Extreme Splitter Crossroad Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gnomgnomuch

Silver

Re: Extreme Splitter Crossroad

Post by gnomgnomuch » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:41 am

While I understand all too well the lure of a childhood dream, I think going to law school in your situation would be absolutely asinine.

Here are your two scenarios: Get a free masters and continue working at the forefront of your current career.
: Pay a whole lot of money for a degree that you'd be hard pressed to actually use in your career as a lawyer, because you'd be going to a mediocre school and would most likely not find a job that would pay off the debt you'd be taking on.

Potentially, you can ask your company whether they'd be willing to shell out the money for you to get a JD, but I highly doubt it.

I'd recommend sticking with your current field. You've got plenty of career growth and a free masters degree out of it. Plus, you're not giving up three years salary + the debt for law school.

dnptan

Bronze

Post by dnptan » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:47 pm

Clemenceau wrote:
ihenry wrote:
dnptan wrote:Or take the patent bar and become a patent agent. You don't need law school - it's not going to be worth it with that GPA sadly. But as a patent agent you can do all sorts of things. Your degree will qualify you for taking the bar.
Wait let me get this clear -- you don't need a JD degree to become a patent attorney (provided you pass the patent bar exam)?

I'm a Chinese student studying in Singapore for an honors degree in computer science. Our program is (thankfully) one of the few ABET accredited programs in Asia. I'm planning to attend a US law school in anticipation of becoming a patent attorney. Is that necessary in the light of this? With virtually no ties in the US can I just take my Singapore degree, pass the bar exam and find a decent patent job at a US law firm?

Sorry if the questions look naive. Just exploring my options in this field...
He was saying that OPs degree qualifies him for the patent bar, to become a patent agent, not a patent attorney. The wording was a little confusing. You will certainly still need to go to law school to work as an attorney in a US law firm.
Sorry, just to clarify:

A Patent agent is someone who has passed the patent bar without a JD
A Patent attorney is someone who has passed the patent bar with a JD

Can the OP take the patent bar? Presumably yes (assuming he is a US citizen) Can you take the patent bar? It's a bit more complicated.

To take the patent bar you need two things:

1) either (A) have a USPTO-recognized degree or (B1) have taken enough USPTO-required courses/experience.
2) either (A) a U.S. Citizen/Permanent resident or (B) Have a job dealing with patents

In your case you would satisfy 1.A. but would need a job in the US recognized by the USPTO as dealing with patents to satisfy 2.B.

For more info: http://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/OED_GRB.pdf
Note: 44 page document

lplaw

New

Post by lplaw » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:55 am

Hey guys,

I made this post a while back and felt the need to update. So I took the lsat in October and scored a 167. A little lower than I wanted but still around the range i was expecting. Not really sure what my next step is but I may try again and take the lsat next June and ponder about my best decision.

Still don't know if law school is worth it given my situation, but anyone think I have a chance at my target schools? Chance at George Washington University?

ihenry

Silver

Post by ihenry » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:24 am

Lol this thread has my earliest postings too.

From my increased understanding in this field, the IP market in biochemistry industry usually demands higher degree and/or substantial work experience. While you do have a chance for schools like GWU, it may not be a lock and it might be to your best interest to grab a M.S. or PhD or get/continue with your job first.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”