Should I take more language classes or law related courses?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jessica293

Should I take more language classes or law related courses?

Postby jessica293 » Sat May 30, 2015 12:43 am

I'm majoring in Mechanical Engineering, and considering going to law school. I have some area to take extra classes, and was just wondering if 'law related courses' or French classes (possibly double major) would look better to law schools? I'm going to be taking advanced writing sometime, and am taking an intro sociology class now. Does anyone have any opinion on this?

Thanks!

malleus discentium

Re: Should I take more language classes or law related courses?

Postby malleus discentium » Sat May 30, 2015 12:52 am

Schools won't care; take whatever you will get a higher grade in if you're going to take it based on going to law school. Between the two, take the French courses as more useful. Law-related courses will matter 0.00% to you in law school if you go.

Philafaler

Postby Philafaler » Sat May 30, 2015 1:18 am

Definitely take French. It's way more interesting for you and for everyone who will talk to you thereafter--including admissions offices. (Advice from a 0l)

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Sat May 30, 2015 1:32 am

Biomed Eng here. Let me tell you as much as I've loved taking grad level eng classes, I've paid the price for getting B+s instead of As. I wished I took more easy A classes like history 101 or classics 101 as electives. Take easy A classes if you want to go to law school. Any class that you can get an A in and still have time to get As in your core eng classes are highly recommended.

I know it's not what you want to hear - it wasn't what I wanted to hear for sure. But there is wisdom in it. Good luck.
Last edited by dnptan on Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat May 30, 2015 1:41 am

I don't know what a law related class is but IMO just take what you find interesting and/or what would be actually useful (and ideally something that is easy to get an A in)

Weaselfish

Postby Weaselfish » Sat May 30, 2015 1:46 pm

Because no one has mentioned it yet, I would suggest taking a philosophy course or two (or more, because I dig that shit). The rigor of philosophy courses varies a lot, so they may or may not be an easy 'A'. If you're interested at all in the subject, however, they provide a great opportunity to use your analytical reasoning abilities and practice communicating complex ideas in concise, written language.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat May 30, 2015 1:48 pm

Language courses teach a tangible, useful skill, almost without exception. Can't say the same for a lot of undergraduate law classes.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”