Diversity Statement Topic Help (Please move to URM)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AlexandraHope

Diversity Statement Topic Help (Please move to URM)

Postby AlexandraHope » Sat May 23, 2015 2:27 am

I'm an AA female and I've been thinking about my topics for my personal, why law, and diversity statements. Since I have had a rather uninteresting life, I'm trying to avoid the same topics in each essay as much as possible. I don't want to talk about being an "oreo" as I feel like the topic is overdone. So I was thinking with all the police brutality against minorities in the news lately, I could talk about the internal conflict of me wanting to believe in the justice system and recognizing that it needs change. I've always had good experiences with police officers and the law in general. Although, I have my fair share of cousins whom are in and out jail. Is that a good topic for a diversity statement? Please help

Mods: Could you please move this to URM.

Skool

Re: Diversity Statement Topic Help (Please move to URM)

Postby Skool » Sat May 23, 2015 8:38 am

Your instincts on being an Oreo are good. It's a dead horse.

The cousins thing could be interesting. I wouldn't necessarily approach it from the angle of policing but maybe. But, why are you apparently heading to law school while your cousins are in and out of jail. You all come from similar socio economic backgrounds ( I'm assuming cause you're cousins) how and when did your futures diverge? Where does policing come in? Education? Poverty? Policing?

Maybe you are boring, but maybe your family's history collectively represents something interesting about america and maybe it gives you an interesting perspective.

AlexandraHope

Re: Diversity Statement Topic Help (Please move to URM)

Postby AlexandraHope » Sat May 23, 2015 11:46 am

Skool wrote:Your instincts on being an Oreo are good. It's a dead horse.

The cousins thing could be interesting. I wouldn't necessarily approach it from the angle of policing but maybe. But, why are you apparently heading to law school while your cousins are in and out of jail. You all come from similar socio economic backgrounds ( I'm assuming cause you're cousins) how and when did your futures diverge? Where does policing come in? Education? Poverty? Policing?

Maybe you are boring, but maybe your family's history collectively represents something interesting about america and maybe it gives you an interesting perspective.

My mom moved away from my original hometown in Mississippi after she received her college degree. I was raised in the suburbs of Memphis.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”