Post removed. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
basedvulpes

Gold

Post removed.

Post by basedvulpes » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:18 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Re: Value in admissions books

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:59 pm

Don't do this. Theres more than enough free info on this forum, spivey, etc.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:09 pm

Sure these books are worth reading. Be prepared for experienced advice from a different perspective.

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Sure these books are worth reading. Be prepared for experienced advice from a different perspective.
Really? There isn't much else to be said other than, "Have a 3.8+ GPA, Get a 170+ LSAT, run spellcheck on your narrative personal statement"

ku546

Bronze

Post by ku546 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:40 pm

I got used copies for around $10 each. I thought it was worth it for the resume samples alone. Law school is worth a pretty penny. Might as well spend a couple bucks for some additional insight.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:13 pm

Might be helpful for resume/personal statement stuff

But really nothing you can't get for free

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:42 pm

i recommend the following book: these fora

fisheatbananas

Bronze

Post by fisheatbananas » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:55 pm

0L here and I've read a few. They're helpful because they give you a warning for what's coming up, and if nothing else reading them makes you feel like you're doing something to prepare :shock:

Pumpkin-Duke of Pie

Silver

Post by Pumpkin-Duke of Pie » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:55 am

chimp wrote:i recommend the following book: these fora
tcr. Applying is not that complicated, especially given the down turn in apps. As stated, have a 3.6+ (3.8 seems a bit extreme unless you're shooting for HYS) and a 170+, and write a coherent and edited personal statement. Any other information can be gleaned from this forum for free.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:03 am

They're worthless.

The guy who said gpa/lsat was right. That's it when it comes to admissions.

As far as where to go, speak to recent graduates (both successful ones, and not).

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:06 am

I read some of that shit. I guess they were is marginally helpful in crafting a personal statement (but not has helpful as the criticism on here -- shout out to canadianwolf, actually). TLS is a little cynical when the posters say GPA and LSAT are the only things that matter. The schools let some people in below (at least one of) their medians, and it's helpful to understand what things those are.

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:33 am

Get law school confidential. It covers a lot of admissions stuff, but also goes all the way through school.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

basedvulpes

Gold

Post removed.

Post by basedvulpes » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:15 am

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:26 am

basedvulpes wrote: This makes a lot of sense to me. I understand that my GPA and LSAT will carry me at the target and safety schools I apply to, but there's got to be something that helps people applying below median to reach schools.

Does anyone have an opinion or firsthand experience on whether personal statements/resumes/LoRs also have an influence on scholarship offers from schools where your numbers are at median or above?
Maybe I'm just a cynic (I'm certainly more of one after finishing LS) but I really think it's all about the LSAT/GPA.

myspiritanimal

New

Post by myspiritanimal » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:54 am

minnbills wrote:
basedvulpes wrote: This makes a lot of sense to me. I understand that my GPA and LSAT will carry me at the target and safety schools I apply to, but there's got to be something that helps people applying below median to reach schools.

Does anyone have an opinion or firsthand experience on whether personal statements/resumes/LoRs also have an influence on scholarship offers from schools where your numbers are at median or above?
Maybe I'm just a cynic (I'm certainly more of one after finishing LS) but I really think it's all about the LSAT/GPA.
This is absolutely not true. LSAT and GPA are really important, but other factors play a role as well. Many folks outperform their scores (I certainly did). Why? Because scores are one of many elements in the admissions process, particularly at the best schools.

Don't be fooled into thinking that scores are the only thing that matter. Admissions officers need not only worry about rankings, but also job outcomes. So, high scores are important, but so is the potential to be a good lawyer (or whatever you choose to be), which is often foretold by other factors (experiences, as read in PS/DS, etc.).

Feel free to send a me a note with questions.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:03 pm

What were your numbers and what school did you go to?

My school dropped the LSAT requirement for certain students with above-median GPAs (this is a T20, btw) and also lets in about 50 transfers a year (for whom the school does not need to report LSAT/GPA numbers).

EDIT: It's also worth noting of the 15 schools I applied to, I correctly predicted the outcomes at all 15. I even correctly guessed the scholarships for about 10.

fisheatbananas

Bronze

Post by fisheatbananas » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:09 pm

fisheatbananas wrote:0L here and I've read a few. They're helpful because they give you a warning for what's coming up, and if nothing else reading them makes you feel like you're doing something to prepare :shock:
I just realized OP meant admissions books for getting into law school, not to prepare for 1L. So my comment seems a bit out of context. I didn't read any admissions books before or during the application process, and in retrospect I don't think it would have helped

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”