Is taking community college classes worth it in my case

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dontrogerthat

Is taking community college classes worth it in my case

Postby dontrogerthat » Sun May 24, 2015 11:50 pm

I have successfully withdrawn from a class I received a C in bringing my LSAC GPA up to 3.67ish(?). Would it be worth it to take 3 classes this summer at a community college to raise that to a 3.7. I'd love to attend a T6 school which I think is somewhat realistic since I am a URM (not AA). Would a 3.7 set me over the edge compared to a 3.67-3.68? Any opinion is appreciated!

LawsRUs

Re: Is taking community college classes worth it in my case

Postby LawsRUs » Mon May 25, 2015 5:50 am

Three classes will eat up a lot of time. Better if you spend that time studying for the LSAT. GL

haus

Postby haus » Mon May 25, 2015 8:41 am

LawsRUs wrote:Three classes will eat up a lot of time. Better if you spend that time studying for the LSAT. GL

I agree, squeezing everything you can out of the LSAT seems to be the better play.

PodPeople

Postby PodPeople » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:59 pm

FWIW, I went to a community college before I transferred to a top liberal arts school. I found that my hardest class out of all my courses was actually at my CC. Many CC teachers take their work - and their student's work - very seriously. It all depends on the teacher, really. I'm just saying, don't assume because a class is at a community college that it is an easy A. While that might be the case for some CC classes, it is not the case for all of them. I agree that working on your LSAT score is likely more beneficial. Good luck! : )

kevgogators

Postby kevgogators » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:02 pm

Negligible advantage...save the time, effort, and $

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:05 pm

PodPeople wrote:FWIW, I went to a community college before I transferred to a top liberal arts school. I found that my hardest class out of all my courses was actually at my CC. Many CC teachers take their work - and their student's work - very seriously. It all depends on the teacher, really. I'm just saying, don't assume because a class is at a community college that it is an easy A. While that might be the case for some CC classes, it is not the case for all of them. I agree that working on your LSAT score is likely more beneficial. Good luck! : )

Same situation here. CC classes can be much harder than 4-year school classes. But on average, they're probably easier in that the other students tend to not GIF meaning that if you do the readings you can get the grade. But then again, there's always that tyrannical chem professor who needs to prove how smart he is by not giving out any A's.

#notbitter

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”