law school essays, how many?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jayashae

law school essays, how many?

Postby jayashae » Tue May 26, 2015 10:57 pm

I'm still a little confused as I head into my app cycle. Currently prepping for the October LSAT.

I kind of slowly wrote a personal statement, but I'm a little confused on how many essays usually there are per school. Is it just the personal statement usually or are there like supplemental questions for each university? and how important is it to write them if they're optional

Auxilio

Re: law school essays, how many?

Postby Auxilio » Tue May 26, 2015 11:30 pm

jayashae wrote:I'm still a little confused as I head into my app cycle. Currently prepping for the October LSAT.

I kind of slowly wrote a personal statement, but I'm a little confused on how many essays usually there are per school. Is it just the personal statement usually or are there like supplemental questions for each university? and how important is it to write them if they're optional

Personal statement, and then (if they apply to you) Diversity Statement (only if really necessary), GPA/LSAT Addendum, C&F Addendum. That is all every school requires.

Yale has this odd 250 word thing which you can find out by yourself if you score amazing on LSAT.

For a lot of schools (Although I think it is mostly a lower T14 thing, and tapers off after that but not sure) you will want to submit some version of a Why X (X being the school). Some schools will give you specific topics for this. Main candidates for this are Penn, UVA, Duke, Michigan, Georgetown, Cornell, Northwestern.

jayashae

Postby jayashae » Tue May 26, 2015 11:48 pm

Thank you very much for your response!

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Wed May 27, 2015 6:03 pm

Yeah if you don't have any issues to address or are URM then just stick to one PS for all schools and some short (1 page double spaced) why xs for the schools auxilio mentioned

Calbears123

Postby Calbears123 » Wed May 27, 2015 7:14 pm

For Notre Dame their Why Notre Dame essay seemed almost necessary if you didn't have at least one score above their 75th.

Dmitry

Postby Dmitry » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:56 am

SPAM

FirmBiz

Postby FirmBiz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:21 pm

jayashae wrote:I'm still a little confused as I head into my app cycle. Currently prepping for the October LSAT.

A few schools require an optional statement of interest

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:53 pm

read instructions.

after that, write a "why x" to each university feigning interest. just make sure it doesn't read as if it is feigned.

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:06 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:read instructions.

after that, write a "why x" to each university feigning interest. just make sure it doesn't read as if it is feigned.

+1

I would be generous with the why x essays. Penn uva and duke at a bare minimum, but honestly writing why xs from ccn down is probably a good call if you have the stomach for it. A lot of schools were heavy with the waitlists this year. I got WL from a few lower t14s that are typically generous with money and it was frustrating bc it gave me fewer chips to negotiate with. Couldve been my numbers that caused the WL, but I still feel like a why x would've helped.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”