LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION ADVICE Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
scho24

New

LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION ADVICE

Post by scho24 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:05 am

Hi all,

I currently work for a member of Congress and I'm thinking of asking him for a letter of recommendation.

I'm hesitant however, because there seems to be a stigma against getting LOR's from famous people or people in positions of power. I would understand this if the LOR was through daddy's connection or someone you don't really know. But as a Legislative staffer i actually work for this guy. I staff him for committee hearings and events, i write his talking points, and pitch legislation.

I'm afraid that i won't be given the benefit of the doubt and the LOR will just be thrown to the side and disregarded.

What're your thoughts???

P.S. For what it's worth, i think he can provide me with a better rec letter than some undergrad professor i had in a 100 person lecture 3 years ago...

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Re: LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION ADVICE

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Tue May 19, 2015 11:08 am

Go with your gut. I'd ask and if he feels inclined and also feels he would write you a glowing rec letter, I'd absolutely go for it. He'll be able to speak about your work performance/professionalism which is what you want from an employer rec. I'd also have an academic rec to pair with it though.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:25 am

I agree with OBOB. Also, if you have that as a line on your resume that you've worked for him, and he mentions your work in his letter (and why wouldn't he?), they're going to be able to realize it's a genuine recommendation rather than a favor to a donor's kid or whatever.

wonka

Bronze

Post removed.

Post by wonka » Tue May 19, 2015 11:54 am

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RunnerRunner

Bronze

Post by RunnerRunner » Tue May 19, 2015 12:20 pm

scho24 wrote:Hi all,

I currently work for a member of Congress and I'm thinking of asking him for a letter of recommendation.

I'm hesitant however, because there seems to be a stigma against getting LOR's from famous people or people in positions of power. I would understand this if the LOR was through daddy's connection or someone you don't really know. But as a Legislative staffer i actually work for this guy. I staff him for committee hearings and events, i write his talking points, and pitch legislation.

I'm afraid that i won't be given the benefit of the doubt and the LOR will just be thrown to the side and disregarded.

What're your thoughts???

P.S. For what it's worth, i think he can provide me with a better rec letter than some undergrad professor i had in a 100 person lecture 3 years ago...
Always go with the people who can best speak to your academic/professional potential. Sounds like in this case it is the congressperson. Don't worry: adcoms can tell the difference between a letter written from someone's father's friend and a letter written by someone who actually knows you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”