Schools for non trad + public interest

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
robertloblawslawblog

Schools for non trad + public interest

Postby robertloblawslawblog » Sat May 16, 2015 7:11 pm

Last edited by robertloblawslawblog on Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Poldy

Re: Schools for non trad + public interest

Postby Poldy » Sat May 16, 2015 7:15 pm

I think any of those schools would be sufficiently hilarious to have on your resume while pushing for "economic justice".

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Sat May 16, 2015 7:22 pm

Being a lawyer is not the best way to advocate for economic justice. If that's your passion, do something else.
Plaintiffs firms will probably care about your grades and school ranking. State politics usually care about grades and your ties (including going to school in the state). DC regulatory agencies will be a tough nut to crack from anywhere.
Be wary of going to law school for PI without (a) a deep, true-believer passion to work in PI or (b) a full ride. You don't strike me as (a), so you shouldn't take on a bunch of debt hoping to do PI while on LRAP since you'll probably change your mind.
So pick a school that gives you money. With your numbers, you'll have a tough time justifying a T14:
No school will be better or worse for you as a nontrad.

robertloblawslawblog

Postby robertloblawslawblog » Sat May 16, 2015 10:46 pm

Last edited by robertloblawslawblog on Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Poldy

Postby Poldy » Sat May 16, 2015 11:05 pm

I'm sure there are and they're all funny too.

robertloblawslawblog

Postby robertloblawslawblog » Sat May 16, 2015 11:14 pm

Last edited by robertloblawslawblog on Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun May 17, 2015 12:45 am

lol at plantiffs firms being public interest.

Poldy

Postby Poldy » Sun May 17, 2015 1:09 am

robertloblawslawblog wrote:Is it funny because they make more money than your bosses and don't hate their jobs?

If they make more money than my bosses and still claim to be fighting for economic justice then it's even funnier than I thought.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun May 17, 2015 6:14 am

NU likes splitters and has pretty great clinic opportunities. It also has a slightly older student body than most schools. Career services people didn't know what to do with me since I didn't want biglaw, but I suspect that would be the case at most of the T14.

Lawgenius

Postby Lawgenius » Sun May 17, 2015 6:30 am

RancidSumo wrote:
robertloblawslawblog wrote:Is it funny because they make more money than your bosses and don't hate their jobs?

If they make more money than my bosses and still claim to be fighting for economic justice then it's even funnier than I thought.

Is it still funny in mandarin language?

robertloblawslawblog

Postby robertloblawslawblog » Sun May 17, 2015 8:40 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Career services people didn't know what to do with me since I didn't want biglaw, but I suspect that would be the case at most of the T14.

Neither does anyone on top-law-schools.com. :...(

Thanks! Interesting. I do like Chicagoland.

Plaintiffs firm need rebranding (on this forum at least) but if you look at Lieff Cabraser, Outten and Golden, Bredhoff and Kaiser and maybe 20 other firms, they do amazing work. They serve their clients and themselves, sure. But the public is helped in a lot of their cases more broadly. They're making sure interns are paid. They're deterring employment discrimination in fortune 500 companies. They're preventing wage theft. I think those issues are super interesting and the government doesn't have the resources and/or willpower to litigate them all.

Take this guy for example- http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/02/02/bug-system He is a plaintiffs attorney. Would anyone say his actions have not benefited the public's interest?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”