Splitter

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NigeranOU
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:34 am

Splitter

Postby NigeranOU » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:37 am

I live in Oklahoma my parents are Nigerian immigrants I am a splitter 166 LSAT and a 3.1 GPA, my early science and math classes really messed me up but I have a straight 4.0 with my major classes. What T-14's do I have chance of getting into? I'm leaning towards early decision at Northwestern because i really need the money I am 1 of 4 children and 3 of us are in college its such a burden! PLEASE HELP.

User avatar
runinthefront
Posts: 1105
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Splitter

Postby runinthefront » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:07 am

NigeranOU wrote:I live in Oklahoma my parents are Nigerian immigrants I am a splitter 166 LSAT and a 3.1 GPA, my early science and math classes really messed me up but I have a straight 4.0 with my major classes. What T-14's do I have chance of getting into? I'm leaning towards early decision at Northwestern because i really need the money I am 1 of 4 children and 3 of us are in college its such a burden! PLEASE HELP.

Image

NigeranOU
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:34 am

Re: Splitter

Postby NigeranOU » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:14 am

Wow. So theres a lot of hope for me. That made my night. In addition to my first post, my parents put me through hell growing up, specfically in high school I would be afraid to go home, had DHS intervene etc. I got the hell out and went to school out of state came back so that adjustment should be factored in as well

NigeranOU
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:34 am

Re: Splitter

Postby NigeranOU » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:17 am

I'm really working on a killer personal statement talking about how my pain from my parents fueled my desire to thrive within education. How does that help my prospects?

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11952
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Splitter

Postby Rigo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:10 am

NigeranOU wrote:I'm really working on a killer personal statement talking about how my pain from my parents fueled my desire to thrive within education. How does that help my prospects?

We can't quantify this. Make sure you write it tactfully though.

NigeranOU
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:34 am

Re: Splitter

Postby NigeranOU » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:44 pm

Rigo wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:I'm really working on a killer personal statement talking about how my pain from my parents fueled my desire to thrive within education. How does that help my prospects?

We can't quantify this. Make sure you write it tactfully though.


define tactfully.

User avatar
stego
Posts: 2872
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 am

Re: Splitter

Postby stego » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:10 pm

NigeranOU wrote:
Rigo wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:I'm really working on a killer personal statement talking about how my pain from my parents fueled my desire to thrive within education. How does that help my prospects?

We can't quantify this. Make sure you write it tactfully though.


define tactfully.


Hello fellow Okie. You should retake the LSAT. You have some good options with a 166, but should have more options, and more scholarship money at the schools you would already be getting into, with a higher LSAT score.

Don't write the personal statement in a way that sounds angry or resentful (even if you are). Describe the difficulties and obstacles as neutrally as possible and focus on the positive of how you overcame them.

NigeranOU
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:34 am

Re: Splitter

Postby NigeranOU » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:27 pm

stasg wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:
Rigo wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:I'm really working on a killer personal statement talking about how my pain from my parents fueled my desire to thrive within education. How does that help my prospects?

We can't quantify this. Make sure you write it tactfully though.


define tactfully.


Hello fellow Okie. You should retake the LSAT. You have some good options with a 166, but should have more options, and more scholarship money at the schools you would already be getting into, with a higher LSAT score.

Don't write the personal statement in a way that sounds angry or resentful (even if you are). Describe the difficulties and obstacles as neutrally as possible and focus on the positive of how you overcame them.


what are my options in your opinion?? no southern states (uber liberal) then dean of ou law heard me speak in a town hall meeting when all of that sae stuff was going down, and how I've personally experienced racism. He told me my story was incredibly powerful and i made his wife cry so I'm pretty much in there but i just don't wanna live in the south!!! I need a lot of money though. How would I do applying to UCLA and USC??

User avatar
stego
Posts: 2872
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 am

Re: Splitter

Postby stego » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:49 pm

NigeranOU wrote:what are my options in your opinion?? no southern states (uber liberal) then dean of ou law heard me speak in a town hall meeting when all of that sae stuff was going down, and how I've personally experienced racism. He told me my story was incredibly powerful and i made his wife cry so I'm pretty much in there but i just don't wanna live in the south!!! I need a lot of money though. How would I do applying to UCLA and USC??


Your GPA might ding you at some of the T14 schools but I would definitely apply to at least the lower T14.

You would probably get into UCLA and USC. Definitely in at OU even if you didn't make the dean's wife cry. I think with the regional schools though you need to think long and hard about what job you want and where you want to practice. I don't know California very well so someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think California's legal market is kind of hard to break into, especially without ties to California.

I really need to reiterate that you should retake the LSAT in October for more scholarship money.

NigeranOU
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:34 am

Re: Splitter

Postby NigeranOU » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:54 pm

stasg wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:what are my options in your opinion?? no southern states (uber liberal) then dean of ou law heard me speak in a town hall meeting when all of that sae stuff was going down, and how I've personally experienced racism. He told me my story was incredibly powerful and i made his wife cry so I'm pretty much in there but i just don't wanna live in the south!!! I need a lot of money though. How would I do applying to UCLA and USC??


Your GPA might ding you at some of the T14 schools but I would definitely apply to at least the lower T14.

You would probably get into UCLA and USC. Definitely in at OU even if you didn't make the dean's wife cry. I think with the regional schools though you need to think long and hard about what job you want and where you want to practice. I don't know California very well so someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think California's legal market is kind of hard to break into, especially without ties to California.

I really need to reiterate that you should retake the LSAT in October for more scholarship money.


Yeah I'm going to retake. I'm not optimistic though because they say most people only hit 1 o 2 points higher. And I'm sooooo burned out i killed myself for that 166 but I'm still going full throttle once july starts for another 3 months. I really want the big law job I wanna work long hours in the city writing a lot etc. The job prospects are heard are pretty good for usc and ucla but i guess i'll have to do more research. I'm also looking into the University of Washington. I honestly might early decision there. What do you think??

NigeranOU
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:34 am

Re: Splitter

Postby NigeranOU » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:01 pm

NigeranOU wrote:
stasg wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:what are my options in your opinion?? no southern states (uber liberal) then dean of ou law heard me speak in a town hall meeting when all of that sae stuff was going down, and how I've personally experienced racism. He told me my story was incredibly powerful and i made his wife cry so I'm pretty much in there but i just don't wanna live in the south!!! I need a lot of money though. How would I do applying to UCLA and USC??


Your GPA might ding you at some of the T14 schools but I would definitely apply to at least the lower T14.

You would probably get into UCLA and USC. Definitely in at OU even if you didn't make the dean's wife cry. I think with the regional schools though you need to think long and hard about what job you want and where you want to practice. I don't know California very well so someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think California's legal market is kind of hard to break into, especially without ties to California.

I really need to reiterate that you should retake the LSAT in October for more scholarship money.


Yeah I'm going to retake. I'm not optimistic though because they say most people only hit 1 o 2 points higher. And I'm sooooo burned out i killed myself for that 166 but I'm still going full throttle once july starts for another 3 months. I really want the big law job I wanna work long hours in the city writing a lot etc. The job prospects are heard are pretty good for usc and ucla but i guess i'll have to do more research. I'm also looking into the University of Washington. I honestly might early decision there. What do you think??


keep in mind I'm a nigerian living in conservative oklahoma, my parents are the american dream,immigrants who came to this country with nothing even though they made life hard for me in the beginning with their parenting. a lot of cultural barriers. but putting 3 kids through college one in nursing school, one on the heels of law school and one aspiring for med school. thats very f****** rare lol

User avatar
stego
Posts: 2872
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 am

Re: Splitter

Postby stego » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:10 pm

NigeranOU wrote:Yeah I'm going to retake. I'm not optimistic though because they say most people only hit 1 o 2 points higher. And I'm sooooo burned out i killed myself for that 166 but I'm still going full throttle once july starts for another 3 months. I really want the big law job I wanna work long hours in the city writing a lot etc. The job prospects are heard are pretty good for usc and ucla but i guess i'll have to do more research. I'm also looking into the University of Washington. I honestly might early decision there. What do you think??


I don't recommend EDing at any school unless they offer a full-ride ED scholarship (Northwestern, BU, and George Washington are the three I know of that offer this). Applying ED to any other school might increase your odds of admission slightly, but it also kills your ability to negotiate for better scholarships. As an AA you already get a boost in admissions and a 3.1/166 will get you admitted at a lot of places.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11952
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Splitter

Postby Rigo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:13 pm

stasg wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:
Rigo wrote:
NigeranOU wrote:I'm really working on a killer personal statement talking about how my pain from my parents fueled my desire to thrive within education. How does that help my prospects?

We can't quantify this. Make sure you write it tactfully though.

define tactfully.

Don't write the personal statement in a way that sounds angry or resentful (even if you are). Describe the difficulties and obstacles as neutrally as possible and focus on the positive of how you overcame them.

Precisely.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AriGold33, bleakchimera2, chili_davis and 7 guests