Chances at HYS and full rides such at lower t-14 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gnomgnomuch

Silver

Chances at HYS and full rides such at lower t-14

Post by gnomgnomuch » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:06 pm

Hey All,

I've been a member of TLS for a while. I just recently graduated college and my LSAC GPA will be a 3.77. I have a huge upward grade trend. 3.3 my freshman year, roughly a 3.95 for the 3 years after that. Graduated with a Political Science major and business writing and corp comm minors. I'm heading to get my masters in public policy in September. My plan is as follows: get my MPP, work for a few years and then apply to law school.

In terms of work experience and extra curricular: Staff writer for student newspaper, USG - co-founder and V.P of the arts committee, Model United Nations, E-board of writers society. Worked as a manager/supervisor at a nonprofit for the past two years (been with them since I was 14 years old). Teaching Assistant for a capstone level class in communications on leadership for a year. Two legal internships at NYLAG, policy research internship with a non profit focused on NYS/City politics, and an internship with an education policy think tank conducting comparative education policy research. (This is just for undergrad, I'm planning on getting an internship or two in London and applying for the critical language scholarship - I'm a fluent Russian speaker, though that's obviously not guaranteed.)

Will an MPP from a top university (I'm doing mine in London, at the University College London, or the London School of Economics (though that masters would be in either comparative politics or political economics)) and a few years of work experience, coupled with my GPA and a 170+ LSAT (highest LSAT test so far has been a 168, but I'm not going to take the test until I'm hitting mid 170's consistently) get me into HYS or a named scholarship. I'm taking out about 45k for my MPP, and I don't want to take out more than another 100 for law school. (No debt from undergrad thankfully.)

Your thoughts would be really appreciated!

Pneumonia

Gold

Re: Chances at HYS and full rides such at lower t-14

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:26 pm

To me there is nothing here that indicates you'll be offered anything outside of the range that mylsn.info predicts.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:32 pm

You don't have a chance to gain admission to HYS without an LSAT score.

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:34 pm

Why are you getting an MPP if you want to go to law school? What is it you actually want to do?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:38 pm

Most important will be a high LSAT score, your strong GPA & then solid work experience. A masters from LSE should be recognized & respected everywhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:40 pm

gnomgnomuch wrote:Hey All,

I've been a member of TLS for a while. I just recently graduated college and my LSAC GPA will be a 3.77. I have a huge upward grade trend. 3.3 my freshman year, roughly a 3.95 for the 3 years after that. Graduated with a Political Science major and business writing and corp comm minors. I'm heading to get my masters in public policy in September. My plan is as follows: get my MPP, work for a few years and then apply to law school.

In terms of work experience and extra curricular: Staff writer for student newspaper, USG - co-founder and V.P of the arts committee, Model United Nations, E-board of writers society. Worked as a manager/supervisor at a nonprofit for the past two years (been with them since I was 14 years old). Teaching Assistant for a capstone level class in communications on leadership for a year. Two legal internships at NYLAG, policy research internship with a non profit focused on NYS/City politics, and an internship with an education policy think tank conducting comparative education policy research. (This is just for undergrad, I'm planning on getting an internship or two in London and applying for the critical language scholarship - I'm a fluent Russian speaker, though that's obviously not guaranteed.)

Will an MPP from a top university (I'm doing mine in London, at the University College London, or the London School of Economics (though that masters would be in either comparative politics or political economics)) and a few years of work experience, coupled with my GPA and a 170+ LSAT (highest LSAT test so far has been a 168, but I'm not going to take the test until I'm hitting mid 170's consistently) get me into HYS or a named scholarship. I'm taking out about 45k for my MPP, and I don't want to take out more than another 100 for law school. (No debt from undergrad thankfully.)

Your thoughts would be really appreciated!
More likely that you will get into Harvard than get a named scholarship, but the likelihood of either is not great. Note regarding practice tests: it seems to be true that most people score at least 3-4 points lower on the real test than they do on their practice test average.

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:45 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:Why are you getting an MPP if you want to go to law school? What is it you actually want to do?
OP may be participating in a contest to see who can rack up the most debt. I'd be happy to help OP out if he would just provide me with credit card and billing info.

downbeat14

Silver

Post by downbeat14 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:06 pm

Last edited by downbeat14 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:07 pm

Pneumonia wrote:To me there is nothing here that indicates you'll be offered anything outside of the range that mylsn.info predicts.
This.

MPP is an average soft, you could get the same result by volunteering somewhere and saving 45k

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”