Applying to law school without junior year grades?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
groot

Applying to law school without junior year grades?

Postby groot » Wed May 20, 2015 5:56 pm

I have a unique situation. I'm currently in my junior year studying abroad, and my university has one exam per class as the only grade for the entire year. I've had to defer taking the exam and the only option is to take them this time next year, after I finish my senior year at my regular university.
So I will be receiving my junior year grades in the summer of next year and will have technically graduated then.

My question is, can I apply to law schools only showing my freshman, sophomore, and possibly fall of senior year transcripts? I have not taken the LSAT but am preparing and am confident I will score high enough for a T14 school. Is this something I should put into writing when I prepare my application? I can get proof from the school if need be. I just don't want to take a gap year.

CanadianWolf

Re: Applying to law school without junior year grades?

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 20, 2015 6:42 pm

Law schools want to know that you'll graduate before matriculating. You should communicate with the admissions offices of each law school to which you plan to apply so that they are aware of your situation & can advise you on how best to proceed.

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Thu May 21, 2015 7:36 am

This definitely seems to be a textbook case of where a short addendum will go a long way. Keep it simple like you just did and I doubt it'll be held against you. Or, if you decide to take a year off, the situation resolves itself.

groot

Postby groot » Thu May 21, 2015 1:11 pm

antiworldly wrote:This definitely seems to be a textbook case of where a short addendum will go a long way. Keep it simple like you just did and I doubt it'll be held against you. Or, if you decide to take a year off, the situation resolves itself.

The study abroad courses are also P/NP which I heard aren't even seen in the LSAC GPA.

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:18 pm

I definitely agree that a short addendum is the way to go. Don't want adcoms thinking there's some kind of shenanigans going on causing you to have a semester if Incompletes.

The only thing that could, in theory, be a tiny issue is if you don't have 60 graded hours when you apply. If that's the case, LSAC would not compute a GPA for you, which could actually be a GOOD thing depending on your GPA and schools you're targeting.

For example, I had an applicant this year who tested out of like 40+ hours and applied in the fall so all of the Fall 2014 courses were "In Progress" leaving him with less than 60 graded hours from Fall 2012 through Spring 2014. In your case, if you came in with some dual-credit/credit-by-exam hours, took light-ish loads your first two years, it's conceivable that without credit for your entire junior year you might not reach the 60 credit threshold.

Dean Perez
Texas Tech Law

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”