Which grades matter for admission? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
johnnyx5

New

Which grades matter for admission?

Post by johnnyx5 » Thu May 21, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi all I will graduate from a state school w/a history degree after 2 more semesters and will likely have a 3.8-3.9 GPA. However since I will only be 20 years old upon graduating I will be attending a US service academy (probably coast guard) in Fall 2016. If I graduate from this academy with a lower GPA in a different degree and then wish to apply to law school even later in life (upon graduating have to serve 5 years min) which GPA will be taken into account for my law school admissions? My high one from the state school or my most likely lower one from the CGA? do I choose which transcripts to send or will I send both or what exactly?

Auxilio

Silver

Re: Which grades matter for admission?

Post by Auxilio » Thu May 21, 2015 3:10 pm

Every grade earned UP TO your first degree count. So if you get a degree before going to the academy that is all that counts.

johnnyx5

New

Post by johnnyx5 » Thu May 21, 2015 7:36 pm

Auxilio wrote:Every grade earned UP TO your first degree count. So if you get a degree before going to the academy that is all that counts.
great thanks so much!

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Thu May 21, 2015 8:58 pm

Auxilio wrote:Every grade earned UP TO your first bachelor's degree count. So if you get a degree before going to the academy that is all that counts.
Just for clarification, the degree needs to be a four year degree. Then your LSAC GPA will be locked in, everything after that will just be a soft. Good luck!

johnnyx5

New

Post by johnnyx5 » Fri May 22, 2015 12:15 am

thanks I found this really helpful. So just to clarify would this plan work:

I am planning on leaving literally one 3 credit class towards my degree so that in the event I do not go to a service academy, I can go to school for my jr year (on full scholly) and take a bunch of fluffy classes impertinent to my degree for the sole reason to boost my GPA, then once my GPA is at a desirable level, I can take the one class and graduate with my history degree. Would this work?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kevgogators

Bronze

Post by kevgogators » Fri May 22, 2015 12:44 am

johnnyx5 wrote:thanks I found this really helpful. So just to clarify would this plan work:

I am planning on leaving literally one 3 credit class towards my degree so that in the event I do not go to a service academy, I can go to school for my jr year (on full scholly) and take a bunch of fluffy classes impertinent to my degree for the sole reason to boost my GPA, then once my GPA is at a desirable level, I can take the one class and graduate with my history degree. Would this work?

Yeah, should work fine. Any classes you take before graduation for your first bachelor's degree counts towards GPA calculation. Lots of ppl do this at community colleges.

johnnyx5

New

Post by johnnyx5 » Fri May 22, 2015 12:52 am

kevgogators wrote:
johnnyx5 wrote:thanks I found this really helpful. So just to clarify would this plan work:

Yeah, should work fine. Any classes you take before graduation for your first bachelor's degree counts towards GPA calculation. Lots of ppl do this at community colleges.

wow. not that i feel guilty at all but it's crazy how you can just game the system like that :D

gracy12

New

Post by gracy12 » Fri May 22, 2015 8:25 am

According to me,applicants whose official transcripts verify completion of an Associate of Arts Degree with a satisfactory grade point average from an approved community college may be admitted as Regular Students. Further, applicants whose official transcripts verify completion of 60 academic semester units with a minimum cumulative g.p.a. of 2.00 at approved institutions may be considered as well. Such work, however, must be not less than one-half of the collegiate work acceptable for a Bachelor’s Degree.

Specter1389

Bronze

Post by Specter1389 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:59 pm

johnnyx5 wrote:Hi all I will graduate from a state school w/a history degree after 2 more semesters and will likely have a 3.8-3.9 GPA. However since I will only be 20 years old upon graduating I will be attending a US service academy (probably coast guard) in Fall 2016. If I graduate from this academy with a lower GPA in a different degree and then wish to apply to law school even later in life (upon graduating have to serve 5 years min) which GPA will be taken into account for my law school admissions? My high one from the state school or my most likely lower one from the CGA? do I choose which transcripts to send or will I send both or what exactly?
Just curious, but why would you go to a service academy after having already earned your degree? I graduated from the Air Force Academy and can tell you the main purpose of attending is to earn your commission. If you already have a 4 year degree, you should just apply to OCS for the Coast Guard if your goal is to serve as an officer.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:02 pm

Yeah, why go to a service academy if you already have a bachelors? (Assuming you're even eligible). Just apply to OCS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”