Just work for a year and get a better LSAT score and go to Duke. This obviously matches your goals of practicing in the South. UVA is even easier to get into. If you get a 166 you're probably in. Put it this way: get six more questions right on your LSAT and your life changes much for the better.

Edit: UVA gave out full rides for people with your GPA and 168s. Get 8 more questions right and you could have a full ride to UVA. You'd be making a terrible mistake by going to Vandy or Richmond. That decision would haunt you until you die.

nickt92

Postby nickt92 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:29 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Dude. Just work for a year and get a better LSAT score and go to Duke. This obviously matches your goals of practicing in the South. UVA is even easier to get into. If you get a 166 you're probably in. Put it this way: get six more questions right on your LSAT and your life changes much for the better.

Edit: UVA gave out full rides for people with your GPA and 168s. Get 8 more questions right and you could have a full ride to UVA. You'd be making a terrible mistake by going to Vandy or Richmond. That decision would haunt you until you die.

Fair enough.. So if I do sit out and retake.. should I shoot for October and then retake again in December if necessary or just wait until December so I don't run the risk of having to take the test 3 times.

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:30 am

nickt92 wrote:

So you're saying a full ride to Richmond is something I should take over Vandy? I got 18k per year to W+M and 30k per year to W+L..

Depends on where you want to be. Obviously, you'll have better job opportunities out of Vanderbilt, but it's not a 100% lock that you're going to have big law or the legal career of your dreams. You could, but that's a risk for you to take. U of R is not going to get you a job in NYC, etc., but it might be worth it if it was 100% free.

Have you tried negotiating with William & Mary with the money you received from Washington & Lee and Vanderbilt? The only reason I hesitate on any of these is that any debt at Richmond is likely not acceptable, and you are going to have to finance your cost of living somehow. I also wouldn't take the debt you would accrue with those scholarships from either W&L or William and Mary. The folks I know from any of those schools in Richmond tend to be order of coif, law review, and graduated with honors. It can be tough to put yourself in a situation where it's top 10% or bust when you have any kind of debt.

Honestly, I think it's already been said in this thread, but I would work on the LSAT and try to go to UVA. As long as you have a good GPA UVA gives out a lot of money to folks with good LSAT scores and obviously places very well in Virginia.

nickt92

Postby nickt92 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:35 am

Honestly, I think it's already been said in this thread, but I would work on the LSAT and try to go to UVA. As long as you have a good GPA UVA gives out a lot of money to folks with good LSAT scores and obviously places very well in Virginia.

Ok thanks guys.. Its going to suck to sit out a year but I think its my best option. I appreciate all the input

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:58 am

nickt92 wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Dude. Just work for a year and get a better LSAT score and go to Duke. This obviously matches your goals of practicing in the South. UVA is even easier to get into. If you get a 166 you're probably in. Put it this way: get six more questions right on your LSAT and your life changes much for the better.

Fair enough.. So if I do sit out and retake.. should I shoot for October and then retake again in December if necessary or just wait until December so I don't run the risk of having to take the test 3 times.

Sry I was being dire, but really, you're making a great decision sitting out. There is no risk in taking three times, so definitely take in October. It's essential to take in October, really. If you don't get the score you want, retake again in December. I took the LSAT 4 times and received 4 t14 full rides. Schools don't care at all about retakes.

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:08 pm

You're making the right call.

Yea All Right

Postby Yea All Right » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:10 pm

nickt92 wrote:Fair enough.. So if I do sit out and retake.. should I shoot for October and then retake again in December if necessary or just wait until December so I don't run the risk of having to take the test 3 times.

Go for October and do as best as you can, retake in December if necessary. It's good to have the December LSAT available as a back-up.

marowl0

Postby marowl0 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:12 pm

You really do need to think about retaking the test. I have a 3.92/168 (I thought about retaking but don't think the results would be better) and got accepted to 100% of my applied to schools including Penn, Michigan, and Vandy with schollys at all of them. I know the test sucks, and I did take it twice (cancelled the first one on the test form I almost cried), the studying is mind numbing and the prospect of taking another year off is hard to even consider. Trust me I know. I was 28 when I decided to cancel that test and now will be starting school at 29. However, you have to weigh those momentary inconveniences against the rest of your life. Does Richmond really give you the best chance, or at least an acceptable chance, to accomplish your goals? Can you eventually get a job from Richmond? Sure why not. However, do you want to spend 3 years, even if they are free, for the privilege of doing a job that you don't love? If you do officially sit it out and take it again I think that your making the right decision and you should take the test that gives you the proper amount of time to study. If you honestly think that you can master the material by October go for it, if not wait till December.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”