Waitlists and Health Issues. Advice?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vicksburg91

Waitlists and Health Issues. Advice?

Postby vicksburg91 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:46 pm

Hey guys,
So I have a rather unique issue with my law school application process. First off I was waitlisted at nearly all of my top choices- Penn State, St Louis, Case Western. I was accepted at Widener and wouldn't mind going but Id rather one of other- and higher ranked- choices.
My issue is this. My senior year was insane with health issues and sent me to the ER about 18 times. I took the LSAT with Anemia and Bronchitis and scored a much lower grade than hoped. Then I had to drop a required general-ed because I was hospitalized with kidney issues. Widener was ok with me taking it over the summer but I was just informed by my doctors that I tested positive by bloodwork for having a kind of tumor and have to go for a three day radiological study to confirm and locate. This might screw up my summer class and Im concerned about starting 1L with health issues and treatment hanging over me.
One option seems to be to take the class next semester along with some classes that could help me with my desired dual degree (public health). This could boost my GPA (3.5) more and give me a chance to retake the LSAT in better physical shape. I had to take two semesters off in the past because of unrelated health issues and transferred schools so this was technically my fifth year of school. Would taking this option destroy my chances of getting into law school because I would have been an undergrad for a rather long time?
I do have some decent extra curriculars for my app. I wrote and self published a book that was carried by Barnes and Noble and many bookstores. Gave numerous talks to Civil War roundtables and groups. Was published in a peer reviewed historical journal for an article about the Civil War. Had several state representative level internships and an internship for the PA GOP during the Romney campaign.
I know my story is pretty crazy and unfortunate but Im kinda stressed about what my best option would be.

PoopNpants

Re: Waitlists and Health Issues. Advice?

Postby PoopNpants » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:53 pm

Am I correct in assuming you already graduated with your bachelors?

vicksburg91

Postby vicksburg91 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:58 pm

The issue is that I will graduate with my bachelors once I complete this summer class. Which seems to be thrown into question because of this issue. So, no I have not graduated with my bachelors. My graduation date was pushed back to this summer.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:47 pm

The length of time it takes to get your degree will not matter to law schools. What you get on the LSAT (and your GPA) matter very much to law schools. Staying in school longer to take more classes and study more for the LSAT, to raise both those things, will be much much more helpful than staying in school longer will hurt (which is really not at all), depending on how much it will cost you to stay in school longer.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:37 pm

OP: Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Stay strong.

To answer your question, remaining in undergraduate school for a longer period of time will not hurt your chances for admission to law school.

It may be of interest for you to know that William Mitchell law school is just launching an ABA approved internet law degree. Early information suggests that only a week ,or a bit longer, per semester is required on campus. This flexibility may help with your treatment.

vicksburg91

Postby vicksburg91 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:43 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely staying strong. I'll look into the William Mitchell program. Im considering simply remaining in undergrad for another semester to complete those classes. This will hopefully give me a chance to boost my GPA a little more and take the LSAT again and possibly get into the schools that waitlisted me. The diagnosis was a bit of a shock but it seems very treatable so hopefully I'll be feeling more up to par and not have the stress of illness related uncertainty hanging over my head when I start law school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”