Worth it to get my private investigator's license?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jaydee

Worth it to get my private investigator's license?

Postby Jaydee » Fri May 22, 2015 12:56 pm

I can obtain it easily since I meet all of the requirements for New York State. I'll take just a couple of hours of studying and paying fees, insurance, etc...
My questions are: Should I bother? will law schools even care? I intend to go solo/small firm; will having a PI license add any value to the practice of law?

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Fri May 22, 2015 12:58 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Worth it to get my private investigator's license?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 22, 2015 1:11 pm

I don't think schools will care. As for practice, if you go into litigation (which is where I presume being a PI would help), you can't actually investigate your own cases, because if you're the lawyer on a case, you can't also be a witness. That is, if you find anything through your investigation that you need to admit at trial, you won't be able to do so through your own testimony. So while it might be helpful to have a PI license to be able to know what investigation needs to be done, and I'd imagine that you'd be able to use information you found out in pretrial negotiation stuff, as a practicing lawyer you would most likely have to hire a PI anyway, so that you would have someone to testify about the evidence at trial.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”