Waitlist dilemma

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crystalchiyu
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:46 am

Waitlist dilemma

Postby crystalchiyu » Tue May 26, 2015 4:42 am

JD applicant for class of 2018 seeking advice and help on managing the waitlist dilemma:
1. secured the seat of Northwestern by end of April but got NYU's admission from the waitlist a few days ago: shall I decline NW's offer (with 60K scholarship) and take NYU's (still waiting for their review feedback to my financial aid application)? NYU's deposit ddl is June 1st.
2.still on Harvard, Stanford, Columbia and Chicago's waitlists...my dream school is Stanford (Harvard>Columbia>Chicago). Any chance to push these schools esp. HLS and SLS with NYU's offer? I know Harvard and Columbia will start reviewing WL applications by late May.

Thanks a lot!

p.s. I am an international applicant. The visa issue makes the waitlist management process more cumbersome:(

FirmBiz
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Waitlist dilemma

Postby FirmBiz » Tue May 26, 2015 10:53 am

crystalchiyu wrote:JD applicant for class of 2018 seeking advice and help on managing the waitlist dilemma:
1. secured the seat of Northwestern by end of April but got NYU's admission from the waitlist a few days ago: shall I decline NW's offer (with 60K scholarship) and take NYU's (still waiting for their review feedback to my financial aid application)? NYU's deposit ddl is June 1st.
2.still on Harvard, Stanford, Columbia and Chicago's waitlists...my dream school is Stanford (Harvard>Columbia>Chicago). Any chance to push these schools esp. HLS and SLS with NYU's offer? I know Harvard and Columbia will start reviewing WL applications by late May.

Thanks a lot!

p.s. I am an international applicant. The visa issue makes the waitlist management process more cumbersome:(


I believe you can double deposit and be fine. The overlap report came out already, AFAIK it doesn't get updated, so no one will know you have two deposits in.

I think you are more likely to play NW and NYU than Harvard, etc. You should be able to secure a larger deal from NW with the NYU leverage

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Waitlist dilemma

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 26, 2015 11:03 am

Between NYU & Northwestern, much depends upon your career aspirations. If seeking NYC biglaw, then NYU is probably better for you. I agree with the above post that Northwestern might offer increased scholarship money based on your NYU acceptance.
A letter of continuing interest (LOCI) to Harvard should suffice as acceptances to NYU & Northwestern are unlikely to prompt Harvard to pursue you.

crystalchiyu
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:46 am

Re: Waitlist dilemma

Postby crystalchiyu » Tue May 26, 2015 12:17 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Between NYU & Northwestern, much depends upon your career aspirations. If seeking NYC biglaw, then NYU is probably better for you. I agree with the above post that Northwestern might offer increased scholarship money based on your NYU acceptance.
A letter of continuing interest (LOCI) to Harvard should suffice as acceptances to NYU & Northwestern are unlikely to prompt Harvard to pursue you.


Thanks! Just got NYU's email indicating no money from the school, which is really frustrating.

User avatar
dnptan
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Re: Waitlist dilemma

Postby dnptan » Tue May 26, 2015 6:41 pm

International here. I pulled out of NYU a few weeks ago. I wouldn't stress too much about your visa issue. NYU got my I-20 delivered to me 10 days after I applied for it. To be clear: it arrived in my physical address in just over a week.

E-mail NW and tell them the NYU deadline is June 1, and you would be inclined to refuse their offer should NW offer a better deal. Worst case scenario is that they won't. They won't retract their offer so don't be scared.

As for the choice, assuming they remain NYU - sticker vs. NW - $, figure out what you want to do with your law degree. Do you want to practice in the Midwest and save money? NW. Do you want to practice anywhere else in the US and money isn't an issue? NYU. Do you plan to pursue business? NW.

Browse the programs and see what fits your goals. Rankings are useful and all but absolute ranking should only be a guide not a prescription. Your situation is unique to you so analyze it as such.

Chrstgtr
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:53 am

Re: Waitlist dilemma

Postby Chrstgtr » Tue May 26, 2015 8:21 pm

Anywhere at sticker is way to expensive for LS. NU also overestimates the COL, which makes the added cost of NYU even greater. If these are the only two options, I think this is an easy decision for NU unless you have money that I cannot imagine as sticker at NYU is soul-crushing debt.

I also doubt anyone will care about your acceptance to NYU without any money; they know attending at sticker is just too expensive and/or NYU is a peer/inferior school.

If you're so against NU you should sit out a cycle and hope to improve your numbers or go to someplace with Cornell with a comparable scholarship to what you have now.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cheaptilts and 6 guests