Top School Chances with a Low GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
neelam199

Top School Chances with a Low GPA?

Postby neelam199 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:53 pm

I’m a Canadian student, at a top ranked school with a gpa that went from a 1.9 to a 3.0. I have two more semesters to go and am hoping to pull it up to a 3.5, but still, that won’t be cumulative. I have not started studying for the LSAT yet, which I planned to take in October but am now reconsidering. I’m wondering whether or not to take a year off and focus more attention on the LSAT.

If I score in the 170’s, do you think I have any chance of getting into a t14 school? My dream schools would be NYU or Columbia but obviously I'm trying to stay realistic!

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Poldy

Re: Top School Chances with a Low GPA?

Postby Poldy » Tue May 19, 2015 5:57 pm

That's all pretty useless info without the cumulative GPA. The upward trend is probably good but cumulative is what matters.

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Tue May 19, 2015 6:02 pm

So you dont have a firm gpa or an lsat score yet? Not sure how helpful this exercise could possibly be for you.

But people certainly get into t14 schools with low 3s and 170s lsat scores. Get to it. Good luck.

Abraham Lincoln Uni.

Postby Abraham Lincoln Uni. » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:50 pm

Hi there!

I hope all is well.

Cumulative GPA is important for law school admissions, but it’s important to check what the admissions requirements are and also see where you can present yourself strongly even with a lower GPA. Contacting and visiting law schools that you are interested in directly to explain your situation can give you ideas on how to present yourself more strongly.

If you end up taking a year off to prepare for the LSAT, you may want to consider doing activities that show your commitment to really making law your career path that you can also write about in your personal statement, even if it’s on a volunteer basis. You can also take online classes at your local community college or university to bring up your cumulative GPA so your application can be stronger. Also keep in mind, GPA, LSAT scores, extracurriculars, letters of recommendation, and your personal statement all play a factor in the admission process.

Hat.trick

Postby Hat.trick » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:59 pm

Hmmmm it could be tough with a 3.5 (i am assuming this is cumulative or this thread is useless) to get into NYU and columbia. You would have to score at least a 172 to have a chance

hamyeezy

Postby hamyeezy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:29 am

Deleted
Last edited by hamyeezy on Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:57 am

Don't forget that a lot of Canadian schools just take last 2 or 3 years. Don't rule out that option unless you have a really good reason, Canadian schools are generally a lot cheaper which is important to consider.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:14 am

Some Canadian law schools throw out grades from your worst two semesters.

celtslaw

Postby celtslaw » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:39 pm

Abraham Lincoln Uni. wrote:Hi there!

I hope all is well.

Cumulative GPA is important for law school admissions, but it’s important to check what the admissions requirements are and also see where you can present yourself strongly even with a lower GPA. Contacting and visiting law schools that you are interested in directly to explain your situation can give you ideas on how to present yourself more strongly.

If you end up taking a year off to prepare for the LSAT, you may want to consider doing activities that show your commitment to really making law your career path that you can also write about in your personal statement, even if it’s on a volunteer basis. You can also take online classes at your local community college or university to bring up your cumulative GPA so your application can be stronger. Also keep in mind, GPA, LSAT scores, extracurriculars, letters of recommendation, and your personal statement all play a factor in the admission process.

LOL online lawl schools trolling TLS. http://www.alu.edu/

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”