NU ED Numbers Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
candidlatke

Bronze

NU ED Numbers

Post by candidlatke » Fri May 29, 2015 2:50 am

I was wondering if anyone had numbers on NU ED vs NU RD

Generally speaking, it seems that NU is known for being on the lower spectrum of the T-14's and being relatively easier to break into.

However, if ED there yields an automatic full-ride, wouldn't NU make ED more selective than RD?

If so, is there any merit to applying to NU ED unless you're more than competitive for RD?

Cobretti

Gold

Re: NU ED Numbers

Post by Cobretti » Fri May 29, 2015 3:19 pm

yes its harder to get, and some people speculate that applying ED with numbers that aren't very competitive for ED may still help show your interest in the school when you eventually get rolled into the RD pile. any boost is purely speculative though.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Fri May 29, 2015 3:20 pm

If you do not get accepted ED you just get transferred to the RD pool, but with what is basically an amazing Why Northwestern on your file.

I think unless you are just barely going to get in via RD it is almost always worth EDing Northwestern if you would be happy with it.

Anyone with numbers remotely competitive for it have no reason to ED anywhere else (since none of its peers have a similar full scholarship thing) and the worst case scenario is that it shows your interest in attending.

Disclaimer that I do not have that much familiarity with NU

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri May 29, 2015 3:56 pm

I think it's best if you're on the fringe for big money at other schools like maybe a 173/3.5 or something and you're gunning for big money

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri May 29, 2015 4:01 pm

what are your numbers

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Fri May 29, 2015 4:14 pm

I was curious about this but I haven't been able to find any relevant data online, but I was wondering if a URM splitter (specifically AA) would have a good shot at getting ED at Northwestern. Numbers currently 3.1 167 but re-taking in Oct. hoping to go up at least 3 points

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Fri May 29, 2015 4:24 pm

PoopNpants wrote:I was curious about this but I haven't been able to find any relevant data online, but I was wondering if a URM splitter (specifically AA) would have a good shot at getting ED at Northwestern. Numbers currently 3.1 167 but re-taking in Oct. hoping to go up at least 3 points
really hard to predict AA URM, but the downside is really low so if you want to go for it there's no reason not to.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Fri May 29, 2015 4:54 pm

Yeah I agree, I'll give it a shot hopefully it goes well. Thanks for the info and good luck to the OP

tskela

Bronze

Post by tskela » Fri May 29, 2015 4:57 pm

Wasn't there a blog post a few weeks ago that said ED applicants received something like a 600% boost in admissions?

Found it: http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot. ... ition.html

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri May 29, 2015 6:38 pm

Cobretti wrote:really hard to predict AA URM, but the downside is really low so if you want to go for it there's no reason not to.
+1. NU is one of the only schools where you get an ED boost and an economic advantage for doing it. Worst case scenario is you get in with massive money or you get rolled into RD with a nice little boost on your file.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Fri May 29, 2015 6:53 pm

KMart wrote:
Cobretti wrote:really hard to predict AA URM, but the downside is really low so if you want to go for it there's no reason not to.
+1. NU is one of the only schools where you get an ED boost and an economic advantage for doing it. Worst case scenario is you get in with massive money or you get rolled into RD with a nice little boost on your file.
Yeah I know. I'm pretty debt adverse so I'd def be looking into this option and maybe GWU too since they have a similar attached scholarship

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sun May 31, 2015 8:59 pm

PoopNpants wrote:
KMart wrote:
Yeah I know. I'm pretty debt adverse so I'd def be looking into this option and maybe GWU too since they have a similar attached scholarship
Best of luck! Ultimately killing the LSAT is your best bet. A 180 will get you money without the ED boost.

norkanite

New

Post by norkanite » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:42 pm

Last edited by norkanite on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:53 pm

I'm an NU ED. I had a 170 and no gpa (hippie UG), so take it as median gpa for whichever school you're considering (except for berkeley.) With those numbers I was looking at no scholarship from UVA as my best offer. I reapplied with same numbers and went for NU ED. Basically, if you're in that not so sweet spot where you are getting no/low scholly offers from higher ranked schools (say, 168-171 with median or lower GPA) NU ED is the best deal on the market.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”